"Extreme" Bully Breeding

redhed

Jun 22, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sancho
This came to my mind when reading the topic about the two bullies who are growing at different rates... and what people expect and want when they buy a bully. I'm definitely not saying this applies to that poster (both those dogs seem relatively normal), but it is a related topic.

A couple of weeks ago at the dog park, we met an older bulldog who was what I would consider an "extreme" example of bulldog breeding gone wrong. She was very long with a huge barrel chest, short, wide-spaced legs, and the longest underbite I've ever seen on any dog. Her front legs were so short and her chest so broad that her back was bowed to the point that her butt was about three inches higher than her shoulders... talk about back problems!

Granted she was old for a bulldog--about 7--but she looked like the most miserable dog I'd ever seen. She couldn't walk more than a few steps at a time (which made me wonder what she was doing at the dog park) and her owner said that because of her underbite, she'd never been able to eat/chew very well. Despite that, she was very overweight and had severe ectropian eyes. I asked her owner where he'd gotten her, and he said, "From a breeder--I looked forever for a breeder whose dogs looked like this." Granted, she was probably beautiful in her day, but her "bulldog" features were just so exaggerated that they made her life miserable. (To be fair again -- it was obvious this owner hadn't properly cared for her... her teeth were rotten and gross and her hair was falling out in patches, so it can't all be blamed on breeding but..... ).

Ugh. It just makes me shake my head...why would anyone purposely bring a life into the world that will be filled with pain? :stinkeye::stinkeye::stinkeye:

Last edited:

Heff102

I will show you my thingy if you show me yours!
Community Veteran
Jul 7, 2012
Humboldt, SK
Bulldog(s) Names
Lulu
To be fair I know of many humans who give birth who should not as well.

Not to mention the drugs and drinking they do when pregnant and the end results it causes then to have society look after those poor souls.

OP
redhed

redhed

Jun 22, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sancho
I agree. But, as far as I know, no one goes out and drinks and does drugs PURPOSELY to create a life that will suffer.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
@Heff LOL, poor bully crappy owners suck, if you get a bully you should know ahead of time that they are prone to issue and should address them as they arise. They should take that dog away from it's owner and give it to someone who will care for it properly

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Not to mention the drugs and drinking they do when pregnant and the end results it causes then to have society look after those poor souls.

:bravo:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
poor bully crappy owners suck, if you get a bully you should know ahead of time that they are prone to issue and should address them as they arise. They should take that dog away from it's owner and give it to someone who will care for it properly

excellent point, but most people do not research the needs of a breed and just buy the 'cute little' puppy they've always wanted and not understand what they are taking on.

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)

OMG!! I just spit out my beer!! and that is a party foul for sure. That was funny!!

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
It's kinda disheartening that more people don't do their homework before getting a dog, especially one as prone to issues as a bully. We were at a friends house with Bacon yesterday and my friends boyfriend asked us why we know so much about bully's and our reaction was like, well wouldn't you want to know what you are getting into before taking the plunge. Perhaps it is just because my wife and I are both very calculated and organized when it comes to things like this.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I think what is most worrying is that some people are breeding bullies that have those issues. It's like, well bullies have issues so it's OK there's nothing we can do about it.
As long as there is a buyer there is a seller. There are a lot of people out there that want a BIG AND WIDE bullie and on top of that don't do their home work on the possible issues that BIG AND WIDE can mean. Extreme and rare is fab and when you have one you must be fab too. It costs a lot so when you have one, so you must be rich too or people will think you are.

OP
redhed

redhed

Jun 22, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sancho
I think what is most worrying is that some people are breeding bullies that have those issues. It's like, well bullies have issues so it's OK there's nothing we can do about it.
As long as there is a buyer there is a seller. There are a lot of people out there that want a BIG AND WIDE bullie and on top of that don't do their home work on the possible issues that BIG AND WIDE can mean. Extreme and rare is fab and when you have one you must be fab too. It costs a lot so when you have one, so you must be rich too or people will think you are.

This is exactly what I was getting at. Having a bully is fine and dandy and all of us love them with all their quirks and issues. But, IMO, no ethical person would want to breed a living being for the bad characteristics of the breed.

Rescuing one? GREAT!!! they deserve a happy life -- it's not their fault some careless jerk bred them that way. Breeding them responsibly? AWESOME (give me a call!). But for G's sake, don't BREED for traits that end up hurting the animal in the long run. An animal is an animal, not an extension of oneself and they shouldn't be bred because they look "cute" or "tough" or "rich" or "extreme"...or because they make an owner look that way.

Of course, a pet is always going to add something to one's life... I do understand that. But, something that is preached over and over here and in other animal forums is that we add a whole lot to theirs, as well. And, I think as sentient beings we owe it to them to give them the best we can, including genetic traits.

I'm not calling out all bully breeders--far from it. There are some breeders who choose to do the right thing for the breed by trying to root out the worst of the bad traits. But there are some who actively work to do the opposite, and those are the ones that make me mad!

Last edited:

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

Well said. And about Bulldog breeders, and humans alike, responsible breeding is lacking.

Disclaimer: I am a breeder.

As a MAIN effort in our breeding program is educating prospective owners about the issues with Bulldogs and the challenges of owning one. I have spent up to an hour on the phone talking with someone, answering questions about issues, concerns and general ownership questions. Even if they do not end up with one of my puppies.

Being a "steward" of the breed is lacking for many breeders. I provide documentation and follow-up and have a great relationship.

The breeders over the past decades have changed the breed. Not all are responsible for adverse changes, but many have contributed. Since what is judged in the ring sets the "goal" of breeders, a large share of the problem also includes the judges. Who just happen to be breeders in many cases.

Learning what to do, how to properly take care of a Bulldog is an on-going challenge. I continue to learn something new all the time from EBN.

Good Day~

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
[MENTION=1869]ABEBD[/MENTION]

I show my Usko and most times he gets "run over" by the bigger boys and he is around standard at 59lbs without any extra. He's had good evaluations and highest grade, but the 1# price goes to the bigger and stockier one.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Judges....

They are a BIG part of the problem. "good-ole-boy (girl) syndrome" and one hand washes the other.

NOT all judges, so relax if you are a judge. You are the good one. :2thumbs:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I have seen several judges go for the "fat" males instead of a leaner more healthy bully. It's sad too, because I'd rather have a leaner healthy bully than an obese bully who's life will be cut short because of it.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.