How long did it take you to crate train?

widebody

Jun 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
fatz
Hello, this is my 1st Bulldog and he is by far the hardest dog I've ever had to crate train... I've had him a lil over 2 months he is 6 months old and still mess in crate almost daily. He will go like 2 days if I'm lucky, then back to peeing and pooping in the crate.... soooooo tired of buying news paper lol

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I hate to tell you this....but Jake never had an accident in his crate...I have a great resource to get some ideas on..it's an online dog magazine. It helped me so much with lots of stuff. We hadn't had a pup in like 20 years and never crate trained. I'll try and link it

www.canismajor.com/dog/topic1.html

Search under Index..then Dog Crates!

Last edited:
OP
widebody

widebody

Jun 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
fatz
Wow smdh.. ill have to check it out

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Do you think his crate may be too big for him? Do you find him laying in his mess?

I used an X-pen attached to Herman's crate and kept his crate door open all the time and that kept his crate accident free except for his short bout of peeing on things he wanted to claim as his, like his crate pad, blanket, which I kept washing, but as long as it smelled like pee he didnt pee on it again.

But it might be too late for an x-pen since your baby is 6 months, he'll just knock it over if he's strong enough. Herman will be 6 months in a couple of days, so Im trying to keep the pen open to get him used to not having it as it will just become something that takes up space very soon. I find that when I leave, he just goes back in to his pen or crate and that's where I find him when I return home. You can still try it though: attach the pen to the crate, put shower pan lining on the floor and cover with newspaper on the opposite side from his crate and teach him to use those papers, then take the papers away once he gets it.

I know I did a lot of things wrong with crate training him (in fact I didnt know I was crate training and can't really say Herman is crate trained since I never close the door), and he was the first dog I ever tried doing this with - coupled with him being afraid to walk down stairs. It took a good 2 months until he was house broken, I got him at about 12 weeks old, so by the time he was 5 months, we conquered the fear of walking down the stairs and he can now hold it for an amazing number of hours (9 hours has been the record so far).

I will say that with my Pekingese, he peed on anything that resembled paper! So just any paper he saw laying on the floor (bills, paper menus, etc) required peeing on. So possible, it could be as simple as removing the papers from his crate to get him to stop peeing on them. Its worth a shot. LOL

These are tips from someone who just learned about crates and crate training in June LOL

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.