Crate accidents

Loves Bacon

Aug 21, 2012
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
hello,

We just recently got a baby EB (last Monday 8/13/12). We took her to the Vet for her first shot and deworming. She also receive a fecal test which came back negative. She’s been having soft stool borderline diarrhea so we called the Vet yesterday and they recommended to put her on a bland diet (chicken and rice). She still have the diarrhea but the concerning issue and the reason I am reaching out to everyone is because she has had an accident (potty) in her crate between 7:45 and 11:00 in the morning yesterday and today. This is after having a full night of staying in her crate without going outside to the bathroom.

I heard that dogs specially EB’s are usually clean and almost never goes in their crate to eliminate.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Oh my gosh no, that is false, any breed, needs too go out potty every couple of hours, they are baby's and they're little bladders and bowls can not hold. Please do some research on bringing home your new puppy. How long does she get outside her crate?

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
At that age, they cannot hold it too long so that is likely the case. With the diarrhea, try giving her a little bit of canned pumpkin with her food. NOT the pie filling with the spices, just the plain pure pumpkin. About a tablespoon with one of her meals. The poop issue could be that she is nervous or stressed coming into a new home. At that age, I took them out about every hour. This helps with house training by setting them up for success. They should also go out about 1/2 hour after every meal. If you cannot take her out so often (work, etc), then invest in an x-pen and pee pads so that she has somewhere to go to the bathroom. Or you could put a baby gate up in a small room.

Check out the articles here on bringing home a new puppy. Just go to the top of the page and click on where it says "articles" Good luck!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Yes..you've been given good advice..when Jake was new..I was taking him out every hour during the day and every 3hours at night. There are wonderful articles here ..on home page..to help you.

:welcome: by the way!

Fbjdd

Mar 16, 2012
Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bongo
I was always told puppies can hold there bladder for 1 hour for every month old plus 1. So for example Bongo is 7 months old and should be able to hold his bladder for approximately 8 hours. I've followed this and it seems to be a pretty good guideline. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using
Frank. D

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Too much food will also cause diarrhea... Also did you change foods by any chance? Young pups will poop right after they eat as well.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

OP
Loves Bacon

Loves Bacon

Aug 21, 2012
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Thanks for the feedback everyone. We got her 8/13 and we stayed with her the whole week. Her soft stool started around Thursday when we switched her over to her puppy blend, (Taste of the wild) gradually of course. She just kept getting worst since then going up to 8 times a day. We decided to continue with the crate training since she seems to be able to hold it at night. We usually have her and the kids go to sleep around 10:00 PM and the earliest she woke me up to go outside is past 1:30 AM. She's also able to sleep through the night from 10:00 PM to 4:30 AM (time i wake up for work) twice the last four days. My wife leaves her at around 7:45 AM and gets back to let her out at around 11:30, it is between this time that she's had the two accidents.
She does get outside her crate for about an hour after feeding in the AM, about half an hour at around lunch time and from 4:00 PM until bed time.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
The food is the obvious cause. Either she is allergic to something in her new food...the switch was too quick for her system or she's getting too much. Food is the hardest thing to figure out and very..very few of us get it right the first time. If she continues with diaherria ..I would put her on a bland diet for a few days and either put her back on the food she came to you on (?) or slowly introduce her to a different food that is grain free and chicken free. She can get dehydrated very easily so it's important to not let this go on too long. :yes:

OP
Loves Bacon

Loves Bacon

Aug 21, 2012
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
We started her on the bland diet Monday afternoon (boiled chicken and white rice) and took her to the vet yesterday. They gave her half tablet daily (for ten days) of Flagyl/Metronidazole and started her on it with her dinner last night. She did not go last night and she went with very little green slimy poop this morning. We also left the radio on (advice from a friend) for her. My wife is on her way to let her out now. We are crossing our fingers that everything is fine when she gets home.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
We started her on the bland diet Monday afternoon (boiled chicken and white rice) and took her to the vet yesterday. They gave her half tablet daily (for ten days) of Flagyl/Metronidazole and started her on it with her dinner last night. She did not go last night and she went with very little green slimy poop this morning. We also left the radio on (advice from a friend) for her. My wife is on her way to let her out now. We are crossing our fingers that everything is fine when she gets home.

Good job on the bland diet..I'll keep my fingers crossed! I know you'll figure this out..and if you need help choosing a different food..let [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] know..she's very good at narrowing down the many choices! Let us know how she is doing!

OP
Loves Bacon

Loves Bacon

Aug 21, 2012
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION], bacon is doing well. No accidents on the crate from last Wednesday to date and she is pooping about 3-4 times a day. She is still on the bland diet and will slowly start her on dog food. I am planning on reaching out to "cowsmom" for some recommendations.
I do have one question, is it normalfor them to have soft stool? It is formed but definitely soft

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
@JAKEISGREAT, bacon is doing well. No accidents on the crate from last Wednesday to date and she is pooping about 3-4 times a day. She is still on the bland diet and will slowly start her on dog food. I am planning on reaching out to "cowsmom" for some recommendations.
I do have one question, is it normalfor them to have soft stool? It is formed but definitely soft

No..that's probably the best indicator that she is having problems with something she's eating. puppies are often sensitive to lots of change too. Are you using the canned pumpkin? That usually helps immediately and if I were you..I'd use it now and while you transition to a new food. Is she drinking normally? Any more slimy poo? I'm sure Sandra ([MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]) will get you onto a good quality food. Just know..it's rare to find the perfect food right off the bat.

OP
Loves Bacon

Loves Bacon

Aug 21, 2012
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Buying canned pumpkin tonight and no more slimy poo. I think she is drinking enough. Usually during meals and not as much in between. I tried giving her gatorade but she does not like it.
The vet wants to keep her on Flagyl and bland diet untill her poo is firm. I think we will follow that but add the canned pumpkin.

OP
Loves Bacon

Loves Bacon

Aug 21, 2012
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I swithed Bacon last Tuesday to boiled ground beef and rice. I also added canned pumpkin (tbsp) for each meal since Friday afternoon. Though her poop is formed, it is still very soft. I am imagining that this cant be normal. Would appreciate any thoughts and recommendation.​

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
I swithed Bacon last Tuesday to boiled ground beef and rice. I also added canned pumpkin (tbsp) for each meal since Friday afternoon. Though her poop is formed, it is still very soft. I am imagining that this cant be normal. Would appreciate any thoughts and recommendation.​
your pet is on medication? might be why to :poo: is still not like you would like it. sometimes antibiotics will cause soft :poo: from what i understand. might see how he is when he is off the meds.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.