Buy a pup or wait for an adoptable bully

PeterPanAndWendy

Jul 27, 2011
Lindsey, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pan Cake
So we are at a crossroads. We so want another bully. But in my heart I want to rescue a bully. We've applied to foster and have tried to adopt, but haven't heard back. I know that it takes time, that the rescues are all volunteered based. But my heart yearns for another one so badly. I really think we could offer such a wonderful home.

But our currently family makeup is probably hindering us from being fully considered. My daughter and my infant grandson have just moved back in, so for his safety a rescue probably isn't going to work out. I know that they prefer homes with older or no children. You never know the history of the babies that come into rescue.

So Pete, always trying give me what I want, says tonight, to call Pan's breeder and see if they are planning on having anymore pups. So my heart is torn. Before Pan we always had rescue dogs, saving one from the shelter has always made sense to me.

Pan is so good with the baby. He really is the sweetest thing.

I have come to really value the insights of everyone here. You always give sound advise. My daughter will probably stay here for at least two more years. So we will eventually have a toddler running running around the house. Any advise, or past experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Rescues have rules like "no kids under 7" (as one example) because of the long, long history of rescue failures with those families. It's not you --- it's everyone else, right?

I think that once you "put it out there" that you're ready for another pup, another pup will come along. Remember, we don't get the dog we want, we get the dog we need.

Patience!

Sandy

Aug 28, 2010
Virginia Beach, Va.
Bulldog(s) Names
Harper Jiggs
I sent in applications to two rescues last year and never heard back. I even called to ask why I hadn't been approved and didn't get an answer saying "they would be back in touch". I have had 3 bulldogs over the past 27 years and spent thousands on surgeries, prescription foods, anything they needed. Had great references from my vet, dermatologist vet, and "country club" boarding facility where they stay if I need to travel. My first two are buried at Garden of the Pines pet cemetery here. Buster is now 7 and my little dog is almost 14. The only reason I can figure for not being approved is because I have a pool and/or stairs in my home. Our dogs are part of our family. Guess I will be buying a puppy when the time comes.

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
Before Bruin & Lilly, I applied also and never heard anything, not one single call. I absolutely understand its volunteer based, and they have a lot going on, but I'm the kind of person that appreciates a phone call or email back even if its just saying 'Hey got your app, looking into it'...I still have no idea if there was a reason why they didn't call. We don't have young children, it's just us 2 and sometimes his daughter who was 14 at the time. We don't have a fenced yard, maybe that was it, but I'll never know unless they would have made that quick phone call and tell me (can you tell I'm a little bitter about it :ashamed:). I'm very impatient so we went out and bought a bulldog. Sometimes I feel bad that I didn't rescue, but I put myself out there, filled out apps, made calls to people that were on the bca contact list and nothing, so I assumed they just didn't have any bulldogs to place. This probably didn't help you any, but I just wanted you to know that you're not the only one that rescues didn't call back. I do believe what [MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] said "we don't get the dog we want, we get the dog we need" but again I didn't want to wait :(

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
I adopted Gio last December from a family who wanted to choose who he went to them selves. I found him online on eBay classifieds. The family was moving in with the the husbands parents and they couldn't take Gio with them. We called two days after they posted him and they already had 4 people calling for him but they chose us because we knew the breed. I went and picked him up 5 days later from New York! We also put in for a shelter bully and never heard from the shelter!

Taylor

Jul 10, 2012
Pittsburgh
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Charlotte Elizabeth
I would like to suggest you put your name on a list for a bulldog at the Humane Society or the ASPCA. I don't think people realize they can do this, but you can ask that they call you if one comes in.
These places have thousands of dogs coming through and they are in a hurry to get them out. The sad truth of it is that sometimes the dogs get placed with owners that don't know how to care for them.
As most everyone knows, I got Charlotte from the Humane Society. We applied to adopt her, signed the paperwork, paid the $50, and brought her home within 24 hours....it can happen that quickly!

roanne9145

Apr 11, 2010
Palmyra New York
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Apple, Grudge, Chisel and Rukus
Wow didn't know it was that hard to adopt a bulldog. As a bulldog breeder I come accross many bulldogs that need a home for some reason or another. Am I allowed to post them on here if they are for adoption? It would be great to know that they get such loving homes from people who know bulldogs. I just assumed with all the bullies in rescue that they were fairly easy to find homes for them. Geeeezzzz so sorry you are having trouble.

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Rescues have rules like "no kids under 7" (as one example) because of the long, long history of rescue failures with those families. It's not you --- it's everyone else, right?

I think that once you "put it out there" that you're ready for another pup, another pup will come along. Remember, we don't get the dog we want, we get the dog we need.

Patience!
:clap2: Bravo ! You're as so right . This is excellent advice! This is so very true.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I know how hard it can be to get a dog from rescue. As you said they are volunteer based and really are strapped for time (not just money!). We have lots of strikes against us too with no fence, a dog that is intact, etc. I would suggest you try one more time for a rescue since that is where your heart is. Maybe attach a note letting them know about your background and willingness to make sure your bully gets the best care possible. You may also want to follow the advice above and put your name in at the humane society. They really do need to move them out quickly, so you may get a call.

Having an infant in the house really can limit your possibilities so if they don't choose your home in a few months, then follow your heart.

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
Your post came at a very significant time for me. We got Dublin as a pup from a breeder as I was torn at that point about rescue or a new puppy. I decided at that point after much research that it was better for all concerned as I did not have any experience with English Bulldogs. Well move on two years later and I so badly want another EB. Having (like you) spent thousands on Dublin's surgeries there was no way I could afford a new puppy even if I wanted. I am very honest in saying while I love puppies ( who doesnt') I much prefer when they are older. I began the addoption process with two resuce agencies here in FL. Filled in the exact same criteria. I don't have small children, no stairs, but have a pool, and like you have experience with EB's. We work from home so we are here most of the time. Anyway, not a word from one. I understand again that most are volunteers and give their time with great hearts, but not even a phone call or an email just to say "I have your application". On the other hand Adopt-a-Bull were on it right away. They are in Coral Springs Florida ( on the east coast and we are on the west) The application was lengthy to say the least and the phone call was gruelling. One and half hours later I totally "fell in love" with Beth. She was all business and honestly brusque for about a quarter of the interview and it felt more like an interrogation rather than an interview, but during that time her passion for what she does came out loud and clear and I "got it" It turned out that they were having their 5th B'day party that same weekend so we made the almost 4 hour trip across state ( Dublin is a great traveller) to join in. What a wonderful time and Beth and Erica ( the founder) are just the warmest people you could meet. They fell in love with Dublin and thanfully with us:jumpdance: They had 3 wonderful dogs for adoption at the party but I didnt' feel there was that connection for all of us and we are not ready until sometime next month. It was great to meet Beth and now she knows the personality of the dog that we will love and who will love us back and be happy with us. We had the home visit and that went great also. We are on our way. I have no doubt that Beth and Erica will find us a wonderful new addition to our family. I still have not heard from the other agency... I was very upfront about what we could provide or not provide for the new dog. We can't afford major surgeries ( but most of the dogs have the surgeries done before you take them home, at least the ones that are obvious). M. Diva Dubbie can attest to the 5 star care she gets as will and other dog that comes into our home. We decided after the meet up that we would like a male and we had age requirements that we will stick to. Beth totally understands and so we have forged this wonderful relationship. Ultimately she wants what is best for her rescues. If the pool had been an issue then we just couldn't adopt as we are not planning on moving anytime soon. Your situation comes with different issues and I think you are right to consider your grandson's safety over everything else. I think you should go along with Pete's idea ( he sounds like a wonderful guy) and get that other puppy. You will have lots of time to rescue down the road. I know exactly how you are feeling about wanting another EB and the resuce was right for me now, but I think I see a beautiful new puppy in your future.:2thumbs:

OP
PeterPanAndWendy

PeterPanAndWendy

Jul 27, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Pan Cake
You guys are great! I preach patience. So the waiting isn't whats killing me, it's the not knowing. Not knowing if I continue to wait will there be a light at the end of my tunnel.

You guys have definitely made me feel like I am not alone in this.

I will continue to wait. I think maybe if I haven't heard anything in the next couple of months I will try for a puppy.

Thank you guys for always being there with advise and sharing your experiences. You have no idea how much it means!

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
You guys are great! I preach patience. So the waiting isn't whats killing me, it's the not knowing. Not knowing if I continue to wait will there be a light at the end of my tunnel.

You guys have definitely made me feel like I am not alone in this.

I will continue to wait. I think maybe if I haven't heard anything in the next couple of months I will try for a puppy.

Thank you guys for always being there with advise and sharing your experiences. You have no idea how much it means!

Ahh! the not knowing.... I am with you on that one :yes: Your heart will guide you and it sounds like you have some adjustments in your life right now. Your daughter is very lucky to have a mom like you, and providing a stable home for that grandbaby of yours is a wonderful thing.:2thumbs:

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I would be bugging some places tell they were tired of hearing from me! I have no patience when I want something I make it happen and if I cant I do all i can to accomplish it. If you want to rescue and that is where your heart is I say stick with that and going through puppy days my self, you have to ask yourself do you want to go through that again or does a adult fit your lifestyle better? Either way in the end you will get what you are ment to have and be thrilled with it! The waiting stinks thought!

OP
PeterPanAndWendy

PeterPanAndWendy

Jul 27, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Pan Cake
[MENTION=4786]Dubbiedog[/MENTION] you have no idea... lol. I just keep telling her "It's a good thing I love you!"
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/member.php?u=4786
[MENTION=5264]sweetpeasmom2008[/MENTION] I don't want to pester. They have enough going on with caring for the bullies. Puppies and rescues are all going to be work. I'm home all but two days a week, so I have the time to spend with them.

But you're right, I will be excited either way.

I'm just gonna have to put on my big girl pants and stick out the wait...lol

redhed

Jun 22, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sancho
...Remember, we don't get the dog we want, we get the dog we need.

Patience!

So true!!!!!

Adopting a bully is a very time-consuming, frustrating process. We tried for the last year or so to rescue a Frenchie through the large Frenchie rescue organization. We applied for numerous dogs and didn't get a single response back.

We have a single story, single-family home with a large fenced yard, no pool, no other pets and no kids. We wanted to give all our love to one lucky dog :) Also, Hubby has had two American Bulldogs in the past and works for a veterinary pharma company, so we have the "pick of the litter" as far as vets are concerned. He even has documented professional dog training experience. Still, after applying for a handful of dogs, not a peep.

After the last two turned out to have already been adopted out at the time we submitted our apps and got our hopes up and all of that, we pretty much soured on the process. Sad, but true.

As things go, though, a friend of ours in TX knew we were looking to rescue and sent us a picture of our Sancho. His original owners had surrendered him to the vet after he tested positive for parvo at his initial puppy visit :( Even though we had a few reservations about getting a puppy, we decided to do it -- and it's proven to be one of the best decisions we've ever made. We love him to pieces and thank our friend (and the foster mom who cared for him post-treatment) every day.

We certainly didn't get the dog that we (thought) we wanted, but we did get the dog we needed. Everything truly does happen for a reason and I'm sure the right one will come to you even if it's not in the way you expect.

Good luck!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.