Feeling sad :(

Taylor

Jul 10, 2012
Pittsburgh
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Charlotte Elizabeth
I know it's not my fault and I'm doing the best to give Charlotte a loving home, but it breaks my heart when I see glimpses of her past.

Last night she had a little too many rich treats, and sometime around 4am Char threw up. I didn't want to leave it on the floor until morning, so I went to go get cleaning supplies, and as soon as I got out of bed she ran into the living room and was cowering in the corner. It breaks my heart to think someone yelled at (or worse, hit) her because she had a tummy ache.

My heart broke and I cuddled her and rubbed her belly until she fell asleep, but I can't get this out of my mind, how horrible some people can be to their pets. I know shes definitely better off and has a life some dogs will never have, but it still makes me so sad :cry:

thanks for letting me vent,
Tay

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Patience Dear.. patience!!! HRH came to us very unsocialized. She has ruled here for 2 years now and is still chicken :poo: We still see improvements all the time,,, like for example she never barked , never. Now she will let us know that the doorbell rang (like we couldnt hear it) lol Little things mean a lot and they will come with Char too. You're doing a great job... it all just takes time.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Oh I know this also with my Boston duke. I believe at some point he wad abused because if I get the broom out he is terrified of it. He also trembles when yelled at and has bitten me when I tried to show dominance. He used to look at me when I'm trouble like are you going to get rid of me to. Well he no longer does that and he is,much more confident and calm. Do I still see glimpses of his past sure but not as bad and he is very happy now. So it takes time but you and she will heal

goobers mom

Mar 5, 2011
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Goober, (R.I.P), Carlie(R.I.P.) , Chaps, Glory B, Blis, Kimber, April, and Brenna (RIP) Wendi, Joy,
Bless you for opening your heart to this baby girl and being patient with her fears and needs you are her angel.

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
First of all, Char is one lucky baby to have found you and that should fill your heart with joy and while it is heartbreaking to see those glimpses of her past life, you know that is no more and so does she :yes: We met three bullies this weekend who need to be adopted and I am in the process of looking for the "right one" for all concerned. My husband is not so sure. He claims that that Dublin will be happiest just the way things are and doesn't need another dog in the house. All I could think of was "Poor babies, their lives must have been hell" I think his real fear is the unknown. Not knowing what we will be facing down the road. I understand him, but if all of us felt like that these amazing animals would have no future at all. I am working on him :sense: but are already there:2thumbs:

OP
Taylor

Taylor

Jul 10, 2012
Pittsburgh
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Charlotte Elizabeth
thanks everyone for your kind words and support. Just can't wait to go home from work and snuggle my girl xx

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
[MENTION=5363]Taylor[/MENTION]...I know...it happened to me with Mr Brutie just a week ago, he was not
wanting to go outside-he'd been crated for hours on end and hates outside, didn't
know how to play w/toys or me-I knew he needed to 'go' and w/out thinking I put
my hands behind his legs to help move him. Instantly he went stiff, lowered his body
and lifted his leg & shoulder up toward me in submission and grimaced, waiting for the
beating. OMG...it broke me instantly and I dropped my hands, backed away, sat beside
and made soft, crooning sounds. Mr Brutie put his head in my lap (probably to comfort
me as I was sobbing) and we just cuddled on the floor awhile.

Like you, that horrible grimace he made haunted me but I vowed, come hell or high water,
this will be his LAST home and his last years will be happy ones! I'm the 4th owner that I
know of and I was told he's 3 y/o but I'm betting more like 6 y/o, judging from his teeth.

He's been here a month, he's happily romping and wrestling w/me, he's mouthing on a couple
of my personal stuffed animals (sacrificed for a great cause) chews on a special bone (not the
others) and I think we've hit on a good food that's stopping his scratching holes in himself.

Like you & Charlotte...it's all going to get better & better...bless you for opening your heart & home
to her, what a lucky & beautiful bully she is...y'all look like you belong together!
:heart:

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
It's so sad to think of their lives before we had them. Luckily Gio was in an amazing home with people who lived him but they had to move and could not take him. But Diva was another story, she was with breeders who didn't want her after she was only able to have one liter. She was so underweight that her ribs stuck out, and the vet said her teeth were grinded down most likely due to being in a cage all day and chewing on the wires! It just makes me happy to think of how lucky we are to have her and watch her become more comfortable and less timid as days go by! Charlotte is so lucky to have you!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
That is very sad. But after my initial disgust at whoever may have hurt her, my heart swelled from your reaction and the fact that she is in a loving home and will not need to fear any longer. Keep up what you are doing. With time, it will improve and she will learn to trust and know that she safe and loved!

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
Well, from everything I've read, dogs live mostly "in the moment" and it sounds like your girl's life is filled with as many safe, happy moments as you can create and then some. I know someday I will do the same for a bully-in-need!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Awwww bless your heart and Charlotte's. How sad it has to be to see parts of her past that gives you a glimpse of the life she HAD! Like Lari said, Patience! The fact that you cuddled her and she fell asleep in your arms should tell you what a great job you are doing. :luv:

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
I know it must be hard. I can't even imagine hitting any of my bullies. Mostly I'm kissing, petting and rubbing bellies. They are as coddled as can be and it hurts to think there are bullies out there that don't get the kind of love they deserve. You keep on doing what you're doing. I love that you rubbed her belly till she fell asleep. She's where she's suppose to be now, with you.:heart:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It is heart wrenching to know what some 'humans' do to their pets....... Charlotte will come around in time, just continue to love her and let her know she is safe; she will be a new girl loving her new life and all that bad stuff is behind her.

Thank you for saving her

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.