Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Where do I even start? Today was a beautiful day in Washington State. Perfect weather to play outside in the pool and sprinkler. I was outside with my book, Vegas was in his kennel taking his afternoon nap....and Orion? She was soaking up creosote between her toes. Yes. Orion was sitting on the railroad ties that the builder used to build up and level the backyard. She loves to pretend she on a balance beam and walks back and forth on it. Vegas, being alot bigger than her, will do the same, except he can only get one back and one front leg on the ties.

I was just about to meet my husband for dinner. Orion was standing on the coffee table like she usually does. I happen to glance down and see two big black marks on my wood table. I start looking more carefully around my house and I'm seeing black marks everywhere. Apparently, with the sun beating down on the wood, the creosote is like liquid. It is matted in between her toes, caked in the fur. She has spots on her legs and her belly.

I take her upstairs and throw her in the tub. Her regular shampoo does little to detangle the thick goo of creosote stuck in her fur. So, I try another type of shampoo..which does little to help. My husband brings up the dish soap and I try that. Nope. Orion, meanwhile...is tap dancing all over the tub..leaving little black smudge marks on the bottom of the tub. Not only is she transferring it from her feet to the tub, but it's also transferring from the tub back onto her feet.

Here is the tub when I finally pulled her out. She still has it stuck in the fur between her toes and I've gotten a few suggestions on stuff to try for tomorrow.

Here is my question. I have creosote on my lawn furniture. I tried dish soap and it didn't work. I had creosote on my linoleum floor which a small amount of lighter fluid took care of. I have creosote on my carpet, on my wood coffee table and in the tub (which bleach took care of)

What would you try next on her feet and on the lawn furniture? Also, I want to find something to seal the railroad ties so that the creosote doesn't transfer onto the pups any more. Any and all suggestions are welcome

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:bang: oyyyyyyyyy! Well..I have experience with Tar and brand new carpet! My daughter was in high school and a runner. She went out for a run and tracked wet tar all over our new light carpet. :cursing: we tried everything in a panic..and goo b gone worked. I'm sure it would work on her feet too..but I wouldn't risk it. Maybe peanut butter? It gets gum out of hair. Ice cubes will harden it..and might make it easier to chip out. Jeeeez..what a mess.. Sorry Cheryl..

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Baby oil? Wow what a mess!!!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Im not much help her Cheryl...Im just picturing her tap dancing in the tub while you are cursing inside :blink: She was thinking well what did I do.

I agree on trying the baby oil, peanut butter, cocoa butter. I use the MrCleaan Magic Erarser for everything and it works on it all! You might need a couple as they dont last as long as they say and especially its a tough job. Im not much help on these things.. :hug:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION]...HAHAHAHA, life is sure NEVER dull at your house!

Wishing good luck finding safe, effective and gentle remover of all creosote, Ugh!

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
If the goo-gone doesn't work I know name brand Purell (hand sanitizer) will remove permenant black marker from skin...might do the creosote too. I'd try that then just wash her like normal to get all the alcohol off that is in the purell.
Oh...and...."Orion was standing on the coffee table like she usually does" What?! I gotta see some pics of that! LOL
Good luck with the cleaning adventure!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
What a mess. Unfortunately I don't think there is much you can do with the timbers to stop the tar from oozing out when it's warm. Spray polyurethane might help, but it might just turn flaky white and the tar will ooze through anyway.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
what about orange solvent? it is used alot in our Dental office to get rid of adhesives from alginate trays and other things. Also it claims to be just from oranges, the oils from the orange skin.

Poor Baby O, even when she tries to behave, she gets in trouble.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OMG..... guess you didn't go out to dinner with hubby? Goo-b-gone is also my suggestion, but I have no idea what to do about the sealing of the ties... no clue

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] Cheryl you need to get Orion in this book....

http://www.amazon.com/Bulldog-Bad-Boys-Pretty-Uncontrollabull/dp/1607550288/ref=pd_sim_misc_1

Book Description
Publication Date: January 15, 2009
Noted for their sweet dispositions, bulldogs also at times demonstrate a shockingly nefarious nature. This book documents an astounding array of their canine transgressions. Follow these bulldog perps in word and picture as they shake, waddle and roll through a wave of crimes that include indecent exposure; fleeing the scene of an accident; soliciting; public nuisance; malicious mischief, and many more. We advise all bulldog fans and owners to be on the lookout for similar canine misdeeds in their homes and neighborhoods.

KelseyandAtticus

Aug 8, 2012
Athens, West Virginia, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Atticus
My dad works on the railroad and he gets creosote on everything! Oven cleaner will get the stains off of your furniture and tub....the foamy kind, the cheaper the better. Poor Orion I'm not so sure the best thing I know to do is like removes like so try some type of oil

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Since the railroad ties goes all the way across the back fence of our yard, and there is a considerable drop behind the ties and a fairly large space from the ties to the backyard fence...we were thinking of trying to place wood/fence boards/or something similiar over the top of the railroad ties that would also cover the drop. Orion fell behind the ties when she was a puppy and since Vegas isn't as small, he also tries to "walk the plank" but often slips a foot and falls.

[MENTION=3756]MamaAndi[/MENTION] Here is a video just for you. I have a spray bottle on the coffee table that Orion thinks I put there so she can demand a drink when she wants and I'm to be at her disposal. In reality, it's there to distract Vegas (a spray on the tush) when he gets fixated on something (like a toy that IS NOT UNDER THE COUCH) then he will stop and want to drink from the bottle.
This video was taken just a few minutes ago.

We are going to try baby oil and p-nut butter for her feet. The dish soap did remove alot of the non-caked surface stuff. I will try the oven cleaner on my outdoor furniture. Spot shot on the carpet and furniture. Her kennel pad...isn't that bad....and it's actually a back up while I try and find someone to sew the cover on her memory foam cover.

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]

I'm ordering that book right NOW. Thanks for sharing!

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
what about Vaseline Petroleum Jelly ?? I know things like Gasoline and Paint thinner work... as its Petroleum based, would Vaseline work (but be safer?)

Dawn Dishwasher detergent ?

I would definately cover the ties, encapsulate them, maybe with that 'Trex Lumber' ? (the recycled grocery store bags) throw lots of dirt and sand on them? to soak up the tar?

They are the only ideas I have.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.