Hi guys newbie with some question on crates and some advice

angelIV

Aug 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
philly
Hi guys, I'm still new at this, I'm thinking of getting my adopted Philly a crate, he is approximately a year old the rescue society has no information if he has been crate trained. He has been with us for 2 days now and he has adjusted a bit and very sweet. What type of crate would be ok the wired one or the plastic one. Is the one from amazon ok or Walmart? Also one concern of mine is if he was traumatized before with crates, I really don't want to give him anymore emotional pain . Anybody have some experience on this really need some advice. Thank you:pray:

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Definately a Wire Crate over the plastic (in my opinion) without any history, you'll just have to buy one, and see how he reacts to it. Gizmo was a bear getting her into her crate, she hated being in it - now Hershey, Loves his, to the point he'll walk right into it and curl up and sleep.
year old bully should be close to full grown - so you want to make sure its big enough for him - and Yard Sales and Craigslist if you are looking for one that's less expensive - Just make sure you totally clean it, and make sure its not all rusted and dangerous etc.

Keep us updated :) :) and best of luck with the baby !

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Yes..wire and I got mine from Walmart. ASPCA approved and a lot less $$$ than most big box pet stores. You can crate train any age dog..but another option is an Xpen. You can give him a bit more space but still contain him. Being that he's older and a bit sad...I might go for the Xpen.

OP
angelIV

angelIV

Aug 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
philly
Thank you guys, I'm looking at one now in Walmart.com, I will check on the xpen too. A lot of thanks

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
You are on the right track! Congratulations on your adoption. You are BOTH so lucky to have each other. Either an x-pen or crate will work. I like [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION]'s suggestion. You can put toys, a nice bed, and some treats or chewy toys in there to start to see how he does. Just leave it open and see if he goes in there on his own.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
We have both and Usko loves to go in both. Crate can be safe and pleasent place for a dog or horrible solitary confinement. I think this one's a good video of how to make your dog love his crate...it is with a puppy, but I'm sure it works for all ages. Just google...
positive house training with crate victoria stilwell
[h=1][/h]

Jenni

Jul 16, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Audrey and Ruger
Wire, try craiglist my bullies LOVE their crates they go in sometimes for naps and when I leave they automatically go in and I give them a treat! Good luck and welcome!

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Congrats to you on your new bully. They do suggest wire crates because it has a much better airflow then the plastic and bullies overheat easily. Best of luck to you.

OP
angelIV

angelIV

Aug 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
philly
Thank you guys, best forum ever!! My wife decided to get the wire crate, she found one online for 35. Size is 36 is that enough

redhed

Jun 22, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sancho
I think the 36" is perfect. We got a 30" and it's already a tad small for our 4.5 mo. old puppy :(

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Shoot, I'm not sure of the size of mine but I would say it's a large.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have two mid-west 42" collapsible crates... they are great still look new and are 7years old.

fcamargo6thave

Apr 30, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
i think the crate would depend on where u are thinking of placing the cage because some crates has different entrances. I got the one from walmart its for large breed dogs i think 48 inches by 24 i would have to make sure though but it was no more than 70 dollars. Just get the crate and work on the idea that its his space and that its the place where he can be at peace and rest dont use it as a place of punishment then he will never learn

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online