Recalls: Radioactive pet food bowls and contaminated cat treats

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
(pasted from Abby's vet's website)

Two recalls of note this morning: First, Petco has issued a recall of a certain brand of stainless steel bowl because of possible radioactivity and pet food company Arthur Dogswell LLC is recalling some lots of its Catswell cat treats.

This is one we haven't seen before: Petco has determined that one of its foreign suppliers (hmmm, we wonder who) used stainless steel containing small quantities of Cobalt-60 when fabricating certain orders of certain SKUs/models of stainless steel pet food bowls. Cobalt-60 is a radioactive material commonly used in industrial gauging equipment and other uses.

The company is unsure how the material got into the bowl but it believes it came from scrap metal that had some Cobalt-60 accidentally mixed in. The affected products were found to emit low levels of radiation.

The Cobalt-60 levels in the affected products are far below State and Federal regulatory limits. All of the expert testing conducted on these products to date indicates that there is no health risk to the public, to our associates or to pets.

The affected products were limited to two cargo containers that entered the United States in late May and early June.

The issue was discovered by customs agents during a routine import screening of one of the containers. That container was held at the port and never reached Petco. The second container had previously cleared Customs and reached Petco’s distribution network.

The company removed from store shelves and from the website all products from the supplier that produced the bowls.

The vast majority of all of the affected products remain at Petco distribution centers, are quarantined outside and never reached our stores.

We also confirmed that very few affected items were actually sold to consumers. We are working to contact those customers to inform them of the situation and to retrieve those particular bowls.

Petco has notified the Nuclear Regulatory Commission and a number of state governments, and is in the process of notifying other appropriate states as we continue to collect and verify information.

The company has put a hold on future shipments until this issue is resolved.

Customers who purchased these products between the dates of May 31 and June 20, 2012, should bring it to their local Petco store for a full refund. If you have any questions, please call Petco Customer Service at 877-738-6742.

SKU numbers can be found on labels inside and on the bottom of the bowls. More information at Petco website.

Meanwhile, Arthur Dogswell LLC has issued a recall of its Catswell Brand VitaKitty Chicken Breast with Flaxseed and Vitamins because it has the potential to contain propylene glycol.

High levels of propylene glycol - which is used a wide range of products including soap, moisturizer and anti-freeze - in the treats could result in serious injury to cats.

No illnesses have been reported to date.

The VitaKitty treats were distributed nationwide via retail stores and mail order from April 13th through June 14th, 2012.

This product is packaged in a re-sealable 2 ounce orange plastic bag with a clear window. The VitaKitty Chicken Breast with Flaxseed and Vitamins lot codes affected are as follows: SEW12CH032701/03c and SEW12CH032702/03c with a best before date of 09/10/13 and 09/11/13, respectively (UPC code 8 84244 00057 2). Lot codes can be found on the bottom right backside of the package.

“We are taking this voluntary action because it is in the best interests of our customers and their feline companions,” says founder Marco Giannini. “We will be working with the FDA in our continued commitment to ensure that we meet FDA guidelines.”

The recallresulted from a routine surveillance sample collected by the company and the Food and Drug Administration. Arthur Dogswell has ceased distribution of the affected product.

Consumers who have purchased VitaKitty Chicken Breast with Flaxseed and Vitamins from the affected lot codes are urged to return it to the place of purchase for a full refund. If the affected product was purchased online, consumers should contact the internet retailer to understand their specific return and refund process. Consumers with questions may contact Arthur Dogswell at 1-888-559-8833 from 8AM to 5PM PST, Monday through Friday, or leave a message at any time.

For updates on pet product recalls issued by the Food and Drug Administration bookmark this website.

http://www.petco.com/petco_page_pc_...mc=redirect-_-stainlessbowlnotice-_-van-_-url

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/default.htm

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
nothing is safe.... unbeliveable

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Good grief Charlie Brown now I have to worry about buying bowls in the future?! This is horrible!!! Uuuuggghhhh

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Omg... somehow I never worried about the bowls, since once you wash them they should be fine right? UGH...........

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Makes me anxious to think all our bowls and plates etc were probably also made in "a foreign country". Silverware etc.... nice.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
CRAP ... Bella has a stainless steel bowl and now I'm trying to think if I got it from Petland or Petco!!!! :eek:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.