Leaving Bully at Home

kev122573

Mar 1, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Tipsy
Okay so I have a general question, because of changes to my work schedule I am now putting Tipsy in day camp Mon, wed and Fri. Hughes days and Thursdays she stays at home I leave home about seven and I come back home at noon to play with her for half an hour, give her more food or water if she wants it and then I go back to work till 4:30. I know for a fact that she sleeps most of the time because videotaped her but I am getting the guilty neglecting parent feeling. I want to know if there's anyone else in the same kind of situation where they leave their bully for about five or six hours at a time and if that's okay for a bulldog. Oh and for some reason she doesn't drink or eat when I am gone, only eats and drinks when i am there. Is that weird?

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
We leave our bully home alone for most of the day as well and he is fine. We do have a doggie door that opens to an outdoor kennel so he can go outside and relieve himself and there is a kennel on the inside of the house too. He sleeps all day as well, I have a webcam inside and outside so we can watch him from computer/smartphones. Also he really doesn't drink much water during the day either, a little bit on days when it's really hot out but I would say on average he sleeps until about 4-430 in the afternoon.

roanne9145

Apr 11, 2010
Palmyra New York
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Apple, Grudge, Chisel and Rukus
You shouldn't feel guilty leaving them during the day....Many people who have dogs have to work and they sleep most of the day anyway. As far as drinking or eating mine only eat in the morining and at night. Just leave water and if they are thirsty they will drink. I don't leave anything they can tear apart and maybe swallow. Hard rubber toys that they can't get in their mouth is fine. I personally would not let mine go in and out in the hot weather. My girl would sit there and get way to hot...Silly dogs! Good luck! It sounds like you are a very good mommy.
Roanne

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Lots of us leave our Bully's..a few have cameras and you are right..they sleep most of the day..I'll ag a few people that will help set your mind at ease! [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION]..[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION]..[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION]...

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Yes. All day long. Sleep sleep sleep. Maybe turn around..but sleep sleep sleep some more. You, at least get to see her mid day and have some play time. I usually kennel Vegas and Orion about 8:30 am and their daddy gets home about 4:30 to 5pm. They do fine.

I think all new parents feel guilty about leaving their babies home at first. Doesn't matter if they are skin or fur kids.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Thanks for the mention @JAKEISGREAT :D

My three guys have been left at home since they were 8 weeks (someone has to work for them to live the good life!). The bullies, Wilson and Emma, are the only ones crated. Jack's a non bully and he rarely gets into trouble. I'm gone 10 hours sometimes 10.5 and they're just fine. If felt guilty at first but they both have pretty big crates with lots of room to move now that they're over the potty training age - Wilson's 1.5 years and Emma's 8 months. I bought a home monitoring systems (not to be confused with a home security system) from a company called www.vuezone.com. Check them out. You have to have wifi. The reason I went with them is that they had an app for my iphone so I could check them anytime/anywhere. Another reason I went with them is the way their system mounts. The cameras actually attached to the base by magnetic force. I can take one camera (I have the two camera system) and move it anywhere in the house at any time I choose. I can also snap a picture or take a video.

How it helped me too monitoring them is that I was able to see at what approxmate hour they were potting so I knew how long they could hold it. Or what toys they're playing with and what toys they're not so I could adjust that if needed. It's pretty slick. :up:They have sales quite often too.

Good luck and your guy will be just fine, a bit lonely if there's not other dogs in the house but just fine. We always leave a radio on for our dogs too. :)

Oh yeah, I so simple to set up, under 20/15 minutes.

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
We are in the same situation as you! Winston is home all day by himself also, my husband goes home in the middle of the day to let him out and stuff and then he is fine until I get home around 5. We had a webcam on him also and all he does is sleep! I felt soo guilty at first until I realized hes going to sleep whether I am there or not. He has his water, toys, and AC hes good lol!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I leave my boys home alone 5 days a week from around 7:30am til 5pm, sometimes later. I keep them in the kitchen and laundry room area only so that they don't cause trouble in other parts of the house. At first I would have a sitter come in to check up on them at noon time, or I myself would drop by to check on them, but I rarely do that anymore. I think they're fine when i'm away. I don't have a video cam but i suspect they do sleep quite a bit during the day.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I just took this a minute ago and I'm at work now. :2thumbs:

c9834bf0.jpg

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas is alone all day from 9:30 a.m. til after 5, I don't think he moves, I leave fresh water for him and when I get home he never even takes a drink. I leave and he is on the loveseat laying on his pillow, I come home and he is still on the loveseat on his pillow. It will be OK. lol

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Same here, gone from 6am to 430ish - sometimes my mom or sister stop in mid-day but not always - he's crates while we are gone because he would get in trouble with full rein of the house...try not to worry I know how hard it is. On my way home I stop no where I'm so anxious to get him out.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Love the webcam, need one of those
Lynn, it's wonderful and I never thought I'd be one of those peeps. I wish I would have had one with my boys that had passed, Ace & Orion. The VueZone's do go on sale, watch at the holiday time.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.