Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When is the government going to do something?

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default When is the government going to do something?

I just read a very very very long posting by a breeder who bought from a broker. Surprise- the dog died. Then the second (replacement) died.

My question is, why or WHY does our government even ALLOW importing of litters? WHY?????

WHY????

This NEEDS to stop!!! They are shipping these puppies when they are WAY too young, and you KNOW these puppies are not ready for this kind of a journey. Their immune systems are comprimised, if not their genetics. And we ALLOW these criminals to order puppies from puppy mills in other countries and have them shipped here. I just disgusts me!!! What can we do? We have to do something. Make a petition. Rally. Have a convention in Las Vegas to STOP PUPPY MILLS AND THE IMPORTERS WHO SUPPORT THEM!!!!

Sorry. Had to vent.

/rant

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: When is the government going to do something?

Vent away, I feel the same way. Unfortunately the language I want to use would not be appropriate here so I'll leave it at that.

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

two paws up! We agree! Lets do something!!!

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
    Likes (Received)

No go right ahead and vent all you want. Where would we start? PETA? AKC? We have to find out and stop it. I am with ya on this one.

Always with me

Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

We should start a list of known importers that are on public record. I bet there is one somewhere.

Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I am starting to think AKC does not do enough to ensure the puppies they paper are legit. They need to demand DNA testing of each litter and charge more for papers. Simple as that. But they wont.

Too many know how to get through AKC loopholes. Do you know how easy it was for me to register my one litter? I don't want to give details and give anyone ideas, but it took 5 minutes. Done.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

This is so tough. There will always be people that see animals as property. What else can we do but educate the public interested in bullys? People that want illegal drugs still get them from foreign countries, people still come here illegaly, etc. I don't think geovernment legislation is going to end this, public awareness will. But I agree about AKC. People find AKC very reputable, so they need to raise their standards.

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

I think whenever something living is looked at like a commodity, the tendency to not worry about the emotional element of the situation is marginalized. The government's interest in regulating what dogs are imported is to protect the US population from disease but not to protect the puppies or the consumers who invest their money, time, and love into them. I'm not sure what can be done? I know that Hawaii has more strict regulations for shipping animals and perhaps if the US adopted a similar policy, it would deter these criminals from shipping puppies. In a similar vein, it baffles me how airline travel for dogs has gone so unregulated for so long, especially when thousands of dogs die each year on airplanes. The government doesn't seem to care about the health of our pets but since pet care is a billion dollar industry, one would imagine pet owners could gather enough steam to make changes.

It's a difficult situation but if you think a convention in Vegas would help, I'm in!

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I agree with you tessa, but at least if they get caught they go to jail. Nothing happens to the importers. Plus if it more difficult to get litters shipped, and they aren't making all that money, then it would surely make their business a lot more of a headache to do.

I am not saying getting a puppy from another country should be outlawed, but purchasing whole litters should be!

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gertie & Ida
    Likes (Received)

I think the people purchasing the puppies need to be educated. If no one went to these importers for their puppies anymore, seems to me they'd quit importing. Of course that's probably asking the impossible, I know. I just can't figure out why people get from puppy mills and importers. Aren't there litters available in their area? If I couldn't go see a litter, the parents, where these puppies have been raised, and in what conditions, I wouldn't have a puppy. Not the answer, just my 2 cents.

There is nothing nicer than two sweet Bully girls, unless it's THREE sweet Bully girls!!
    Julie, Gertie, Ida & Clementine in Az.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Sadie
    Likes (Received)

I really agree. But my views on puppies are a bit different.

I think that anyone breeding unregistered dogs without a usda breeders license should be fined heavily for the birth, and per pup. Facing heavy fines would encourage more people to spay and neuter their pets.

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gertie's Mom View Post
    I think the people purchasing the puppies need to be educated. If no one went to these importers for their puppies anymore, seems to me they'd quit importing. Of course that's probably asking the impossible, I know. I just can't figure out why people get from puppy mills and importers. Aren't there litters available in their area? If I couldn't go see a litter, the parents, where these puppies have been raised, and in what conditions, I wouldn't have a puppy. Not the answer, just my 2 cents.
    I do agree with this ... I think that the people who buy from these importers don't really understand what is happening. They just see it as a cheap way of getting an english bulldog. I would never get a puppy unless I could go visit the breeder and check that the mother is part of the family and not part of a puppy mill. In other words I'd do my research .... if everybody did that and knew what they should be checking then a lot of these importers would find their business going elsewhere to more reputable breeders! Just my thoughts ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads