Staph from Hives??????

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
So we decided to try a new vet who specializes in bullies in NY. Well we get there and right off the bat there are 3 bullies in the waiting room :) I am very leary with vets as all the trouble we have had with feeling like we are getting ripped off :( Well Richmond Valley ANimal Hospital in Staten Island is AMAZING!

Brutus started getting hives on his back/legs so we decided to have a skin scrape done. Well the vet concluded that his hives developed staph infection. (Its only on the hives and benadryl isnt taking them away) No mites Thank God! They are now sorta crusty as they werent when he first got them. She prescribed us 2 rx's for cephalxin 500mg 1 2xday and 250 1 2xday to total 750mg. Also she gave us Maloseb wash to use 2x a week. She said the maloseb is good for bullies to keep them clean and bacteria free. When the spots are gone only use as needed she said :) We also got new heartworm meds. She knew all about Fromm food and grain free..>I was very impressed with the wealth of knowledge and good comments about the breed. SHe said he looked great his coat was good, breathing, and weight was perfect.

She noticed Brutus has 1 eyelash growing in so she plucked it out. Brutus had his 3 booster shots from the last series of shots 3 weeks ago.

So I asked about his prolapse urethrea and told her the story of how we had the surgery and a week later it prolapsed again...She said the ball was scar tissue and since their isnt blood or trouble urnitating its nothing to be concerned about. She said it is common for the prolapse to recur after surgery! Brutus was very hard to keep calm :( Anyway she said it looked ok as it wasnt infected :whew:

Glad overall he had a great vet visit....Love this little boy soooooo much

Hope the other bullie parents join the site also! Told them all about the bunch here :shhhh:

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
so glad you found a trust worthy bully vet!! staph is a beeotch to beat, takes heavy duty antibiotics for long period of time. If Bru Bru had hives then his immune system was weaken which can bring on the staph. Give the handsome man big hugs and kisses from me , ah heck, throw one in for you too :D

OP
ChanelnBrutus

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
so glad you found a trust worthy bully vet!! staph is a beeotch to beat, takes heavy duty antibiotics for long period of time. If Bru Bru had hives then his immune system was weaken which can bring on the staph. Give the handsome man big hugs and kisses from me , ah heck, throw one in for you too :D

Thank you Christine! I hope with the meds and Maloseb wash this will go away....He isnt scratching at all and he is pooping/eating perfect...

:hug: Right back at ya

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Sounds like a great vet, I have heard so many good things! Glad you took him in xx

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.