Pet Loo vs Real Grass?

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
I live in an apartment and have no yard for my little Matilda to use. There are courtyards around the apartment for dogs, but I don't want her in there just yet because she hasn't finished her vaccinations.

I purchased the Pet Loo (http://www.thepetloo.com/the-loo/the-pet-loo/) as a solution, and have it on my balcony. It worked super well at first, and is much better than Weewee pads (in my opinion) since it is outside and simulates real grass.

Matilda really likes it, but the only thing is that the Pet Loo does not dry quickly nor absorb anything. It smells terrible (regardless of how often I rinse it), and I bought two grass sheets (so I can use the other while one dries), but the biggest issue is Matilda will use it, then the next time I take her potty, she will ROLL in it! And of course, SHE absorbs things quite well and I'm left with a filthy, pee-soaked puppy. I try to stop her from laying/sitting on the Loo but of course it's really out of my control.

I'm wondering if I should chuck the fake grass and keep the frame, and just fill it with some real dirt and grass! I also just discovered that Pet Loo makes a special cleaner for it (just ordered it, so we'll see) so that it won't smell so awful. I would just love to sit on my balcony without feeling like I'm bathing in urine.

Has anyone used the Pet Loo? Does anyone have a patch of real grass for their pup? Do you think the real grass would smell bad too? Is it easier to keep my fake grass than the maintenance on the real grass?

Thank you guys so much!

Holly

Taylor

Jul 10, 2012
Pittsburgh
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Charlotte Elizabeth
Well, real grass would need to be treated as such..you'd need proper soil, irrigation, and sunlight. I'm sure real grass that was soaked in urine a few times a day would quickly yellow and die. How far are you from full vaccines? If it's just a few days/weeks I would just keep using the loo and wait it out.

If not, maybe you can bring her outside to an area where there currently arent any dogs?

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
She won't get full vaccines until mid October!

I'm not so worried about dogs currently out there, I'm worried about areas that previously infected dogs have soiled... Parvo lives in dirt for up to TWO YEARS. :nope:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
how much longer before she gets her final round of shots??

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
That does not sound like fun at all... But I wanted to say I commend you for taking precautions!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.