hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Hi everyone!

I have had my 9wk-old English bully puppy, Matilda, for one week, and so far, she has been a 9-lb crazy biting monster! I adore her but she has so much energy, and I can't take her to a park or a tiring walk or anything because she has only had her first round of vaccines (second is next week). We live in an apartment, so she has a fake grass patch on the balcony to potty, but no yard to run around in (I don't want to take her to the courtyards until she has had her vaccinations - other dogs!)

She has absolutely NO bite inhibition (she only had one sibling in the litter - I think that is probably why), and even my boyfriend, who grew up with great danes, think she plays too roughly! I try to snuggle her and she lunges at my face, or when we play and she bites me hard, I'll walk away (like I read to do) just to have her maul my feet!

We are crate training, and I hate having to leave her in there a lot of times just because I don't want to be eaten alive! And my friends' dogs (all older and vaccinated) REFUSE to play with her because she is such a little monster. They run away from her and look at their parents like, "Help!". It's so sad.

The strange thing is, other than the play biting, she is an angel. She has absolutely NO aggression issues. I grew up with dogs my entire life, and they ALWAYS had at least some aggression with food, or other dogs, or "intruders", but Matilda is the most timid puppy I've ever had - UNTIL she's ready to play... which is always.

And I have tried any tactic I read about. I yelp and pull away when she bites hard, I put her in time out, I yell "NO" (which has just led to her barking back at me and playing harder), I stop all play and walk away (just to have her destroy whatever is in her vicinity and/or chase and attack my feet), I grab her by the ruff of her neck and pull her to the side and say NO, and I try to assert my dominance as pack leader with everything I've read on it, by sitting between her and her food until I decide she can eat, going through doorways first, flipping her on her back when she's aggressive, ALL to no avail.

I need a solution before she gets big enough to jump onto the furniture (as I currently sit on the couch with all my limbs up when we play)! Any advice? She is my first bully, is this typical? And yes, she is the little angel in my picture. She really is adorable... when she isn't moving!

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
Honestly, she's a puppy. Bully's can be very "mouthy" and our puppy has been extremely mouthy at times during play or when we first get home. She's starting to improve, but it takes time, patience, and consistency and I'm sure Matilda will get there. When she does bite, redirect her to a toy if you haven't tried that already. We've noticed that our Ellie Mae seems to do good with plenty of chewing options. One day she'll play with certain toys and the next might be a completely different set that she drags out of her basket. Just keep working with her and correcting her when she does bite too roughly.

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
Welcome to life with a bulldog puppy :) Our Molly was a NIGHTMARE of teeth and fangs at that age.

It gets better.. You just have to be consistent.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Bacon was a complete terror as a puppy I still have scars from his baby teeth and he is over 8 months old now. He grew out of it mostly, he still has occasional crazy man moments, but for the most part he listens to a stern NO if it even goes that far. Toy diversion tended to be the best tactic for us, kong makes some animals that squeak with ropes on the ends that worked great for him to play with as a puppy. Tug-oh-war didn't work as a puppy because he would just go for your hands. Good Luck

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
That biting is just what others have said...Puppy! She will outgrow it..you can try to discourage her by redirecting her and giving her a wide assortment of chew toys! :yes:

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Thank you all! It's reassuring that she will get over it... can anyone estimate when? I'm looking forward to being able to walk without fearing for my toes.

Matilda has a wide assortment of chewies - everything from kongs, ropes, squeakies, stuffed animals, balls, and yet she just likes human flesh better!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: she is adorable... and as others have said, it will pass, in time. usually just about when the puppy teeth fall out

redhed

Jun 22, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sancho
Our puppy is 4.5 months old and is the EXACT same way. He prefers hands/feet/noses/ears to any toy in the world. We respond with redirection and...no go. Still just goes for the hands. We are still being consistent, though, in the hopes that once he gets over his excited puppy stage the lesson will have been retained.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Welcome to EBN! Your Matilda is beautiful! She will outgrow that puppy biting but meanwhile keep telling her no and give her something acceptable to chew on!

BullDogGunner

May 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunner
I had to do a double take on the post, I could have written this very same post. Gunner is 7 months old tomorrow and my hands, feet and whatnot would love for this phase of bulldog terror to be over. I raised Old English Mastiffs and NEVER had these things happen. I was convinced my bully would be a lover, snuggler and lazy like I want to be... NOT so... He was just in time out for rough housing with me; the other dogs don't like him. I wish you luck and hope yours goes better...

Kassie

May 15, 2012
Alabama
Bulldog(s) Names
Rufus McGee
Rufus has little razors for teeth and bites/chews everything. I don't think the litter mate thing is necessarily true bc he is one of 8 and still acts like a heathen! Redirecting helps...sometimes. And I have found lots of play wears him out and makes him snuggly ;) When we take him to my Moms he gets to play with Georgia her Boxer, and after few hours over there he is cuddly and sweet lol

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
It will take several months for her to out grow it. As others have said, just try to redirect her with a chew toy amd when she does bite say ouch real load. She will eventually get it and be the sweet bully you want. Just be patient.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Sounds like you have done your research. You just have to be VERY consistent with whichever technique you choose to use. Maybe try putting up a baby gate and when he bites hard, make a noise, pick him up and put him behind the gate until he calms down. Then resume play and repeat. I prefer not to use the crate for time out because I want that to be their safe place where they will eventually choose to be to relax and get away (yes, that will eventually happen!).

She will get over it!!! You just have to do it EVERY SINGLE TIME she nips anyone. They are smart, and she will get the idea. lol

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
This brings back memories of Ftse as a tiny puppy and biting and my sore feet.

Jenni

Jul 16, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Audrey and Ruger
Try spraying some All natural apple or cherry bitter on your feet??
Matilda is a cutie(my opinion they all stay so darn cute )
Welcome

Most Reactions