Puppy Pimples Allergic Reaction Insect Bites Please HELP!!!

njgautier

Aug 4, 2012
Los Angeles
Bulldog(s) Names
harley & moe
I have an 11 week old english bulldog puppy current on all his vaccines and about two weeks ago he broke out in some weird hives or pimples we didn't know if it was allergic reaction or insect bites after going outside we took him to the vet and they said it was puppy pimples the vet prescribed cephalex antibiotic and gave the puppy a benadryl injection the bumps cleared up for a few days but now they are back they are red and really lumpy on the puppy's head and back now on his chest the ones on his back ooze blood if you squeeze them they don't seem to hurt him but i am confused as to what they are.
photo copy 4.jpg photo copy 6.jpgphoto copy 5.jpg

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Gosh, they are hard to see.

The first question is always this: what you feeding him? Could it be a reaction to food?

Others will be a long with far more wisdom than I!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Hmmmm...I have never heard of puppy pimples being anywhere other than their chin or face. Not sure what they are though. If they cleared up with Benidryl, then probably some sort of allergic reaction. To what, who knows! I would consider simple things first such as what do you wash his bedding with or clean the floors or dust the house with? Do you have wool or sythetic carpeting, etc.

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
Looks like puppy demodex. Tallulah had something similar on her left shoulder and down her leg and vet said itis common in growing puppies. It is a mite, not contagious and most dogs and humans carry it - we get it from our parents. It will run its course. Nothing to do for it. However if it gets really bad and spreads a lot there are a weekly series of injections that can be done. But it is seldom done as it will go away on its own. If it is itchy you can put lotion on it. Not sure if that is what you have but it looks like what Tallulah had and I thought at first they were bug bites. If hair is starting to drop off of the lumps that is a symptom. I would still confirm with you're vet to be on the safe side. They will take a little scraping and can tell you right away.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
sure not puppy pimples or acne..... I'd get to another vet for a second opinion as someone said... it could be the start of mange

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
THe 2 pictures look to be different dogs :lol: Do both of your dogs have this???

I would get a second opinion at a different vet who is familiar with bulldogs...as[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] said it could be the start of mange. It could be allergic reaction to something he ate or came in contact with but I would get a vet to check it out....
Ill tag some peeps who can give some advice on this

[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Looks like puppy demodex. Tallulah had something similar on her left shoulder and down her leg and vet said itis common in growing puppies. It is a mite, not contagious and most dogs and humans carry it - we get it from our parents. It will run its course. Nothing to do for it. However if it gets really bad and spreads a lot there are a weekly series of injections that can be done. But it is seldom done as it will go away on its own. If it is itchy you can put lotion on it. Not sure if that is what you have but it looks like what Tallulah had and I thought at first they were bug bites. If hair is starting to drop off of the lumps that is a symptom. I would still confirm with you're vet to be on the safe side. They will take a little scraping and can tell you right away.

Yeah I see it better on the white dog. I wouldn't be popping the pimples though. I mean it's just me, but an open or break in the skin can lead to worse infections. I have to agree with [MENTION=4570]Tooleysmom[/MENTION] I think a scraping is in order. Please keep us posted. I am curious to see if it is that. Thank you

OP
N

njgautier

Aug 4, 2012
Los Angeles
Bulldog(s) Names
harley & moe
I found a picture of another dog with the exact same thing to give a better idea of what it is. My puppy is definitely losing hair around the bumpy area. We've given him benadryl and have taken him to the vet we've tried antibiotics different food but the bumps are still there. I'm going to take him tomorrow to another vet for an examination. I'm currently feeding him natural choice puppy.

Cocosmammy123

Apr 11, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco
Will you let me no of any update please coco has the same spots of not worse but they just said they were insect bites thanks and good luck at the vets :) x

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
In the one pic it looks like hives, but hard to tell, benedryl would clear that up though, I curious as to what the other vet has to say.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
yes another vet visit is in order id say. im curious as to what they will say.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I would ASK for a scraping to check for demodex mange. Just to rule it out. If it is, there is a great post about it here. Keep us posted and if it is mange, I will send you the link.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I agree with getting a skin scraping as well to rule out mange. Please keep us posted as to what the new vet says.

OP
N

njgautier

Aug 4, 2012
Los Angeles
Bulldog(s) Names
harley & moe
Just got back in from the vet and after three scrapings they found no mites or fungus the vet says our puppy has a bacteria growth on his skin he was prescribed antibiotics a special shampoo and a microbial spray. We'll see if his skin condition improves at all we used cephalexin 2 weeks ago and the bumps didn't clear up so we'll see what happens after this course of antibiotic spray and shampoo..

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.