I need help!

Am3gross

May 20, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Hemi
With potty training.... My girl hemi.... She is good to go... My boy Cuda.... He is another story and I don't know what else to do... He barely has enough room to turn around in his crate but he still goes in it.. Now I know he is just a puppy, 13 weeks or so...thru out the night he is mostly good.... Wife lets him out around 730 in the morning the I get home around 3 and there is pee in there... But that is not the only problem, I will let him out side when I get homeland he goes out and does his business, then he will come in and do more of his business in the house.... I have tried letting him out every half our, went as far as setting the alarm on the stove... He is just not getting it... Any thing I can try here to help him out?

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
It takes a good while. You may want to watch him like a hawk or tether him to you while he is up and loose. When they are that young, it seems as though they have to go every twenty minutes. If you put him on a feeding schedule as he gets a bit older you can estimate the poop a bit more. The peeing that is a whole other ball of wax.

Also not sure if you have hardwood or carpets but the way you clean up goes a long way. Use either some nature's miracle or a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water. They can smell the tiniest bit of whatever and will continue to go there.

It really takes time and patience. Raven is now 9 months and she still has accidents. Good luck and god speed.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Exactly what she said ^^^ tether him..if you see him start to go..correct him and take him out. It won't take long..also..I'm thinking he's a bit young to go 8 hours..so that's understandable. But the going in the house..:nope:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Are you rewarding him when he goes outside ? Treats..lots of pets and 'good boy'

csandvik

Jul 3, 2012
Woodbridge, VA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fiona
Great advice above. It just takes time and all bullies are different. It took our baby a while to potty train. Just make sure you have patience and only reprimand him when you catch him in the act. And by reprimand I don't mean yell at him, just a firm "No" and lots of praise whn he does it outside.

Good luck

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
First, try to let him out earlier so that you can take him again about 30 minutes after breakfast :). Food/water in, poop/pee out lol. Second, advice above is great!

OP
A

Am3gross

May 20, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Hemi
About he crate, I'm not mad... It is understandable...

I started tethering him to me tonight, where ever I went he went.. Even went to the car dealership with me! He gets rewarded when he goes outside, I try not to yell when he starts to go in the house, but some times it's a knee jerk reaction... I think I have given him a bit to much of the freedom thing and I think maybe a week or two of being by my side will be the answer...

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
One thing that is overlooked, if he is making a mess in his kennel, then he has it on him, so he smells his own mess on himself so it 'follows' him around - *sniff* this smells like where I pottied before...(not realizing the smell is HIM) make sure you give him a bath after his accidents in his kennel.

I read a book called 'How to housebreak your dog in 7 days' by Shirless Kalstone 7 days..yea right ! I'm at about 7 WEEKS and he still isnt broken... however... SCHEDULE SCHEDULE SCHEDULE is what she repeats over and over - some will disagree with me on this board, but I limit water to the pup - No water 60 minutes before bed. Water with food, if he drinks ANY water (like after playing), he goes outside within 15 minutes until he potties. I am not saying NOT to give your puppy water (not at all) just be aware of when you give it to him, and when he drinks, because what goes IN, WILL have to come out :) :) :) :)

Hershey will be 19 weeks saturday...and he still doesnt always grasp the concept. When I take him out, and to his spot, he knows he is to potty. it might only be a dribble but he will go. Then he's in the house... and I'll catch him... and I'm like DOH ! ya were JUST outside !

Finally... there is a formula, I think its every month of age + 1 is how long a pup should be able to hold it. 12 weeks = 3 months... + 1 = 4 hours MAX

You might need to go with a BIGGER Kennel, or an Xpen with a Pee Pad, in it, if he is going to be kenneled up longer than 3-4 hours right now.

Good luck... keep trying... patience patience patience ! ! ! ! Ohhh the Puppy years !

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online