JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Nuff said here if China doesn't want to allow testing of their dog treats.

http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/201...-on-jerky-pet-treat-testing-reports-show?lite

China stiff-arms FDA on jerky pet treat testing, reports show
By JoNel Aleccia, NBC News

Chinese government officialsoverseeing plants that make chicken jerky pet treats blamed for thousands of illnesses and deaths among American dogs have refused to allow U.S. inspectors to collect samples for independent analysis, newly released records show.

Investigators with the federal Food and Drug Administration came away empty-handed after conducting April inspections at four jerky treat manufacturing sites in Liaocheng and Jinan, China, according to the records.

The plants make pet treats sold by the St. Louis-based Nestle Purina PetCare Co., including the popular Waggin’ Train jerky brands.

Chinese officials stipulated that FDA officials could collect samples only if they agreed to specific conditions, including a requirement that the samples be tested in Chinese-run laboratories.
As a result, “no samples were collected during this inspection,” wrote Dennis L. Doupnik, an FDA investigator who visited the sites.

In addition, the reports showed that the Chinese plants conducted either no laboratory tests or only sporadic tests of the raw materials, including meat used in treats fed to many of the 78.2 million pet dogs in the U.S.

The FDA found no significant violations and issued no citations, but warned plant owners about problems that included broken supports on metal screens, a torn gasket door on a mixer and failure to file proper paperwork to list actual treat manufacturers instead of shippers or brokers in FDA records.

That means the agency appears to be no closer to solving the mystery of about 2,000 reports of illnesses or deaths in U.S. dogs that ate jerky treats made in China, lawmakers and pet owners said on Tuesday. Despite tests of hundreds of treats in the U.S. over five years, the FDA has found no significant levels of contaminants in the products.

“It’s hard to believe the FDA would send a team of inspectors over to China without first getting a guarantee that they could bring samples back,” said Rep. Dennis Kucinich, D-Ohio, who has been tracking the jerky problem. “They’re doing nothing of consequence. The FDA’s tone-deaf on this one.”

Elizabeth Mawaka, 57, a Hartford, Conn., woman who says her two Boston terriers, Max and Toby, died after eating tainted treats, called on Nestle Purina to demand that samples be released to the FDA.
“It really comes down to the company,” said Mawaka, who is suing jerky treat makers and retailers. “We can talk all we want about China, but it’s really the company.”However, a Nestle Purina spokesman said the inspections demonstrated no problems with the firm's products and no evidence that they’ve led to illnesses in animals in the U.S.

Keith Schopp, the firm’s vice president of public relations, said that it’s common for countries to refuse to have samples tested outside of the country of origin and that the terms of the inspection were set by the U.S. and Chinese governments, not by Nestle Purina or the manufacturing site officials.

“There was no attempt by Nestle Purina or the Chinese facilities to restrict sample collection,” said Schopp said in an email to NBCNews.com.

"Nestle Purina will continue to cooperate fully with FDA to assist its investigation," added Schopp, who has consistently said the treats are safe to feed as directed.Tamara N. Ward, an FDA spokeswoman, said in an email that the inspections helped to identify additional areas that the agency may investigate, but there is "no evidence indicating that these firms' jerky pet treats are the cause of pet illnesses in the United States."

Ward did not respond to NBC News questions about the impact of the Chinese officials' refusal to allow FDA to collect samples. Last November, the FDA issued its third warning since 2007 about potentially dangerous chicken jerky treats after new reports of health problems in dogs surfaced, ranging from diarrhea and vomiting to kidney failure and death. In the months since then, the agency has been swamped with reports of animal illness. Last month, it expanded the caution to include duck and sweet potato jerky treats.The FDA sent a letter to Chinese officials in March identifying five Chinese firms for inspection.

Investigators were sent for several days to each of four plants: Gambol Pet Products Co. Ltd.; Shandong Honva Food Co. Ltd.; and Shandong Petswell Food Co. Ltd., all in Liaocheng, China, and Jinan Uniwell Pet Food Co. Ltd. in Jinan, China, according to reports posted this week on the agency’s animal and veterinary website. The fifth report is pending because of the need for additional information and will be posted later, said Ward, the FDA spokeswoman.

The inspections were pre-arranged and supervised by officials with China’s General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine, known as AQSIQ.

AQSIQ officials refused to allow FDA inspectors to collect samples unless they agreed to “certain sampling conditions,” including having the jerky analyzed only in a Chinese government-run laboratory, or a third-party lab in China, wrote FDA investigator Doupnik. FDA investigators would have been allowed to witness the analysis, but not to remove samples.

“I was informed that FDA would not be allowed to ship any samples outside of China for testing in an FDA laboratory due to the issue of national sovereignty among other reasons,” Doupnik added.

Before each inspection, the reports indicated that Doupnik asked AQSIQ officials if their position on the sampling had changed. When he was informed it had not, Doupnik wrote that he did not ask to collect samples during the inspections.The heavily redacted documents, known as Establishment Inspection Reports, traced the production of jerky treats from raw meat through final packaging. In each case, plant officials said they were aware of few complaints of any kind and none about the treats causing death or illness in dogs. That's despite documented FDA reports of complaints related to each site, Doupnik noted.

At the Shandong Petswell plant, an unidentified plant representative told inspectors that “it is her perception that the firm is making a good product.”No FDA import alerts or import refusals have been issued for the firms, Ward said. However, she added that the FDA is conducting increased surveillance of shipments of jerky treats from China to provide guidance on possible products to target for sampling and analysis.

But Kucinich said that Chinese officials' refusal to release samples to U.S. inspectors should be grounds for banning the products from import -- or for a mandatory recall.“That would do it for that product. I would pull them all off the market,” said Kucinich. “Fine. You’re done.”
Consumers have petitioned the FDA to urge Nestle Purina and other jerky treat manufacturers to recall the products. However, FDA officials have said they can’t force a recall based solely on customer complaints.

Related stories on Vitals:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
How frustrating! Please be very careful what you give your bully babies everyone. Always read the label and see where any food was made. Unfortunately, we have to be suspicious about everything nowadays.

Last edited:

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Grrrr....I wish they would quit OUTSOURCING crap.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
My vet said..No Jerky treats at all..problem is..some companies don't say it's from China..because they import the ingredients and process here or in Mexico. Jerky meat is one of the most imported products. They won't stop this poisoning of our pets..our children and us..unless we demand it. It's our fault as consumers that flock to Walmart for cheap prices and not realize its against our own best interests. we want jobs here..we need to pay more for "stuff". Period.

:whew: okay..I'm off my soapbox now...:blush:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My vet said..No Jerky treats at all..problem is..some companies don't say it's from China..because they import the ingredients and process here or in Mexico. Jerky meat is one of the most imported products. They won't stop this poisoning of our pets..our children and us..unless we demand it. It's our fault as consumers that flock to Walmart for cheap prices and not realize its against our own best interests. we want jobs here..we need to pay more for "stuff". Period.

YOU FREAKIN GO GIRL!!!! :bravo: I do not shop at Wal-mart for just this reason.

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Perfectly said. I do shop at Walmart though. :ashamed:

Pass this info around your facebook pages, etc. as they're so many people that still give these to their dogs because they're simply unaware. My Mom was one of those, she just thought they're good treats. She knows better now.. The more people know about these the more that is done.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Honestly, I must confess, I shop Walmart, they do carry somethings made in USA and I look at the label's. Always. :pouting:

But a wise woman once told me all about the treats, and I always give them something that I would also eat. Fresh meat, cheese, veggies, fruit. Eggs and yogurt. Peanut butter, the list goes on and on.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Perfectly said. I do shop at Walmart though. :ashamed:

Pass this info around your facebook pages, etc. as they're so many people that still give these to their dogs because they're simply unaware. My Mom was one of those, she just thought they're good treats. She knows better now.. The more people know about these the more that is done.

Honestly, I must confess, I shop Walmart, they do carry somethings made in USA and I look at the label's. Always. :pouting:

But a wise woman once told me all about the treats, and I always give them something that I would also eat. Fresh meat, cheese, veggies, fruit. Eggs and yogurt. Peanut butter, the list goes on and on.

No need to feel bad..just buy Made In The U.S.A. Instead of from other countries. Some people have no choice but to shop in WalMart..I am only saying..we need to be aware..:D

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
No need to feel bad..just buy Made In The U.S.A. Instead of from other countries. Some people have no choice but to shop in WalMart..I am only saying..we need to be aware..:D
Man I try but I gotta say, it's pretty hard to. All my new auction items are Hand Made in the USA. :usa:

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
It is really hard to find things NOT made in China due to the enormous volume of stuff we import from there. But is always good to do the best you can and to be aware of things and hopefully that mentality will spread across the nation and turn the tides.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I didnt read the entire article but I find it sad that China is dictating to US what we can and can not allow into our country. If we test a product and it doesn't meet our standards.. ban it!!
My brother, before he retired, was a meat inspector for the State of WI. for about 30 years. WI has min/max requirements for everything. He would BUY sausage, for example, send it to their own labs and if it didnt comply he would site the offender and if they didnt correct the problem he could close them down. Why can't the US inspectors do the same thing? Dont allow it into our country!!!!
ps: You dont even want to know what goes into sausage..:laugh:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.