Digestion question: The Burp

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
Hi folks: I have concerns about Lupeā€™s digestion. She eats RC Uniary S/0 Ā¾ cup 2x daily (I know itā€™s awful, but it keeps crystals under control AND no allergies, tear stains etc.) I add frozen ā€œpumpkin popsā€ that I make with chicken stock and Missing Link powder, plus one glucosomine tab. She has never avoided food, missed a meal nor vomitedā€”in all four years. She's 50lbs.

My concern: This girl can belch :D louder than a frat boy. Itā€™s right after a meal or a drink of water. Sheā€™ll sit down, look off in the distance and thenā€¦BaWOOOOOOORP!!!!. Then she promptly smacks her lips a few times and goes to sleep. Sometimes thereā€™s a food stink but not always.

Also: at least once a day she holds her head up and ā€œair licksā€ which results in a glump of foam on her bottom lip. It seems behavioral; if I say ā€œstop itā€ sheā€™ll stop. Because this happens 90% of the time after dinner, Iā€™m worried it might be acid reflux or ....? Is there any harm in adding Pecid or something just for safe keeping?

Thoughts? Iā€™ll bribe you with a few pics :heart:

"guarding" me in bed after my spine surgery...

photo.jpg

reflecting on a bird in the distance....
88580001.jpg

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
Sorry I'm no help on this subject, but those pictures are just too cute to not comment on!!

wouldtick

Jul 22, 2012
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Barley's Rainbow Cupcake
Our 9 week old pup went camping with us. Had him in his travel kennel by the bed. twice he belched so loud is scared the crap out of my wife and I. Made me laugh both times. He guzzles so much air when he eats and drinks that the belching has to be good for him :)

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I dont have much advice on this...Brutus here and there sometimes will burp if he drinks his water too quick...Others will be by with more advice

I tagged some peeps for you to see if they can help (im sure they can) :)
Also those pictures were too cute....She is really a pretty girl :)

[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION]

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well im no expert but when i looked up belching it seemed to be a normal thing and nothing to be worried about but the air licking it said could be a sign of gastro upset or other things maybe causing it. i give my dogs pepcid when they have an upset tummy vet said it was ok. id keep an eye on the air licking and see if it gets to be more often or for long periods or if the pepcid takes care of it if you use it. keep us updated and maybe someone will come along who knows about this from experience.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My girl burps here and there too.... Pecid is not an issue. My boy always had upset stomachs (so sensitve) and we gave him a Pepcid mins before each meal. You can give 10 mg pill and it should help.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Good advice here! I have had a few right in my face. GAROSS! Yeah, my vet also said 10mg pepcid up to 2x's a day is ok as well.

OP
SunDog

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
Thanks guys! Pepcid seems like a safe bet. Just to see. And as I'm reading, I realize it may be the classic "breathing-while-eating" thing. I'm so terrified of bloat, it would at least help ME to get Lu to try a slow-feeding apparatus. I actually keep a little diary of her stuff, so i will post any significant findings! Thanks again.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Thanks guys! Pepcid seems like a safe bet. Just to see. And as I'm reading, I realize it may be the classic "breathing-while-eating" thing. I'm so terrified of bloat, it would at least help ME to get Lu to try a slow-feeding apparatus. I actually keep a little diary of her stuff, so i will post any significant findings! Thanks again.

The burps wouldn't bother me but I would wonder what was going on with the airlicking and foamy stuff. Mine lick the air when I scratch their backs so I know it isn't a digestive problem.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
That's a bully for ya. Just some belch more than others, just depends in how much air they ingest when they eat or drink. As far as the air licking as others have said could be acid-reflux or just a habit. Try the pepcid and see if it helps.

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
well im no expert but when i looked up belching it seemed to be a normal thing and nothing to be worried about but the air licking it said could be a sign of gastro upset or other things maybe causing it. i give my dogs pepcid when they have an upset tummy vet said it was ok. id keep an eye on the air licking and see if it gets to be more often or for long periods or if the pepcid takes care of it if you use it. keep us updated and maybe someone will come along who knows about this from experience.

Yes, the air licking is a sign of Gastro upset. Got the okay from my vet for Pepcid. My vet highly recommended a probiotic that he takes himself. It is called Primal Defense made by Garden of Life. He is very big into doing what you can the "natural" way. Dublin has lots of gastro issues. I have the capsules and I break it open and shake half on her food in the morning and the other half in the evening. I really think it has helped her a great deal and I rarely use the pepcid. i also take Primal Defense myself. The only downside is it is pretty expensive. You can also get it in caplet form.

Most Reactions