Can a pup grow that much slower than another pup...

widebody

Jun 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
fatz
Hello i ask because 3 months ago me and my brother got 2 pups from the same breeder, but they were from different litters... but only 2 weeks apart. At the time the were pretty much the same size other than his pup being wider up front. So yesterday he brings his pup over for me to pet sit and i couldnt believe my eyes. His boy is so much bigger than my boy. longer, wider his head and way bigger. he is bo legged and he looks like what i expect a bulldog to look like. My boy look nothing like this. they are the same height but he has a small head and his legs are straight and his chest isnt broad at all....:bitching:

I called the breeder and all he could really say was be patient, some dogs grow slower than others. im really thinking i may have got the runt out the litter...and my dog will never look like my brothers. Im really upset. it tooks years for me to finally decide to get a bulldog and spend that type of money to not be happy..

OP
widebody

widebody

Jun 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
fatz
we both feed totw 3 cups a day as well...

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Whoaaaaaa! Please don't compare your Bully to another..ANY other. Yes..they grow completely different! Even in the same litter. Jake had 6 males in his litter. While..we weren't trying to get the biggest or smallest...Jake was probably 2nd biggest. The biggest pup was huuuuge compared to Jake and all his brothers. We do get to hold a "playdate" regularly with his litter and slowly but surely..they have all evened out. In fact..the "runt" is probably the biggest now..all the others are within a few pounds of each other.

You are dealing with different litters..not comparable at all. And it takes up to 2 years until they are "done"!! Jake is still getting wider and new wrinkles all the time. I would hate to think you are disappointed in your :bully:. Just love him and enjoy him ..let him be him..and give him time.

OP
widebody

widebody

Jun 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
fatz
Thanks for the feedback... ill be patient..

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

thesspa

I live with 2 porkers!
Apr 10, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I guess I am really confused as to what you are asking.
- Were you planning to show your dog in competition?
- Are you afraid he might have health issues?
- Anything else I can't think of at this moment?

OP
widebody

widebody

Jun 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
fatz
I hope so I've always loved bulldogs, he is 6 months now and 33lbs... I just expected him to be more bully like my brothers, ill just wait it out. Thanks again....

OP
widebody

widebody

Jun 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
fatz
I guess I am really confused as to what you are asking.
- Were you planning to show your dog in competition?
- Are you afraid he might have health issues?
- Anything else I can't think of at this moment?

I was asking about my pups growth... and could they grow slower than others... cause he looks like a baby to my brothers pup at the same age...

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I hope so I've always loved bulldogs, he is 6 months now and 33lbs... I just expected him to be more bully like my brothers, ill just wait it out. Thanks again....

Listen..Jake was long legged and didn't weigh much either! Now at 19 months..he's 53 lbs..and has filled out and is still filling out. My vet..says its so much better for them to have a slow growth pattern. It's too much stress on their growth plates..joints and hips to grow too fast too quick. Which..I believe is why Nature gives them extra time to finish. Bully's aren't supposed to be massively huge...that only causes lots of problems. You really need to relax and enjoy him..who cares what your brother's looks like? :hmm: well..besides you..I guess! :ROFL: come back in 2 years...and you will have a different outlook. Well...that doesn't mean literally "come back"... Because we hope you'll stay!

redhed

Jun 22, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sancho
My puppy is 5 months this week and his growth is on par with your boy's. I would say, as the others have said, that YOU are the lucky one. Your puppy will undoubtedly fill out eventually and the slow growth will be healthier for him (and cheaper for you) in the long run. Honestly, I would prefer if my bulldog didn't get so bowlegged and broad, because that usually (not always) leads to health problems and PAIN for your dog.

KaidasMom

Jun 25, 2012
Anchorage, AK
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Kaida
Well, I'll chime in my 2 cents...my little bully, Kaida is on a slow growth pattern, but like the others have said it'll mean a healthier bully. My vet says she is in great health and not to worry. She's 4 months now and weighs about 14lbs. She's got large paws though, so I can only guess that she'll grow into them when she matures around 2.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
LOL. They look kind of strange while they are growing. Our Amber is coming up on 10 months old and now her head if filling out but for a little while her body was all over the place. She had huge feet and her shoulders seemed small for a bit but they have and are catching up to all the other parts. Once her jawl started protruding her head starting really shaping up. I agree to be patient and let him grow, he will be awesome.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Wow [MENTION=5227]KaidasMom[/MENTION] your girl is a little lady, Bacon was that big when we got him at 8 weeks

KaidasMom

Jun 25, 2012
Anchorage, AK
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Kaida
[MENTION=4688]Baconator[/MENTION] - Kaida was only 4.6 lbs when we got her at 8 wks. She is a little one! :) Love her though. She'll catch up though. Her mom was 45 lbs fully grown.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.