QR Barcode Dog Tags

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
Anyone have experience with these? My inner geek is considering nerdifying Ellie Mae with one. We've all seen the bar codes on a gazillion products in the store that you can scan with a bar code reader on a smart phone. Basically, it's one of these bar codes on a dog tag with a self identifying number designated for each tag. You can use the number associated with your tag to upload a picture, vet info, contact info, medical history, medications, vaccinations, etc onto a website. Should the pup go missing and be found, the finder can scan the bar code with their smart phone and bring up all of the owner information. Pet Hub offers a good selection, but wanted to see if anyone had used them before. Here's an example of the bar code.

new-red-dingo-skull-all-colors.jpg

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Those are cool! Let your inner geek get one!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
WOW... totally cool! did not know about this for pets... i will be looking into it

OP
spork3127

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Did some more reading on Pet Hub's site and they offer 3 types of membership.

The Bronze that comes with a tag and just lets you create the profile and make this or that public for anyone who might find the pup.

Silver ($39 a year) that includes the Bronze membership but also offers email notifications when the tag is scanned with GPS coordinates and local shelter notifications.

Gold ($49 a year) that offers the Bronze and Silver plus EmergencyFirst MEdical Insurance that provides $3,000 emergency insurance that covers your pet for injuries sustained while lost, and the ability to add on a pet to the insurance for $5 a year.

This stuff is pretty cool to me. I may be jumping on this.

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
Those are cool....I have both my dogs micro chipped... But I can see the value of those tags, as well

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
Sad to say, I dont have faith in society.
I rather have him/her microchipped .
That way, when or if they make it to a vet or the dog pound, they will be scanned to find their owner ...

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Love them! I'd probably go for the Silver option as I, too, is a bit skeptical sharing private info so openly.

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
I meant that with a tag, someone would just take it off & throw it away in order to keep your pet....

OP
spork3127

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm a techy guy, so it appeals to me in the technology aspect. We're planning on having Ellie microchipped when she's spayed, but I think it's a neat alternative to the typical name, address, phone, etc of normal tags.

In regards to microchipping, a co-worker had a bad experience with a lost pup that was microchipped. The local pound had picked him up and didn't scan him and he was 3 days away from being put down. They found him when they dropped off a flyer and asked to go back and see the dogs that were in and there he was. :cursing: I guess that just shows that there's no full proof way to find an animal that may be missing, but I think this gives a neat alternative in a very technological world. I'd still probably do a basic tag with name and contact info just because there are still so many people that wouldn't know what to do with the tag. I like that with the QR tag you can add allergies, medical needs, etc that you wouldn't find on normal tags.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I'm a techy guy, so it appeals to me in the technology aspect. We're planning on having Ellie microchipped when she's spayed, but I think it's a neat alternative to the typical name, address, phone, etc of normal tags.

In regards to microchipping, a co-worker had a bad experience with a lost pup that was microchipped. The local pound had picked him up and didn't scan him and he was 3 days away from being put down. They found him when they dropped off a flyer and asked to go back and see the dogs that were in and there he was. :cursing: I guess that just shows that there's no full proof way to find an animal that may be missing, but I think this gives a neat alternative in a very technological world. I'd still probably do a basic tag with name and contact info just because there are still so many people that wouldn't know what to do with the tag. I like that with the QR tag you can add allergies, medical needs, etc that you wouldn't find on normal tags.

Unfortunately, what you say is true.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Actually, I think using this along with chipping is a good idea. If they are found and the person is honest, you may get them back more quickly than them waiting to get him/her to the vet or shelter to get them scanned.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I like the silver choice that gives you GPS on where the tag was scanned...my belief is that even a thief would not be able to resist scanning it to see what it says, and mist people are aware now that those are scan codes :2thumbs: I shall be looking to see if there is a UK version yet. Good find x

I am with you on that! Might lead you to them. I would scan it out of curiosity lol

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
spork3127

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
After finding a 50% off coupon code with a quick Google search, I went ahead and ordered the pink skull and crossbones tag below for Ellie......bwahahahahaha

new-red-dingo-skull-all-colors.jpg

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online