Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Their front legs, joints and jumping down

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me! Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Their front legs, joints and jumping down

Quote Originally Posted by BruceP View Post
    I have seen posts here of several young bullies injuring their legs jumping down off of things but not so much full grown bullies. Having said that I dont know that it is any more prevalent in bullies than any other young breed.
    I agree with Bruce....Even as they get older jumping down the wrong way could cause a serious injury...We had to block off the side of our steps as their isnt a wall and instead of Brutus going all the way down he would jump from the 4th step I would rather be safe then sorry and with bullies their joints arent as sturdy lets say as other breeds...
    Everyone wants to kiss a bullie

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    By many names depending on the situation?
    Likes (Received)

Hello,

How old is your Bullie? Until they are a year old my opinion and recommendation is to prevent them from jumping or even standing on their back legs to lean up against you. I had a puppy who got hurt as a young puppy but not too bad. I am very cautious and make sure that my g'kids know to not encourage them to jump off the couch or jump up.

After the one year mark, they are generally OK with some reasonable jumping. 4 ft does seem like a bit much.

G'Day~
    B&B~ABEBD

"Opinions are FREE, Suggestions are TRUSTED, Advice is RESPECTED" bwl @2013

A bad BOY, not a girl! Become a 4 Paw Member LolasPuppet's Avatar
    Ljubljana & Portorož, both in Slovenia, in the middle of Europe
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RiiSi View Post
    It would be better not to let bulldogs go down stairs or jump down too much before they're around a year old. It is better to let the growth plates in their joints harden before letting them exersice freely. Didn't her breeder tell you that? It's not certain that it always causes problems, but there is that possibility.
    I asked him if I should worry about it (she was 6 months at the time I got her), and he said "she has very strong legs", so I stopped worrying about it.

But he also said I shouldn't worry about her scratching, then she got a hot spot (the scratching was rare and light, though). The breeder seems quite old school, like grandpas who have a "just walk it off" attitude towards kids. Not sure that's the right attitude with bullies ...

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ABEBD View Post
    How old is your Bullie? Until they are a year old my opinion and recommendation is to prevent them from jumping or even standing on their back legs to lean up against you. I had a puppy who got hurt as a young puppy but not too bad. I am very cautious and make sure that my g'kids know to not encourage them to jump off the couch or jump up.
    8 months.
    Damn, she jumps up even more. She's super active for a bully, so it's not going to be easy to prevent her from jumping up and/or down. I even have to gate the stairs now, as she constantly goes up and down (she loves it) ...

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    By many names depending on the situation?
    Likes (Received)

Hello,

8 months is a very active age for a bullie. Up and down stairs I think are fine as long as they are NOT jumping down the stairs?

I have Bullies from Europe also~! 2 from Kiev Ukraine, 2 from Hungary, 1 Yugoslavia.....and 1 from S. Africa. I have lots of friends in Europe! Nice to meet you

G'Day~
    B&B~ABEBD

"Opinions are FREE, Suggestions are TRUSTED, Advice is RESPECTED" bwl @2013

Potty Trainer Daizy and Dukes mom's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Daizy & Duke
    Likes (Received)

Daizy was a crazy a puppy and used to jump from the floor to the dining room table as well as on the crate (I dont think anyone told her she was a bully and not a monkey..lol) Anyhow, she broke her right foot and had to have pins put in. That was when she was around 9 months. We still have no idea how she did it, So be careful!!!

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by LolasPuppet View Post
    I asked him if I should worry about it (she was 6 months at the time I got her), and he said "she has very strong legs", so I stopped worrying about it.

But he also said I shouldn't worry about her scratching, then she got a hot spot (the scratching was rare and light, though). The breeder seems quite old school, like grandpas who have a "just walk it off" attitude towards kids. Not sure that's the right attitude with bullies ...
    It true that we shouldn't worry so much, but some things should be taken in to consideration....It's not just with bullies, but all heavy built dog and even more so with giant breeds. It doesn't really matter how strong a bone is the growth plate is still soft. You can google growth plate fractures and see if Lola has any symptoms. Hope not. I also would hate to think that we have bred our beloved bullies so fragile that they can't move as they wan't when they're fully grown.

-dsc_0204-jpgHere's my baby flying.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -dsc_0204-nef-jpg  

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola
    Likes (Received)

@RiiSi: Yeah, true. And thanks, I googled growth plate fractures and found some useful information. It looks like most damage can be done 'till they're around 8 months old, though, Lola is closing in on 9 now. She's not showing any signs of any symptoms, so now I just have to hope it won't have a long term affect ...

Btw., FANTASTIC pic! Look it's a flying bully!

@ABEBD: Nice! Spreading the gene pool ...
    And I try paying close attention that she goes down the stairs slowly.

@Daizy and Dukes mom: Lola is very similar. It's quite unreal how active she is, especially for a bully.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads