HI, can anyone help? Is my bulldog has skin problem?

jxonla

Aug 25, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Humber
Good evening,

I'm new to this forum, i have 2 English Bulldog.

One is 1 Years old (Male) Humber & 4 Months old (Female).

earlier when i play with my Male Bulldog (Humber) I found his skin is has some problem. Attach is the picture of how it look.

May i ask if anyone could help me and knows whats happen to him.

Sorry if i post in the wrong thread< please guide me to the right place.

Thank you very much.

2012-08-25 19.47.49.jpg

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Hi there and Welcome to the site! It could be a hotspot and thats what Im thinking...I would have the vet do a scrape to be sure its nothing too serious. I would shave the area and clean it very good and dry well....If it is a hotspot it needs air to dry out. Others will be by with more advice for you! Hope things get better and hope its nothing serious but you should do a skin scrape to just give peace of mind :) Ill tag some peeps to help out! [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION]

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
From what I can see it looks like a rash or dermatitis, possibly a skin infection. Anything new like new type of food, treats, laundry soap, toys, trees, flowers, more household stress than usual, ect? Basically have you changed anything in the past weeks?

You will probably want to visit your vet but for now you can try anti itch creme and benedryl to see if it goes down. Benedryl is 1mg per pound. I would go see your vet just in case antibiotics are needed.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

OP
J

jxonla

Aug 25, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Humber
Hi ChanelnBrutus,

Thanks for your fast respond. will that effect my other Bulldog as well, They live in the same room, should i bring him out?

Thanks again for your help. Have a good night.

OP
J

jxonla

Aug 25, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Humber
Hi desertskybulldogs,

Thanks for your reply.

Nothing has been change for the last few week, He eats fine and act normal.

But i found his has 2 spot has the same problem. is it very serious?

Thank you.

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
If its left untreated it could be serious depending what it is. Usually when you first see it as you have and now you are going to treat it should be fine.Keep it as clean as you can and like [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] said use some anti itch creme. I would get the vet to do a skin scrape. Its quick and easy to determine what this is. What are you currently feeding him?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=5806]jxonla[/MENTION] yes, that appears to be the beginnings of a hotspot. shave the hair from the area, clean with hydrogen peroxide and then clean daily with Listerine... the key is to keep the area clean and dry. These are normally a result of allergies which weaken the immune system and then you start to see these red, moist spots(sores).

What are you feeding your bullies?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
you have already gotten good advice. might be a food issue if it is a hotspot.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Hi desertskybulldogs,

Thanks for your reply.

Nothing has been change for the last few week, He eats fine and act normal.

But i found his has 2 spot has the same problem. is it very serious?

Thank you.

Hot sports or staph infections are not contagious.They are also very common. Keep the spots dry and clean, if they smell bad, wash and dry with antibacterial soap. a mixture of water and apple cider vinegar to rinse and leave on, will balance the ph level in the skin. I would also call the vet on Monday to have it checked by a professional since it is an open sore.

OP
J

jxonla

Aug 25, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Humber
Hi,

Thanks for all of your information. I didn't change any food for a while, he is still eating dry food as usual.

I did put some anti itch creme on him last night & hope he can get better.

It doesn't smell bad but his hair keep loosing on couple of spot.

May i ask normally how long will it take to recover?

I won't be free cause work till Wednesday, will it be too late to take him to the vet or i could wait ??

May i ask what do you guys feel your bulldogs?? I hear people feed them meat as well could i do it to make him my healthy ??

Also, He is living in the same room with the other bulldog, will the other get effect too??

Thanks again for all your help.

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi,

Thanks for all of your information. I didn't change any food for a while, he is still eating dry food as usual.

I did put some anti itch creme on him last night & hope he can get better.

It doesn't smell bad but his hair keep loosing on couple of spot.

May i ask normally how long will it take to recover?

I won't be free cause work till Wednesday, will it be too late to take him to the vet or i could wait ??

May i ask what do you guys feel your bulldogs?? I hear people feed them meat as well could i do it to make him my healthy ??

Also, He is living in the same room with the other bulldog, will the other get effect too??

Thanks again for all your help.

When you say they live in the same room do you mean they just have a room or they get to roam also? Hot spots arent contagious so I wouldnt worry about that...I feed Brutus Fromm Grain free food...We have a food recomendations page that will help find a great rated food for your bullie...If its not gone by Wed I would have the vet take a look at it to make sure its nothing more than a hotspot..If it is then it may not go away until you find the allergy causing it :)

OP
J

jxonla

Aug 25, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Humber
When you say they live in the same room do you mean they just have a room or they get to roam also? Hot spots arent contagious so I wouldnt worry about that...I feed Brutus Fromm Grain free food...We have a food recomendations page that will help find a great rated food for your bullie...If its not gone by Wed I would have the vet take a look at it to make sure its nothing more than a hotspot..If it is then it may not go away until you find the allergy causing it :)

Hi,

I have another bulldog live in the same room as the one got hot spots.

I just shave Humber the hot spots areas, I found he has 3 hot spots on him. and i put anti itch creme on him again. Hope he can get well soon.

for right now i still can't think of what case the allergy, he's been eating the same food and i keep his area very clean.

If that still don't go away then i will take him to the vet on Wed.

May i ask how long does hot spots least??

gracoliv

Jan 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie and Oliver
He will likely get hot spots until you find out what is causing it. As someone said, this is VERY COMMON in english bulldogs. My dog had a hot spot for 2 YEARS. I tried many expensive, Ultra Premium foods before I found one that worked for both of my dogs. It is not uncommon for them to develop an allergy so what you were feeding before may not be fine now. Additionally, reactions to vaccinations can cause "allergies" to appear. You did not say what you are feeding, but it should be of good quality, grain free would be nice, meat as first ingrediant, also supplement diet with fish oils etc... Also be conscious of any treats people may give them; I have had people give my dogs pieces of hot dog that they have reacted to. When doing food trials, you really need to limit the number of ingredients they are getting (try a "limited ingrediant diet (LID)" for example "dick van patten's LID Natural Balance" which has only 2 Ingrediants like Venison & Sweet Potato), you would try that for 6 weeks and see if it clears up. It seems many people here feed Fromm 4 Star (as I do) and their dogs do very nicely on that as well. Ultimately you will need to find what works best for yours. Good luck, I know how frustrating this can be, in the mean time make sure he is comfortable and watch for ithciness (treat with benedryl). Also when you take him to the VET, resist being sold the food they sell there its really not that great (IMHO).

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online