Cornstarch

madelinekyle926

Aug 10, 2012
Massachusetts
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet but Doc will be his name
So I am a soon-to-be Bully owner and I've been doing a lot of research on the breed. A lot of websites say that you should clean Bulldogs' wrinkles every day with baby wipes and then to soak up the moisture to put cornstarch in the wrinkles as well to prevent moisture buildup and bacteria. But Bullys are also prone to yeast infections right? So wouldn't the cornstarch do more harm than good? What steps do you all take to clean your little friends' wrinkles?

Would appreciate as much detail as possible. Thanks!

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
We use unscented baby wipes on Bacon to clean his face, wrinkles, and other parts he needs help maintaining :loco2: If he is wet, like post bath, we just a little bit of baby powder in his wrinkles

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I did use baby wipes and Ftse got such an infection in his nose crease I have stopped using them I now just wipe him down with a damp cloth and always check his nose wrinkle and if there is any irritation I make a weak solution of Betadine (I'm not sure if you have this is in America) and wipe it with this then gause to make sure it is completely dry and cream if needed and this works for us.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Witch hazel works and is a natural astringent so no worries about excess moisture. But a word of caution..you ont use every day..too drying! A dab of desitin will help any redness.

I just read somewhere that cornstarch isn't good as a talcum powder on babies because it's bad to get in lungs. Personally I find it too thick and gunky! :hmm: is that a technical word?? ..:ROFL:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Cornstarch is actually a food so used alone would cause more harm than good! If used in combination with another active ingredient it does work. I used to make a paste of cornstarch and hydrogen peroxide and it did work, however since I started using malectic otic and Malacetic ultra it is easier and works better.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I used to use it and thought it was great until someone pointed out that it would feed the yeast (ok, I am a little slow sometimes).

I have also used gold bond powder in the past. However, I know just make sure it is dry and use desitin.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
We've recently started using desitin and found it a lot easier to apply than cornstarch. Just make sure the wrinkles are completely dry and put only a very thin layer on.

Staff online

Members online