Ruggles and I Went Back To Square One

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Ruggles and I have been working on our on leash skills and we are improving, so much that after our walk up Hurricane Creek today I took him downtown and inside the Post Office. I have been putting his harness on plus his necklace (pincher collar). We start out hitched up to the harness; I give him only 6 to 8 inches of leash, tell him "close" if he starts pulling, and switch to the pincher collar when he doesn't listen and keeps pulling. Yesterday and today he stayed in the harness the whole time and there were many distractions like kids playing and other dogs. I am looking forward to the day when we can leave his necklace home!

Attachments

• photo (6).jpg
    photo (6).jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 137

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Great job.... to both of you! Hope the necklace can be put away soon

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Woo hoo Ruggles! :walk:

Last edited:
OP
Alice Kable

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] I hope it can be put away soon. I have plenty of links in it so it just gives him a gentle reminder and helps with the steering. Ruggles does want to stay close except when he gets too excited. When it cools off here he's going to doggie day care a couple days a week, too!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
GO RUGGLES!!!!! And momma too of course :). I keep meaning to tell you I LOVE the name Ruggles!

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
:bravo: to you both! Ruggles is such a handsome boy! Great picture of you two :judges:

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
That's so great...it's awesome when your confident in them and you can include them more often....way to go mom and Ruggles!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I love that pic. It would be a good avatar pic. Bravo to both of you... well done!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Yay for Ruggles and Mommma! So are you using treats to train? If not, how amazing that he's improving!

OP
Alice Kable

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
[MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] I used his kibble for training treats when I first started working with him when he was a baby. I used to walk Ruggles and Mack together until I broke my ankle two and a half years ago. My husband walked Ruggles and I walked Mack. My husband always gave Ruggles a free leash; he let him walk in front of him and all over the road. So now we've pretty much started over and he gets good boy and a pet reward. There has been a lot of improvement and he doesn't try to chase cars anymore, is doing much better not bolting to eat grass and horse poo. When kids are around I have him sit so the kids can pet him. By Sept. I'm hoping I can take him into town everyday!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online