cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Anyone have one of these and does your bulldog actually use it?

I am wanting to put screen doors in and would like to have them with a doggy door. Does a bulldog need to be trained to go in/out one of these?

Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated! :D

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
We had one in our old house. I suppose it wouldn't be a problem for your bully to use it.

That being said, I would be concerned about one thing. SUMMER. We know how our bullies love to sun bathe even though they shouldn't spend so much time out when it is hot. I think during the warm months, I would lock it to make sure they don't stay out so long. Some of them might know when to come in, but one of mine surely doesn't! lol. The rest of year, I think it would work perfectly!

wendykerr

Jun 3, 2012
Cibolo, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Larry aka Lawrence Tiberius
We have one for our dogs and love it. I have to watch Larry to make sure he doesn't stay out long when its hot, though. (He is crated when we aren't home so no worries there.)
He learned to use it pretty quick. Once or twice with a treat on the other side and that was it.

Here is a pic of Larry just staring at me from the door. He likes to poke his head out and just look around - without going all the way outside. :)
bulldog_hot.jpg

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would definitely say use with caution in the heat, and make sure to watch them to make sure they don't go out in the heat and stay too long. Myself I would never use one with bullies. Too easy to forget they went outside.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I was never to keen on the doggie doors for any dog. If I am in the shower or doing something I want to know the dogs are in the house safe. I am a worry wart though and when they are outside I am also :) Or at least standing at the door watching

gracoliv

Jan 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie and Oliver
I have one, but I have it on the garage's back door, so a human has to let them into the garage, but then not have to walk to the other side of the garage to let them into the fenced area. Anyway, that was actually that was the plan, they wont use it so I have to leave the back garage door propped open all the time (1 of the dogs wont even use the $3500 fenced area and must be walked on the front lawn to do her business - STUBBORN!). Agree, diligence is required, I find I forget they went out sometimes when I got up and opened the door myself; Age ? By the way, they have a hard plastic thingly that locks the door so you can easily prevent them from using it when you are out or in the shower or whatever.

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
I always wanted to put in a doggie door, it would help so much. That being said we haven't for several reasons 1) I would be afraid that Raven would spend her whole day out there or just get up to mischief. She is quick to find some poop that roaming cats seem to leave around, 2) I would be afraid one of those cats or possibly a raccoon came in through that door, 3) afraid that the size and material that door is made of makes my home an easy target for someone to enter.

It would be such a godsend to do it so I wouldn't have to ask her every few minutes if she has to go potty.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
We just got an estimate for getting our pool screened in and they wanted to know if we wanted them to put in a doggie door, I do not want one. I am afraid with the heat here in Florida that Vegas would go out and have a heat stroke. I limit his sunning to 5 min. max right now.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Our house actually had one when we bought it and the pups do use it freely. That being said I am at home all day with them (stay at home mom) so am able to know if say the pug is barking up the neighborhood and getting too hot. I agree you should be careful of the heat for sure but otherwise I say get one. I love mine and they love their freedom. Also training is like was posted abuot, a treat or 2 to teach them and you are good to go. ;)

fortindycouple

Apr 28, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack
We had one installed and absolutely love it. It took Jack a while to use it, he was so scared of it. We would go in and out it, showing him how it's done, he had no interest. I finally got out a package of croutons and that's all it took. We are both home all the time so that's a plus as far as making sure he isn't out too long. He usually stays pretty close to one of us though, as he doesn't want to miss out on anything. It works great for us, but you do have to be careful. Good luck!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online