Puppy - New Food

mdn525

Aug 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Petunia aka "Tuni"
Hello! I switched Tuni's food two days ago and I noticed she has A LOT more energy and when I got home yesterday at lunch and after work she was in her crate crying...she is usually passed out sleeping. Do you think her tummy could be upset from the new food? I'm doing a gradual change 3/4-1/4 - Switching from Eukanuba to Fromm

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Brutus used to whine all the time when he was a puppy in his crate..he wanted out LOL

Fromm is a great food compared to Euk so she just needs sometime to adjust to the new food...How are the poops? Firm if not you can cut back a little bit on the new food and add a little more old food...Others will be by with more advice :)

She looks a lot like Brutus's brothers and sisters they were all the same color Brutus was the only red one :)

OP
mdn525

mdn525

Aug 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Petunia aka "Tuni"
I've done a lot of research and I was really impressed with Fromm. I started her on the Beef Firtatta, her breeder said it was fine as long as we were using supplements to help with her bone development. She usually is really good in her crate, she will cry a little but sleeps all day...I just thought it was weird she was up and crying when I got home yesterday

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
I've done a lot of research and I was really impressed with Fromm. I started her on the Beef Firtatta, her breeder said it was fine as long as we were using supplements to help with her bone development. She usually is really good in her crate, she will cry a little but sleeps all day...I just thought it was weird she was up and crying when I got home yesterday

I agree as I did the same and switched to Fromm...In the beginning I was feeding him too much and his poop was soft then I cut back a little and they firmed right up and now no problems at all! She is adorable...She was probably excited to see you :)

OP
mdn525

mdn525

Aug 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Petunia aka "Tuni"
I agree as I did the same and switched to Fromm...In the beginning I was feeding him too much and his poop was soft then I cut back a little and they firmed right up and now no problems at all! She is adorable...She was probably excited to see you :)

I'll go with that! :) I'm always excited to see her too! Even though she's in the terror stage right now...those puppy teeth....OW! Her poops have been pretty firm...she just goes A LOT! She went 4x this morning! I also started her on new treats that she LOVES....Nature Balance Salmon, Sweet Potato and Apple...she literally drive bombs me for them, lol.

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
:eek: Thats not 4 times in one day? I would give her the Fromm as treats for now until you know what agrees with her...IMO Brutus has bad poops farts b/c of Blue Buffalo treats so I started givng him kibble as treats and it worked good...U can also give green beans as treats..Sometimes their tummys cant handle the treats and such at this age...She will do dives for the green beans I bet :)

OP
mdn525

mdn525

Aug 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Petunia aka "Tuni"
:eek: Thats not 4 times in one day? I would give her the Fromm as treats for now until you know what agrees with her...IMO Brutus has bad poops farts b/c of Blue Buffalo treats so I started givng him kibble as treats and it worked good...U can also give green beans as treats..Sometimes their tummys cant handle the treats and such at this age...She will do dives for the green beans I bet :)

Yikes! Do you think that's too much? That was just this morning too... :( Now I feel bad...they've been solid so I haven't been worrying. Do you think I should back off of the food switch? I really wanted to get her off the Eukanuba, but I don't want her tummy upset.

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Yikes! Do you think that's too much? That was just this morning too... :( Now I feel bad...they've been solid so I haven't been worrying. Do you think I should back off of the food switch? I really wanted to get her off the Eukanuba, but I don't want her tummy upset.

I would stick with the Fromm and stop all treats for now! Just give her some Fromm kibble as treats for now! You can add 1tbsp of canned pumpkin (not pie filling) that should help. Yea 4 times in a day is about normal...How much are you feeding her?

OP
mdn525

mdn525

Aug 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Petunia aka "Tuni"
I would stick with the Fromm and stop all treats for now! Just give her some Fromm kibble as treats for now! You can add 1tbsp of canned pumpkin (not pie filling) that should help. Yea 4 times in a day is about normal...How much are you feeding her?

She gets about 3/4 cup per feeding 3x a day. The Eukanuba bag (small breed puppy) said 2 1/4 cups per day for her weight. She's about 13lbs and going to be 10 weeks Friday.

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Try the pumpkin and stop the treats and see how it goes for now! The amount sounds right for her age Brutus was the same schedule...She is still young and the food is so different she needs some time to get used to it ...The pumpkin will help settle her tummy.

fcamargo6thave

Apr 30, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
the upset tommy can be from the switch as this happenned to me when we switched over it took about 10 days for his poop to harden but now i notice his coat and weight are doing great with fromm

OP
mdn525

mdn525

Aug 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Petunia aka "Tuni"
Okay, glad it's normal. I'll stick with the new food and no treats and see if that helps. I'll also pick up some pumpkin...oh my! I worry about her so much while I'm at work I swear I get nothing done!

OP
mdn525

mdn525

Aug 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Petunia aka "Tuni"
I only need to worry if it turns to diarrhea right? I worry about her getting dehydrated from pooping so much!

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes if it gets runny and not formed...just make sure she has fresh water all the time :)

I dont know if you mentioned this yet has the poo been checked for parasites/bacteria?

OP
mdn525

mdn525

Aug 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Petunia aka "Tuni"
Yes if it gets runny and not formed...just make sure she has fresh water all the time :)

I dont know if you mentioned this yet has the poo been checked for parasites/bacteria?

Her poop was checked at her first vet check about 2 weeks ago...they said everything was good. She seems a lot better after I cut out the new treats...I think it was too much change at once. Thanks for all the help :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.