Deer Antler chew concern!

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
Hi, i just picked up a deer antler chew at a well knows pet supply store in our area. She absolutely went crazy for it but I noticed that that she was able to chew small pieces off pretty easily. I took it away from her :pouting: until I heard from you guys if that is something that should happen or is this Antler not "good" and should be returned. I dont' have any experience with them but this doesnt' seem look rigth to me.:help1:

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
We use split XL elk antlers and Tonka has never gotten any piece off of it other than the stuff In the middle that he's after. Maybe deer are softer?

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Deer are softer. I haven't seen actual pieces come off of any of ours, but they do get wittled down slowly. Almost like it is being ground.

LucyLou

Jul 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Lucy has been whittling down the end of hers but I've seen no pieces coming off of it.

OP
Dubbiedog

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
Lucy has been whittling down the end of hers but I've seen no pieces coming off of it.

I knew I could count on you guys. Only brand new and I have picked up at least 8 pieces some sharp so I didnt' like what I saw and took it away from her. I expected to see what you guys just talked about and that is not the case with the one I have and it was not cheap by any means. It must be so dried out or something????

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
We also have only used elk, but only because that is the only option I've seen at the store.
Rook once "broke" a piece off because he had started in on a spot just above the end, so he ended up whittling off a small piece that I was able to grab while kept on chewing.
I've yet to see pieces fall off easily like you describe. Something isn't right there.

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Raven has several littered around and I havent seen any chunks fall off. She gets into the marrow but otherwise the outside seems to wear down very slowly, never saw a chunk fall off.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It is probably not a REAL antler. I got some for the bullies for Christmas online-- thought they were a steal for $6 each since I paid like $20 or so from Carolina pet pantry. Well, gave them out and they were all gone in an hour!! :eek:

I then looked at the package to find they were not REAL antlers, just made to look like them. Hrmph.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

OP
Dubbiedog

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
It is probably not a REAL antler. I got some for the bullies for Christmas online-- thought they were a steal for $6 each since I paid like $20 or so from Carolina pet pantry. Well, gave them out and they were all gone in an hour!! :eek:

I then looked at the package to find they were not REAL antlers, just made to look like them. Hrmph.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Definitely a real one and cost a lot. I just looked at again after I washed it and it is cracked in lots of different places down one side. They are a great place so I know they will take it back tomorrow no problem. I know they do have Elk and maybe I will give that a try. Thanks guys, so glad I took it away from her..

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas has two antlers, one of them is about a year and a half old, no chunks missing out of either one of them. I agree with desertskybulldogs, perhaps it is not the real thing?????

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
I don't see "chunks" come off of the ones we have gotten but I do see little splintery pieces/shavings come off. They aren't big enough to choke on or anything though, just little pieces/shards, some bigger than others. I never viewed them as dangerous though. Also, when one of Tonka's got down to be just a little chun left he swallowed it. They can just eat them like that right? I know they are real antelers too. I have read that in the wild, when deer antlers are left behind, animals will eat them off the forest floor etc. so i've heard they are OK to ingest all parts of them.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Never have seen any chunks come off my antlers. They just get whittled down slowly. Something is wrong with the antler you bought, take back for sure.

OP
Dubbiedog

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
=Meggs19;225335]I don't see "chunks" come off of the ones we have gotten but I do see little splintery pieces/shavings come off. They aren't big enough to choke on or anything though, just little pieces/shards, some bigger than others. I never viewed them as dangerous though. Also, when one of Tonka's got down to be just a little chun left he swallowed it. They can just eat them like that right? I know they are real antelers too. I have read that in the wild, when deer antlers are left behind, animals will eat them off the forest floor etc. so i've heard they are OK to ingest all parts of them.[/QUOTE]

Took it back today and the weird thing is the lady who was working asked me "what did you do to it?" Give me a break. Do I look like someone who chews on Deer Antler??
DSCF1299.jpg:sarcastic: Told her I just washed off the dog spit but maybe she wanted to see that:laugh: Anyway, posted a pic just in case I received any "unwanted" answers to me looking like someone who chews on Deer Antlers:p Did pick her up another and will post a pic of her thoroughly enjoying the new one. Thanks for the information for ordering online. will be doing that..

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I have heard that deer antlers will splinter, and supposedly the Elk antlers do not. I have never used them but was talking to someone at a dog show about them. Plus do not let them swallow the antler when it becomes small enough to do so.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online