Tums and bulldogs

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
hm not sure i know you can give a pepcid to a dog. for his tear stains? not sure why you would give one for tear stains since they are usually from an allergy either food or enviromental.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Tums helps balance ph levels and can help in some cases. However I have never tried it. I believe it is a half of one per day. Like cowsmom said finding the source of them is a better idea.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
SOmeone said their VET told them they could give their bully ONE a day but I dont recall it being for tear stains. We were giving HRH TWO a day til we heard that. So I guess two won't kill them but probably better to stick to one or less.

ps: Is there an 'ideal' PH level for dogs? and I wonder how it is measured? Bakind soda tends to balance water ph at 8.2. That is what we go for with fish.

Last edited:

EmmittPylate

Feb 17, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
I have been giving them to Emmitt every day for a cpl wks now, you can give to them but it can't be the super strength just the regular one that's 500 mg.. And it's working for us it's not as red but I'm also using the malaket wipes I just got.. But the answer is yes you can give to them once a day.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I have heard of tums helping. Pepcid is just for tummy upset and won't do anything for the tear stains.

Gypsy has tear stains from environmental causes. We do know that for sure as we went to Florida for 5 weeks and her eyes stopped running and as soon as we got back to KY it came right back. Not much I can do to control the cause so I just use peroxide or a tear stain remover to try to keep the staining at a minimum.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
From what I read it's the Calcium in the Tums that helps. And the calcium can also be good for their bones.

I also read that too much calcium can cause pancreatitis.

Last edited:

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
From what I read it's the Calcium in the Tums that helps. And the calcium can also be good for their bones.

I also read that too much calcium can cause pancreatitis.

Can I ask where you read this? I'm concerned because calcium is the one of the most used phosphorous binders.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] I did a search. Can I give my dog Tums....it was one of the links. But I don't know if I could find it specifically.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
@Twice I did a search. Can I give my dog Tums....it was one of the links. But I don't know if I could find it specifically.

Thanks Lari :) I'm going to look for it. I'm worried because Abby gets Tums anytime she eats anything between meals. I give her aluminum hydroxide gel with meals but for snacks, treats... if she finds food she hid under the couch... lol She gets a Tums to bind that phosphorous. We're also considering giving her Epakitin which is a calcium carbonate.

I know that too much fat will cause pancreatitis but I've never heard calcium.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
@Twice I did a search. Can I give my dog Tums....it was one of the links. But I don't know if I could find it specifically.

I've searched. The problem you found refers to giving Tums when there might be a larger issue such as pancreatitis. A person might think the dog just has an upset stomach and give Tums indefinitely instead of seeking medical treatment. I found one blog where the writer says too much calcium causes it but he has no medical basis for this assumption.

I was concerned because calcium is a vital part of kidney failure treatment.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
It said something about being careful of balancing calcium with vitamin D and something else....I'll look again and see if I can find the quote..... We did cut HRH's back to one tums a day but haven't stopped entirely because it does seem to help curb her obsessive licking to get a tums. So we wonder if she's not licking from some heartburn....but that's just our theory.

[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION]

Found it.

Can I give my dog Tums? Tums (calcium carbonate) are sometimes prescribed by veterinarians as a dietary supplement for dogs. If you are giving your dog a well-balanced diet, they should not require calcium supplementation. Calcium needs to be given in the proper ratio with phosphorus and vitamin D, and too much calcium can cause pancreatitis, a severe illness requiring prompt medical treatment. Tums may also be used by veterinarians to treat digestive upset in dogs. While your dog may have been given Tums in the past by your veterinarian, this medication may not be the appropriate treatment for their current illness.

Last edited:

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
You have to balance everything! There is a calcium ratio that you have to follow but mostly that's for critical care animals. I think you're talking about calcium to phosphorous ratio. Calcium is responsible for phosphorous absorption. If there isn't enough calcium the body will take it from where ever it can (usually the bones).

For a healthy, active pet it balances itself out in the end.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Interesting!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.