Toy Recommendations for Bulldogs

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Like most bully mom's I love buying my doggies fun toys - that usually never last more than 10 minutes. I had been really good about not buying expensive toys that would be destroyed and started buying garage sale stuffed animals and things I thought would last.

I had a moment of weakness this afternoon and got the boys a couple new toys, one of which was a squeaky bone that looks like this after about 5 minutes with Linus:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Can anyone recommend any durable toys for bullies? We use those strong Nylabones and Kongs but I am looking for a little variety - so many something other than bones, something that squeaks that will last longer than 10 minutes to suit dogs that have made short work of Jolly Balls meant for horses?

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I have spent a small fortune trying to find toys that Samson couldn't destroy for like you said, he can have some variety. The only toys he can't destroy instantly and that I can trust to leave him alone with (not having to fear he'll choke on toy pieces) is the nylabone durable souper size, extreme kong XL and the flossy chews rope toy colossal size. I have tried those "virtually indestructible" toys with the bulldog on the front, he had it in crumbles in hours. Tried those Tuffy toys, grade 10, he destroyed it again very quickly. Oh and we've tried so many more! He has an amazingly strong mouth! I would also be interested in recommendations, I feel bad that he only has a few different kind of toys to play with.

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I have spent a small fortune trying to find toys that Samson couldn't destroy for like you said, he can have some variety. The only toys he can't destroy instantly and that I can trust to leave him alone with (not having to fear he'll choke on toy pieces) is the nylabone durable souper size, extreme kong XL and the flossy chews rope toy colossal size. I have tried those "virtually indestructible" toys with the bulldog on the front, he had it in crumbles in hours. Tried those Tuffy toys, grade 10, he destroyed it again very quickly. Oh and we've tried so many more! He has an amazingly strong mouth! I would also be interested in recommendations, I feel bad that he only has a few different kind of toys to play with.

Thank you for responding with this, I was SO close to trying one of those Tuffy toys but I didn't...and now I won't.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Buy at Petsmart! You can return it if it gets destroyed! Vegas is a master destroyer also. We just found this....http://www.planetdog.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=ORBEE BONES
It only has 3 out of 5 chompers...but both Vegas and Orion love them. So far, they've not destroyed them. They are funny to watch. When they get wet with saliva, they slip out of the mouth and they sometime make funny noises. They bounce as well. They also come with a guarentee...they will replace them if they are destroyed. Kong is the ultimate toy for our house, but they don't ever have new products. The cuz balls last awhile, but all of ours are in "timeout". Heck, all of thier toys are currently in time out. Rope toys work to keep O occupied, but Vegas gets bored. They have to be plain rope toys...any tennis balls are instantly destroyed. They airkong....not a good toy. Under 5 minutes just like Linus. Same with the Wubba Kong. I think it has a tennis ball wrapped in neoprene. The neoprene holds up, but the balls on the inside collapse with a little pressure. Watching Vegas destroy these toys....makes me feel lucky my finger survived the bulldog chew attack.

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Hold please.......video upload in progress....

All right, so I pulled the toys out of time out for a quick demo. Here is Vegas chewing on his. Right after I shot this video, Vegas sat up to scratch his ear. Orion took the opportunity to snag the green one. Apparently the green one is better than the pink one. Before he was done scratching..I placed the pink one where he has left the green one. He looked at me funny. After all, the green one was all lubed up. He went to work on the pink one and Orion was looking to steal hers back. I threw the green one for her to chase...which caught Vegas's eye. He jumped down from his perch and they started fighting over the toy. Even though there was another in front of them. So, they are both in time out again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdH2iNVEFy8

Oh, I sometimes put 1/2 a thing of string cheese down the middle. It keeps them busy for awhile.

Last edited:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Never knew you could return toys! I know I have gone thru many in the years. I would list the few that we love but I dont know the names of them. lol. The cuz holds up very well but it has a loud squeek that doesnt seem to break. lol The rope toys dont do well for us cuz Cutty shreds the rope up so fast and eats it, then we are left having to help get it out the other end. Not good. I think there was a discussion on this a looonng time ago actually, let me look. Here it is....
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/showthread.php?548-Toys&highlight=toys

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
The only thing Bella chews on by herself are real bones. Otherwise we would have to throw or pull with her in order for her interest. We did find an animal in which you can stuff a water bottle in and she loves it, again we have to play with her. Abby and Sophie on the other hand destroy everything. Abby will suckle on stuffed animals to go to sleep, sometimes biting off parts such as eyes, noses etc...At times she has swallowed them!! Sophie just finds the hole and pulls out stuffing, then she is done. We can't have rubber squeaky toys at the house because of Abby's allergies.

Growing up, our dog Richard destroyed everthing, so my mom purchased from Garage sales and thrift stores. The squeakers would only last about 5 mins than a body part was chewed off and it didn't work. At one point she paid 25 cents for a large rubber duck, just to find it at an antique show for $30, too late. lol

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Maggie loves the green nylabone with the white ends. Although after a lot of chewing we do find that the white ends of the bone get quite sharp and she has cut her tongue on it on more than one occasion!!

Kongs are played with by EVERY other dog in the house except Maggie who really doesn't care for them at all.

On Friday I did get her one of those plush toys without stuffing. She's got the rabbit and there's a squeaker in the head and in the tail that drives her and all the other dogs crazy!! So far that hasn't been ripped up but she does run around shaking it about ... funny to watch! Then she'll lie on top of it and suck one of it's ears or a foot!

[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] I love the video of orion with the Orbee bone ... our Pet Smart doesn't seem to stock it so I'll have to go on a hunt for one!

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Wow Libra looks like Vegas has a pretty strong bite/jaw too. That might actually survive Samson! I'll have to pick one up, thanks! Oh and I also didn't know petsmart would give you your money back!

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
Glad we are not the only one with this issue. Chester loves the stuffed toys, but he rips them within one day .. even the ones that advertise they are the most durable. I may have to try the "stuffless" ones, as he really doesn't like the rubber toys as much. And yup, it's the "tug on one end" game in our house too. And if you don't grab an end and ignore him - hell bark at you and plop it in your lap, if you STILL won't play with him, he'll drag out all of his toys one by one and plop them on you - hoping you'll pick your favorite and play with him!
'

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I just saw at Carolina Pantry that they have a new toy. It is a Jolly egg shaped and designed to slip out of the bully's mouth so they would have to run after it. It actually looks like a hard rubber like a kong. I went ahead and ordered one. I will let you know how it works.

Jolly_Egg_dog_ball_shaped_1.jpg

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Oh that looks cool...thanks for the options, I might have to order some of these toys.

Also, just curious about the details of the return policy at Petsmart? Maybe [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] could give us some details? I can't find any online so I am wondering what the terms of the return are for reference.

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
http://help.petsmart.com/no-hassle-return-policy/#other

This states that you have to return the product with original packaging. When we return a product, it's usually within a few days. I never buy the flimsy toys, alway the "undestructible" "for heavy chewers" type of toys. So, with receipt in hand and cute bulldog on leash...I walk into the store and show them my receipt, show them the packaging ( I learned to never throw away the packaging) and let them know how long it took them to destroy it. Usually I just want to exchange for another toy, but I have been given my money back. One time I bought some toys for xmas at a different store,,,when I went to return it, the store had closed. Did you know that petsmart returns toys from any other store? Yep. Although I paid more for the toy than what Petsmart sells it for, they only gave me what they sell it for. I was happy about that...I would have had to keep it otherwise. Another time I went over the 30 day time at the local pet store and they refused to return my product, so I took it to petsmart and got credit for their store. I love them. They are great with Vegas (he will sit right next to the cashiers feet,under the register while they work.) He often scores several treats while sitting there.

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
http://help.petsmart.com/no-hassle-return-policy/#other

This states that you have to return the product with original packaging. When we return a product, it's usually within a few days. I never buy the flimsy toys, alway the "undestructible" "for heavy chewers" type of toys. So, with receipt in hand and cute bulldog on leash...I walk into the store and show them my receipt, show them the packaging ( I learned to never throw away the packaging) and let them know how long it took them to destroy it. Usually I just want to exchange for another toy, but I have been given my money back. One time I bought some toys for xmas at a different store,,,when I went to return it, the store had closed. Did you know that petsmart returns toys from any other store? Yep. Although I paid more for the toy than what Petsmart sells it for, they only gave me what they sell it for. I was happy about that...I would have had to keep it otherwise. Another time I went over the 30 day time at the local pet store and they refused to return my product, so I took it to petsmart and got credit for their store. I love them. They are great with Vegas (he will sit right next to the cashiers feet,under the register while they work.) He often scores several treats while sitting there.

Oh wow, thanks! Great info! I wish I returned that damn Jolly Ball!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online