How long did your pups stay in their crate?

Fbjdd

Mar 16, 2012
Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bongo
Hi all,

I noticed that some of you folks use crates and other don't. If you do what are your thought on them? If you don't when did you decide to let them come out and sleep outside the crate.
I think I would eventually like Bongo to sleep outside the crate when he's older but I worry about when I'm at work and him getting in trouble. What are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPad
Frank & Bongo

Jenni

Jul 16, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Audrey and Ruger
My bulldogs chew on our stuff, so we gradually left them out ex: when we would only be gone for an hour or so and dog proofed house ex: put remote etc... Out of reach
But our bulldogs love their crates
Now they only go to crate when they want to.
Definitely wait until potty trained
Good luck!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
We used a crate with a X-pen around it so he had some freedom to move around when we were not there watching him. He had water to drink and a pee pad on the far end of the pen in case he had to go. He had his chew and other toys there too. The only thing he ended up chewing that he wasn't supposed to was the corner of his Fatboy bedding in his crate. After the chew phase was over we started to keep the pen door open too. We moved to a new home when he was about 6 months and after that we haven't had crate for except when away from home or in dog shows.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It varied by the individual bully... Nitschke had free run of the house at about a year.... Banks was maybe two before we let her room free, and Cheli, well, he may be a crate dog forever,,,, little stinker will not stop peeing in the house even after he comes in from being outside. UGH!

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Bacon goes in his crate to sleep at night, when we aren't home he has a pen setup with a doggy door to an outside kennel, he's still only 9 months and loves to chew everything he isn't supposed to still so no freedom for him any time soon

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I put mine in their crates when I leave the house and at bed time. I just don't trust that they will be safe and not try to eat something they shouldn't!! Now, 8yo basset hound can be out when she wants but she often chooses to chill out in her crate because we just leave the doors open all of the time.

I was working full time up until June so they would be in there for 8 hours (after they became 6 months or so). Before that, I was coming home at lunch to let them out for about a 1/2 hour. I usually put them to bed around 11:00 pm and have them up by 7 or 7:30 am. Even then, they sometimes will lay in the crate for a while after I open the doors because they are LAZY.

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
Both of mine started in a puppy playpen, then when they got a bit bog for it, we started with the crate. Belly absolutely LOVES her crate...maybe not so much right now since she's confined to the kitchen because of her surgery... Bob goes in his if I toss a treat in there first and won't make a peep, but he doesn't go lay down in there on his own. Belly is a year and 9 months and had free roam of the house. It's looking more and more like Bob will live there forever....the boy chews everything he isn't supposed to.

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
I don't trust mine to be left unsupervised. Just the other day Karly was on top of the kitchen table...that's her new trick I guess. I blame the bully sitter of course! Nigel will whine around 8pm or so to be tucked into his crate for bedtime. Just last night I tried to let him sleep with me but he just doesn't relax enough he keeps getting up. I worry he may be thirsty or need to potty so I can't really sleep either for fear of an accident. lol

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
Rook just turned 1 year, and I don't know that we'll ever get rid of the crate... Rook's decision.
We tried leaving the crate door open one night when we went to bed, and 5 minutes later I had an unhappy bully standing in the middle of the kitchen barking because we didn't stick to his usual routine. He has to sleep in the crate with the door closed. If we are up late watching a movie, when Rook decides it's bedtime he will go in his crate and stare at us. If we don't go over and close the door, then his big bully head is directly in front of one of us and gives a look that says, "it's bedtime! Gimme my green beans and close my crate door!"
So, for my OCD bully, I think it's best we stick with the crate.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Amber is in the crate when we are at work of if we are busy and are unable to keep our eyes on her. She is coming up on ten months old and has embarked upon many of her own renovation projects that did not meet our approval rating. She will chew on things not ment to be chewed. Keeping her in a crate when we are unable to observe her is just a safety measure for her so she doesn't get into any trouble and we don't have any unforseen vet visits. She sleeps with our daughter so once she is in bed she is out for the night. Amber is a good girl; just a energetic busy little bully (well, not so little but definitely busy).

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Oh, I wanted to add that I stayed home for several weeks with them when they first came home with us. I was also able to take them to work (1 at a time) occasionally so until they were able to hold it 5 hours or so, I was either home or took them to work. When they could hold it, for a while I came home and let them out at lunch and then when they were older they would stay in there all day.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

My first comment is that crate training should NEVER be used or thought of as punishment.

All of our 7 bulldogs are crate trained from a very age as a puppy. When we have brought a new puppy into our house or even the puppies from our litters, we crate train them.

Bulldogs love a secure place. This becomes their Bullie-Cave ! Once they are accustomed to being in the crate, this become their favorite place to hang out. Many times if the room door is open, the dogs will just go hang out and take a nap in their crate. I drape a sheet over the top and it makes it nice and dark inside.

As others have said, this is a very safe place for them to be if you are away or at night.

Good Day~

LWATSON

Jun 9, 2012
VA Beach
Country
America
Bulldog(s) Names
Tillman
I only use is when necessary. If we have things out we don't want Tillman to get. Usually he is great , he is 8 months old and very obedient. He knows what he is and isn't supposed to do. Now since his testicles are dropping he is the biggest jerk and eats everything. So I use it more.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Bea and Bo have soft, squishy blankets and mattresses in their crates. The doors are always open and they will go in there to sleep --- as they always do when I'm in EBN. (The crates are right behind me, here at the computer) I used to "put them to bed" everynight (doors closed) when they were younger. I also "put them to bed" at night (doors open on crates) until this summer when it got too hot -- I felt -- to ask them in stay in there. NOW I have what could be a problem; they don't necessarily WANT to go into their beds at "night-night" time. I tried to put them in there -- to stay -- a few days ago and I left the doors open to see what would happen. Bo ended up on the couch (his favorite spot) and Bea ended up on the wool rug in my bedroom which all summer is the coolest room in the house. Last night, I did it again; I Put them to bed and left the doors open. Bo ended up in his crate snoozing away and Bea stayed on the wool rug again. I caught myself feeling "bad" about shutting the doors. This is, of course, ridicules. They love their crates and confining them only means that I am re-acquainting them with the idea of staying in their fluffy, snuggly beds ALL NIGHT.

Now that it's cooling down here - I will return to the night night in the crate routine, if for no other reason, than to confine the doggie smell to those things which I can wash easily. Everytime they get a bath, their bedding and collars go thru the washing machine too.

To top it off, if left unsupervised in the yard, Bo has developed a new habit of digging up dry dirt and then rolling in it. And I do mean ROLLING IN IT. He's BLACK when he's done. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

flower

Sep 29, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
My dog sleeps in a crate and when we're not home she is in a crate that she loves and is her own apartment...the crate represents security and safety...it's not a punnishment!!! I will always have a crate in my home!...She could never sleep in our bedroom because I watch tv until all hours of the night...it would be too duisturbing for her....don't spoil a good thing if your dog is happy sleeping in it's crate...it's her own apartment!!..♥

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.