First time leaving max alone for the day

ham3381

Jul 7, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
So Today I have to leave Maximus, at home while i have to go to work. Ive been bringing him to work for the past month, but i cant no longer. HE is now one week shy of four months. MY question is how long should a bully be locked in a cage without a bathroom break. I left him in the cage at 7:45 a.m. MY wife wont get home till 5:45 or 6pm? IS this too long for him to be holding it in? Although he's still training I know he wont make it that long but I have no choice. I also had been feeding him 3 times a day about 3/4 cups each serving. This weekend I started him on a full cup a serving knowing he was gonna start missing lunch. NEED SOME INPUT HELP with proper servings. I Want max to be ok while im gone :(

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I think the general rule is an hour for every month old +1..when Winston was 4 months old he could only hold it for about 4-4.5 hours depending on how much water he drank throughout the day...good luck! I know how hard it is to leave them everyday :nope: luckily my husband only works 5 minutes from our house so he is able to go home at lunch time to let Winston outside, he is over a year old now but he still goes home becuase Winston loves seeing him!

OP
ham3381

ham3381

Jul 7, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
4 -4.5 hours oh man thats not good news.. Im not sure what to do. Does anyone leave there pup caged while at work for at least 8 hours??

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
We have ours caged because my wife and I both work long hours. What we ended up doing was installing a doggy door in the wall downstairs in the house so Bacon has a pen inside where he can stay in the AC all day. But on the outside of the house we bought a 4x8 kennel from costco and put down matting in it so he can go in and out during the day as he pleases. We also don't need to worry about him running off because he is fenced in with kennel's on both sides of the doggie door. I also setup webcams inside and outside so both of us can see what he is doing during the day.

OP
ham3381

ham3381

Jul 7, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I live in an apartment unfortunately and dont have the ability to leave him outside, but I wouldnt leave him outside anyways cause I live in MIAMI and he would drop dead from the heat.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I know there are other members here that leave their pups in their kennels for that long, hopefully they can help. I was lucky enough to work within 5 minutes from home when Samson was a baby and still needed to be kenneled so I came home at lunch and walked him everyday.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I can leave my bullies for 8 hours plus a day but they are full grown. As a puppy, his bladder and bowels are not big enough to hold it that long yet so, if you leave him for that long, expect to come home to a mess. Unfortunately, it's just the way it goes.

I wouldn't expect him to hold it for 8+ hours until he's at 10-12 months.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
With the food, I would start feeding him once in the morning and once when you get home at night. I stopped feeding my babies 3 times a day when they were about 4 months and when I got tired of them pooping 11 times a day. :) Feeding twice a day will also help you get his potty time on a more predictable schedule.

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
We have a crate attached to an X pen inside the house for Tonka so he was some room to play with his toys and for his water. We have a mat under that for any accidents or water spillage. I had a fake grass pee pad from petsmart that he took to immediately in there for when we were at work and he used that great until about 4.5 months when he decided on his own that he could hold it all day ( from 815am to about 545pm)! I left the pad in there until he was a little over 5 months and he never used it so now it's gone and no accidents!
As for the midday food thing. I feed at 7am and as soon as I get home from work between 530 and 6 full meals. We have a kong genius toy that I put some kibbles in so he can roll it around and get some food when he wants. You could also look into a timed feeder that opens when you set it to do so! Good luck with your baby! I know leaving them is hard :(

PeterPanAndWendy

Jul 27, 2011
Lindsey, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pan Cake
You may also consider a doggie daycare (if funds are available). Its a great way to keep them socialized and reduce your stress level.

When Pan was little he was able to go to work with us, but we've both switched jobs since then. But before we got the okay we thought about it.

I only go to campus two days a week and am able to work from home the remaining days. So we have been pretty lucky in those aspects!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.