Side Effects of SMZ-TMP

BillyL

Aug 8, 2011
Gadsden, Alabama
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster
Took my English Bulldog to the vet today for all his shots. Buster has been having problems with iching and ear discharge. So my vet put him on Smz-TMP. I just wanted to know if any one on this thread has been given this for your dog and if there were any side effects. I would like to hear from anyone and need your input. please email me at [email protected]

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
This is a combination of 2 drugs. Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim (SMZ/TMP) It's used to treat respiratory, urinary tract, skin, or gastrointestinal infections, and other conditions. Very very popular drug for humans...at least in those that are not allergic to sulfa.
Make sure Buster has plenty of water to drink.
Other names you may be familiar with are Bactrim and Septra.
If given correctly...12 hours apart (usually it's given twice daily) you really shouldn't have any side effects. A lot of humans are allergic to Sulfa...and so, I'm guessing pets can be too. Call your vet if Buster experiences difficulty breathing, closing of the throat, swelling of the lips, tongue or face, or hives, unusual bleeding or bruising, or yellow skin or eyes. Other side effects are fatigue, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, decreased appetite, diarrhea, weakness, or increased sensitivity to the sun.

What kind of side effects is Buster having?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.