2 Females not getting Along

teddi

Oct 9, 2011
northwest ontario
Bulldog(s) Names
abby and lilly
We have 2 females one is 7 years old the other is just over a year. Until about a month ago they got along fine. Now they are fighting quite a bit. Both are extemely spoilt and spend alot of time with 2 adults. They seem to fight more for attention from me the female in the family, they both sleep on our furniture and if the older dog is on the love seat and the younger one wants up the fight will start. The older one will growl a little and the younger one stares and then will I guess you would say pounces on the older and the fight is on. This will not only happen when the furniture is involved they will attack each other anywhere. The younger one demands attention and the older is quite happy as long as she is left alone. She does want my attention and hates it when the younger one interferes. I do try to spend more time with the older as my husband spends more time with the younger one.

Does anyone else have this problem or a solution to it. We have had 2 females before but they were mother and daughter and were only 2 year apart, this never happened.

Can anyone out there helps us because we do not want to get rid of either but I have already been bitten and don't want this to happen to anyone else.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I am not sure why no-one has offered any words but I am going to bump this up.

I don't have anything to say really other than the 7yo is getting up there and likely she doesn't have the patience for the young one.

Hope someone comes along that can give you some good ideas on how to approach this!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I have experience with a female Dobie and my hubby brought home a stray female Rottie . We had always had lots of dogs and no problems. When we brought in the the Rottie our Dobie (who was about 12 at the time) was definitely the pack leader and bound and determined to show the Rottie who was top dog. We walked them together and kept a very close eye on them at all times. We worked with them, making sure they both knew..WE were the true pack leaders and things settled into a relativly peaceful coexistence. one day...when my hubby was in charge..:cursing:...he left them alone for 2 minutes and that's all it took for that old Dobie to take the young Rottie down. Fortunately, my hubby was right there and there was no damage...except to the physche of the Rottie. From that day on..they actually lived peacefully..but no question..the Dobie was top dog. Over the years, we came to realize the Rottie would've submitted to ANY other go. She just was a very peaceful girl.

Not sure you can learn much from this story..but the walking them together..the lessons of US being the pack leaders..really helped calm them down. Let's ask some others for ideas.
@2BullyMama..@Davidh...@Vicaroo1000...@cali~jenn

Came back to add [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION]..lol..she beat me to it!

Last edited:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
We have 2 females one is 7 years old the other is just over a year. Until about a month ago they got along fine. Now they are fighting quite a bit. Both are extemely spoilt and spend alot of time with 2 adults. They seem to fight more for attention from me the female in the family, they both sleep on our furniture and if the older dog is on the love seat and the younger one wants up the fight will start. The older one will growl a little and the younger one stares and then will I guess you would say pounces on the older and the fight is on. This will not only happen when the furniture is involved they will attack each other anywhere. The younger one demands attention and the older is quite happy as long as she is left alone. She does want my attention and hates it when the younger one interferes. I do try to spend more time with the older as my husband spends more time with the younger one.

Does anyone else have this problem or a solution to it. We have had 2 females before but they were mother and daughter and were only 2 year apart, this never happened.

Can anyone out there helps us because we do not want to get rid of either but I have already been bitten and don't want this to happen to anyone else.

I have 3 females, one of them is mum, Dolly, she's 4 and the two daughters, Peggy Sue and Scrimps are almost 2, I also have two males, Jack and Griz. Peggy and Scrimps get along splendid. Inseparable. On the other hand, Peggy will start stuff with Dolly often, although I have never let it get to the boiling point, I'm sure it would if I never intervene. Scrimps and Dolly have no issues what so ever. Peggy will get in the middle of any excitement by anyone. Just mouthing the others in the face as to say" I'm tuff and can take any of you" but she couldn't, she's round. And like I said, I won't alow the boiling point to begin ever. It's a very quick loud Peggy! and a stern no! Also I clap my hands and move toward, before I get to them, it's done, never really started. My situation has never gotten out of hand, and I do allow them to all play together, I keep everyone in check, and peace in the pack. I don't know if any of this will help you, but this is my situation

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
In this case, it would seem to me to be more about the pup needs corrections than anything else simply because they do and can play together nicely. It just needs to be monitored closely and consistently corrected for a time and then they will get into the habit of playing like you want. The older dog isn't keen on the shenanigans of the younger one and that "staring" behavior -- I know it well -- that's stalking behavior and must be stopped. When you see that happening, snap the younger dog out of it by making a noise or touching him in the flanks. Bo used to do that to Bea but I've come to know the difference between engaging in play behavior and that stalking thing. Because I corrected him consistently, he no longer does it. The stalking look made Bea defensive -- and I have the idea that it's creating that behavior in your older pup as well -- and that's absolutely understandable! Since dogs operate on instinct; her instinct is to protect herself. Can you blame her? ha ha ha

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Ok my 2 cents here...Your 1 year old is at that age where they tend to try to find their status or make it I should say, in the pack order. Sounds to me like she is the one you need to work with mainly being the instigator and all. What worked for me was 1.) hand feeding and making her work for her food. When we brought Miila home she was a little over a year and after a month or 2 of coexisting just fine she wanted to move her status up. Came here and learned a BUNCH from everyone and the first thing was this. Take a handful of food at a time. Make her sit/stay and take your time giving it to her. You are showing her YOU are in fact the boss and in charge of everything. Then make her do a trick, sit, laydown, sit pretty etc. After you are satisfied with that, let her eat the food from your hand. Repeat this with the whole bowl of food at every feeding for a few days or until you see some kind of change. Also, feed the older one first and have the younger watch in a sit/stay position. Higher up in the packs always eat first. Once you feel like you have made progress with the hand feeding you can then just move on to a more starting the feeding this way then release her to go eat from her bowl. While I let Miila do this, I also would then snap my fingers behind her and say take a break, making her stop eating when I chose, back up and sit down. Then I would just leave her to wait til my command to eat again. Maybe doing another trick before allowing her to finish. Seems sad and cruel but seriously helped me a LOT! 2.) when the younger one does something unacceptable like jump up on the couch and attack the older one, I personally would submit Miila and hold her for a few minutes after she calmed. If you are not comfortable doing this or arent sure how then dont. But def do NOT allow her on the couch with the other. Having them higher up gives them seniority in the pack. I had no idea and would put Miila in time out on the couch. Thankfully I was taught here that I was giving her power by doing this. You have to keep on top of her like a toddler, it is exhausting to no end BUT it paid off for me big time. Miila has been here almost a year and all 3 of my babies play, eat and sleep together like a perfect pack should. I know there is more but I think I have written an essay already. lmao I hope some of this helps. Please let us know how it is going and if you have any questions PLEASE ask. ;)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You got the right advice from the other members.... stay on top of the younger girl... she is pushing the limits with your senior and the senior is not wanting anything to do with that energy level. Nitschke was 7 yrs old when he passed, but just before that he had less and less patience/tolerance for the higher energy in younger pups. Walks together on leash with humans between the pups not only wears the energy out of the younger one, but tells both you are the lead - be sure the remain at your side or behind you - not in front of you. as for the furniture... they should not be up unless you invite them first .

Good luck and keep us posted

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
Ok my 2 cents here...Your 1 year old is at that age where they tend to try to find their status or make it I should say, in the pack order. Sounds to me like she is the one you need to work with mainly being the instigator and all. What worked for me was 1.) hand feeding and making her work for her food. When we brought Miila home she was a little over a year and after a month or 2 of coexisting just fine she wanted to move her status up. Came here and learned a BUNCH from everyone and the first thing was this. Take a handful of food at a time. Make her sit/stay and take your time giving it to her. You are showing her YOU are in fact the boss and in charge of everything. Then make her do a trick, sit, laydown, sit pretty etc. After you are satisfied with that, let her eat the food from your hand. Repeat this with the whole bowl of food at every feeding for a few days or until you see some kind of change. Also, feed the older one first and have the younger watch in a sit/stay position. Higher up in the packs always eat first. Once you feel like you have made progress with the hand feeding you can then just move on to a more starting the feeding this way then release her to go eat from her bowl. While I let Miila do this, I also would then snap my fingers behind her and say take a break, making her stop eating when I chose, back up and sit down. Then I would just leave her to wait til my command to eat again. Maybe doing another trick before allowing her to finish. Seems sad and cruel but seriously helped me a LOT! 2.) when the younger one does something unacceptable like jump up on the couch and attack the older one, I personally would submit Miila and hold her for a few minutes after she calmed. If you are not comfortable doing this or arent sure how then dont. But def do NOT allow her on the couch with the other. Having them higher up gives them seniority in the pack. I had no idea and would put Miila in time out on the couch. Thankfully I was taught here that I was giving her power by doing this. You have to keep on top of her like a toddler, it is exhausting to no end BUT it paid off for me big time. Miila has been here almost a year and all 3 of my babies play, eat and sleep together like a perfect pack should. I know there is more but I think I have written an essay already. lmao I hope some of this helps. Please let us know how it is going and if you have any questions PLEASE ask. ;)

Wow! I know I will be such good hands on this site when we eventually get our resuce bully and we need much advice. Dublin is such a submissive girl that I do worry about all of the stuff talked about here. I do belive she will be happier with a friend as we all will be. :2thumbs:

Trod1

Jul 2, 2012
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
Olive, Oscar
I agree with the others. Your younger pup needs to understand she isn't alpha. Your older dog should be fed first. She should be let out first. She should walk first and pup needs to learn that she is little sister. Another helpful tip we were told when we brought our Bully puppy home was our older dog should have toys that are exclusively hers that puppy cannot have and if puppy attempts to take or tease the older dog with the toy, you need to immediately intervene.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
You have some good advise above and just watch and correct the younger one. Our BeBe and Lucy used to fight some but we would stop it before it go heated. Now they are older and get along great. BeBe is top mama and as long as Lucy lets her be there is no problem. Now Jewel is a little over a year old and now she wants to be the one in charge and she and BeBe will get into it some times. We have to watch for the signs of her trying to be the alpha and stop her. Any time she has her ears up and walks up to BeBe we call Jewels name out with a stern voice and she stops. They will play together and will be nice but sometime Jewel gets a little to rough and we stop it. You just have to constantly monitor them.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.