Feeding schedule for Puppy/Bloat

mdn525

Aug 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Petunia aka "Tuni"
What's everyone's feeding schedule like for their puppy? I leave for work early so she has breakfast around 6am then goes back out around 8 when my fiance leaves for work. Someone comes over to let her go potty around 11am, then I'm home from work at 3pm to do her lunch feeding. I'm wondering if this is too late in the day for her mid-day feeding and if I should have someone feed her at lunchtime.

The only reason I haven't has someone else do her feeding is because I worry so much about bloat, do I really need to be watching her water intake with food?

I never knew about bloat until I started doing some research and now I'm very nervous and make sure not to allow her any water with food. I just wanted to see everyone's opinion!

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
Ellie eats shortly after 6:30 AM after I get up and take her out. She usually does both outside in the mornings first thing. We then feed her and put her back in her crate for around 45 minutes while we get ready for work and take her back outside around 7:20-7:30. I come home somewhere between 11:30-12:00 to take her out, feed her, and take her out a 2nd time before going back to work. She eats her dinner around 6:30 at night.

As far as the bloat concerns go, it's definitely a concern for me as well. Ellie would inhale her food in less than a minute during feedings. We switched to a slow feed bowl that has pushed that time back to about 4 minutes. Our vet also recommended either spreading the food out across a floor if there was enough space or using a muffin tray with a little bit of kibble in each muffin hole. In regards to water, Ellie usually drinks throughout the time that we're at home, so when she eats, the water consumption isn't too bad. Hope this helps some.

OP
mdn525

mdn525

Aug 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Petunia aka "Tuni"
Ellie eats shortly after 6:30 AM after I get up and take her out. She usually does both outside in the mornings first thing. We then feed her and put her back in her crate for around 45 minutes while we get ready for work and take her back outside around 7:20-7:30. I come home somewhere between 11:30-12:00 to take her out, feed her, and take her out a 2nd time before going back to work. She eats her dinner around 6:30 at night.

As far as the bloat concerns go, it's definitely a concern for me as well. Ellie would inhale her food in less than a minute during feedings. We switched to a slow feed bowl that has pushed that time back to about 4 minutes. Our vet also recommended either spreading the food out across a floor if there was enough space or using a muffin tray with a little bit of kibble in each muffin hole. In regards to water, Ellie usually drinks throughout the time that we're at home, so when she eats, the water consumption isn't too bad. Hope this helps some.

Thank you so much for you response! How old is your puppy? Tuni also eats very fast but I started using a wider feeding dish and that seems to slow her down a bit. It's my first puppy of my own and I'm so nervous about everything! I guess it's my personality too, I'm a worrier! Do you leave a water dish in Ellie's crate? I'm thinking of leaving one in Tuni's because it seems like she's so thirsty when I get home. She's been doing wonderful with potty training, so I'm hoping if I do add a water dish she won't have any accidents.

Another question maybe someone else will know, which is more of the concern with bloat...food or water or is it the mixture of both together?

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
Not a problem. She's a couple of days shy of 16 weeks. We don't leave a water dish in her crate because she can get ummm........rambunctious? :jumping: And water would be EVERYWHERE. She does seem to be thirsty when we first get home in the evenings, but it's usually about an hour before she eats after she drinks some water. I've seen small food/water dishes that can hang from the inside of a crate that might be worth a shot.....never tried them though. You also might want to check out the puppy group here. There may be some more information over there.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/group.php?groupid=27

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I would leave a small amount of water in the crate, not a lot, but just enough. :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Thank you so much for you response! How old is your puppy? Tuni also eats very fast but I started using a wider feeding dish and that seems to slow her down a bit. It's my first puppy of my own and I'm so nervous about everything! I guess it's my personality too, I'm a worrier! Do you leave a water dish in Ellie's crate? I'm thinking of leaving one in Tuni's because it seems like she's so thirsty when I get home. She's been doing wonderful with potty training, so I'm hoping if I do add a water dish she won't have any accidents.

Another question maybe someone else will know, which is more of the concern with bloat...food or water or is it the mixture of both together?

Lots of pups start cutting out the midday meal at a few months old. Some earlier...may I suggest a slow feed ball to slow down their eating? Jake used to eat so fast he'd throw up. I was very worried about bloat..once I got this ball..no more problem! I got mine from Amazon..

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
What do you suggest a bowl or Lixit?

I would tell you if i knew what a lixut was? Google my friend here i come.....
Okay now i see. I have had similar in the past and they leaked, but not that brand. If you get a good one those are probably great!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.