Tremors

Trod1

Jul 2, 2012
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
Olive, Oscar
I found this article about Bulldog Tremors very helpful and informative!
*link removed*

Last edited by a moderator:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Bo has done this three times --- and thank goodness for the folks here or I'd have been freaking out big time. I did as I was told; I distracted him with a cookie. The mere mention of the word didn't do it but the eating it did. He's not done it since. Bea's never done that head tremor thing and it looks a lot more scarey than it really is. You were right to be concerned, of course! The tragedy would be if you didn't even notice!

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Dozer seems to have these head tremors more frequant than others. He has had them almost every day, in the morning especially. I distract him as best I can when he does get them, but getting them this frequent isnt normal, is it?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Dozer seems to have these head tremors more frequant than others. He has had them almost every day, in the morning especially. I distract him as best I can when he does get them, but getting them this frequent isnt normal, is it?

That does seem to be too often.... what are you doing to distract him? Small treats?

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
That does seem to be too often.... what are you doing to distract him? Small treats?

Treats, getting him to play or pay attention to something else, make him do tricks, stuff like that. Could this be the onset of a bigger problem? What does it typically mean when bulldogs get these head tremors often like this? It seems like he get them every day, usually in the morning or at night. It's heart breaking :(

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Treats, getting him to play or pay attention to something else, make him do tricks, stuff like that. Could this be the onset of a bigger problem? What does it typically mean when bulldogs get these head tremors often like this? It seems like he get them every day, usually in the morning or at night. It's heart breaking :(

Do the tremors stop as soon as you get him distracted? Would you be able to video one and post it? This way we can see if it is something different?

[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION]

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Do the tremors stop as soon as you get him distracted? Would you be able to video one and post it? This way we can see if it is something different?

[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION]

Yes they stop as soon as I distract him. I'll try to get a video I had one and showed it to the vet he said it was the bulldog head tremors. I am going to go to the vet again this Sunday i was just wondering if this is typically the onset of something major (I hope not) or just tremors.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Hi there!!! :hiya:

You have every right to be scared and concerned. I would be. Vegas was diagnosed with idiopathic epilepsy when he was 10 months old. That was one of the scariest moments of my life. Vegas was foaming at the mouth, defecating with each seizure...and they were in clusters. As soon as one finished...he'd start another. Who knew a little baby would have so much extra poo in him. The drive (at midnight) to the ER was one of the longest in my life. I though Vegas was dying. When they told me he had epilepsy, the next step was to find out if there was a cause. Epilepsy is a diagnosis that is given when nothing else fits. So, after structural tests were performed and blood analysed, he was diagnosed with idiopathic epilepsy. The only test we did not do was an MRI and spinal tap to determine if he had a brain tumor. Our neurologist told us that if it was a brain tumor, he would eventually suffer from more intense seizures and he would lose the ability to control his legs. That was 4 years ago. Last year, Vegas started having head tremors. Because of my involvement with this site...it didn't concern me. Vegas now suffers from 1)idiopathic epilepsy 2)bubblegum fits (facial seizures) and 3)idiopathic head tremors.

How to tell the difference????
That's the hard question. It seems to me that every bulldog is different. Heck..even Vegas is different. One time he will head bob and treats will help him. Another day, just waking him up will bring him out of it. Some days, nothing helps. Vegas is on 3 types of medications to help with his neurological disorder. It will take time to figure out what triggers it and how to help them thru it. We have an Everlasting fun ball that works for Vegas. We fill it with frozen green beans and it sometimes distracts him. Other times it's peanut butter with a kong. Other times we have to sedate him. Sometimes we pick up and move all furniture so he can walk in circles.
Keep in mind, Vegas has epilepsy also. There are so many levels to this condition. We do know that stress and anxiety can trigger it. We know that getting too hot can trigger it. We know that he usually has seizures during sleep cycles. They tend to happen around 3 am. His head tremors usually happen in the early evening. We know that Vegas gets more aggressive during seizure times. Vegas also gets riled up when he has head tremors. They make him mad...and he will swat at his face and try to hold his snout between his paws.
[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] 's Vegas suffered head tremors when his beloved monkey was stolen. [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] 's sweet Maggie Meatball (RIP) started to have tremors at the mention of carrots.

There are many many many different reasons why our sweet bulldogs develop head tremors. Finding out what triggers yours and what you can do to help them will take some time. Get it on video to document. It's so much easier to show what is going on vs trying to explain what happened. And when you figure it out, your experience and videos will help calm the nerves of future EBNers who come to this site with the same questions and concerns.

Good luck!

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Hi there!!! :hiya:

You have every right to be scared and concerned. I would be. Vegas was diagnosed with idiopathic epilepsy when he was 10 months old. That was one of the scariest moments of my life. Vegas was foaming at the mouth, defecating with each seizure...and they were in clusters. As soon as one finished...he'd start another. Who knew a little baby would have so much extra poo in him. The drive (at midnight) to the ER was one of the longest in my life. I though Vegas was dying. When they told me he had epilepsy, the next step was to find out if there was a cause. Epilepsy is a diagnosis that is given when nothing else fits. So, after structural tests were performed and blood analysed, he was diagnosed with idiopathic epilepsy. The only test we did not do was an MRI and spinal tap to determine if he had a brain tumor. Our neurologist told us that if it was a brain tumor, he would eventually suffer from more intense seizures and he would lose the ability to control his legs. That was 4 years ago. Last year, Vegas started having head tremors. Because of my involvement with this site...it didn't concern me. Vegas now suffers from 1)idiopathic epilepsy 2)bubblegum fits (facial seizures) and 3)idiopathic head tremors.

How to tell the difference????
That's the hard question. It seems to me that every bulldog is different. Heck..even Vegas is different. One time he will head bob and treats will help him. Another day, just waking him up will bring him out of it. Some days, nothing helps. Vegas is on 3 types of medications to help with his neurological disorder. It will take time to figure out what triggers it and how to help them thru it. We have an Everlasting fun ball that works for Vegas. We fill it with frozen green beans and it sometimes distracts him. Other times it's peanut butter with a kong. Other times we have to sedate him. Sometimes we pick up and move all furniture so he can walk in circles.
Keep in mind, Vegas has epilepsy also. There are so many levels to this condition. We do know that stress and anxiety can trigger it. We know that getting too hot can trigger it. We know that he usually has seizures during sleep cycles. They tend to happen around 3 am. His head tremors usually happen in the early evening. We know that Vegas gets more aggressive during seizure times. Vegas also gets riled up when he has head tremors. They make him mad...and he will swat at his face and try to hold his snout between his paws.
@KMARINO 's Vegas suffered head tremors when his beloved monkey was stolen. @kazzy220 's sweet Maggie Meatball (RIP) started to have tremors at the mention of carrots.

There are many many many different reasons why our sweet bulldogs develop head tremors. Finding out what triggers yours and what you can do to help them will take some time. Get it on video to document. It's so much easier to show what is going on vs trying to explain what happened. And when you figure it out, your experience and videos will help calm the nerves of future EBNers who come to this site with the same questions and concerns.

Good luck!

Thank you for the reponse. I appreciate your input and feedback given you have much experience with this sort of thing. My only question is since Dozer has head tremors almost every day or every other day, do you think it is the onset of a much bigger overall problem?

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Thank you for the reponse. I appreciate your input and feedback given you have much experience with this sort of thing. My only question is since Dozer has head tremors almost every day or every other day, do you think it is the onset of a much bigger overall problem?

I honestly don't think so. It very well could be low blood sugar. Is there a specific time they are happening? Before bed? 2 hours after eating? Before meals? Since dogs digestive systems work faster than ours...he may just need a little snack during the day to keep it up. He may be getting too much exercise (I'm diabetic and when I get too much, my blood sugar drops and my whole body gets shaky) Try giving him plain yogurt when this happens and see if having a snack makes a difference.

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
I honestly don't think so. It very well could be low blood sugar. Is there a specific time they are happening? Before bed? 2 hours after eating? Before meals? Since dogs digestive systems work faster than ours...he may just need a little snack during the day to keep it up. He may be getting too much exercise (I'm diabetic and when I get too much, my blood sugar drops and my whole body gets shaky) Try giving him plain yogurt when this happens and see if having a snack makes a difference.

It almost always happens as soon as he wakes up or right before he goes to sleep. It has not happened in a few days so I am hoping it wont be rearing its ugly head again any time soon.

We have made an appointment with a neurologist just for good measure. My vet saw the video I made of it happening and it said it def looks like idiopathic head tremors found in bulldogs. We will see what the neurologist has to say.

Thanks so much

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Well...please keep us posted.

~Disclaimer~
Sent from my Droid RAZR using Tapatalk. I'm probably crouched down in a corner at work trying to send this post via dictation software. I shall not be held responsible for any misspellings, incorrect punctuation, and most importantly ..... incorrect translations!!

Members online

No members online now.