Sancho got in a fight

redhed

Jun 22, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sancho
So, we took Sancho to the dog park today and he picked a fight with a lab puppy. Normally, I'd let it be and let them learn their boundaries, but there was an 8 yr old boy laughing and egging them on. sancho already gets a little too excited around kids and so i freaked out a bit. I was scared he would switch gears and bite the child, so i pulled him off.

My husband got mad and said i overreacted. I understand that my nervousness is not good, but i also understand a possibly injured child and a lawsuit wouldnt be good either.

Advice? Did i overreact? Tips to help us calm our excitable puppy?

Kassie

May 15, 2012
Alabama
Bulldog(s) Names
Rufus McGee
I say no, you didn't over react. You know your dog and if you fear him redirecting then you done well. I also think him 'picking a fight' may have been wrong as well.:blush2: Boundaries and territorial stuff is one thing, but no one wants a dog coming to the park looking for someone to pick on.

Then again I'd probably tear into the mean little kid like his mom should have...

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Under no circumstances should your dog OR any dog "pick a fight".. That's very irresponsible no matter whose dog it is. You should keep him on a leash until you know he realizes the rules. It might not seem like a huge deal..but he is learning Ho to behave. If some kid was egging on my dog..I would've given that kid a piece of my mind..and taken my dog home. As Dog owners we have a huge responsibility to do everything we can to raise well adjusted dogs..that are socialized properly. For one pup to "pick a fight" with another is just asking for trouble down the road. Especially with a Bully Breed. We have an extra responsibility. I'm not a big fan of dog parks..most of the time..there are problem dogs aplenty...

OP
redhed

redhed

Jun 22, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sancho
Ok, maybe I should clarify what I meant by "pick a fight." Those words were misleading and i should have been clearer. He didn't walk up and just start fighting. Rather, he had already been playing pretty roughly with a larger dog and was excited, but not aggressive.

He ran up to the puppy and nipped him to play a little too roughly. The puppy wasnt having it and growled and snapped back. I think it would have stopped there, but the kid started teasing them, putting his hand between them and pulling away two or three times. At that point, both dogs were getting increasingly agitated and more aggressive, leading to biting and snapping more purposefully and all that. This is where i intervened. I should have explained to the child, but i was just trying to calm sancho and maintain my own calm.

I understand he needs strong, consistent training as a bully breed, and that is why i am here. We are starting training classes in two weeks, so that will help.

I guess i just wanted advice on what to do specifically at the time something like this is taking place. Telling the kid and his mom off would probably have been a good start, but what else?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Ok, maybe I should clarify what I meant by "pick a fight." Those words were misleading and i should have been clearer. He didn't walk up and just start fighting. Rather, he had already been playing pretty roughly with a larger dog and was excited, but not aggressive.

He ran up to the puppy and nipped him to play a little too roughly. The puppy wasnt having it and growled and snapped back. I think it would have stopped there, but the kid started teasing them, putting his hand between them and pulling away two or three times. At that point, both dogs were getting increasingly agitated and more aggressive, leading to biting and snapping more purposefully and all that. This is where i intervened. I should have explained to the child, but i was just trying to calm sancho and maintain my own calm.

I understand he needs strong, consistent training as a bully breed, and that is why i am here. We are starting training classes in two weeks, so that will help.

I guess i just wanted advice on what to do specifically at the time something like this is taking place. Telling the kid and his mom off would probably have been a good start, but what else?

:whew: ok! Now I have a better picture! Sorry if it seemed like I was lecturing..I was...I always give the digs the benefit of the doubt..the humans..not so much! :laugh: puppies learn their boundaries from their littermates...their moms.and us. I think as soon as you sense there is heightened anxiety..playing or not, that's when you step in. Excitement leads to other more aggressive behavior. For sure I would've removed him from being near the bratty kid! Teasing ..especially by kids needs to be stopped. You want him to love kids..not see them as chew toys or worse!

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Interested in hearing the responses. Rudy recently bit a boxer and locked his jaws on the poor dogs lip. I think it was my fault. I was holding the leash tout to make sure there were no problems. I probably created the problem with my being nervous. going to bring in the private trainer to help train "ME" AGAIN.

Mimi had a lot of problems with other dogs after she was bit at a dog park. After that, bite first ask questions later. Before that she got along with other dogs just fine.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Interested in hearing the responses. Rudy recently bit a boxer and locked his jaws on the poor dogs lip. I think it was my fault. I was holding the leash tout to make sure there were no problems. I probably created the problem with my being nervous. going to bring in the private trainer to help train "ME" AGAIN.

Mimi had a lot of problems with other dogs after she was bit at a dog park. After that, bite first ask questions later. Before that she got along with other dogs just fine.

Dog parks are just not conducive to most dogs..especially pups. It's peer pressure for dogs! To me it's so much better to socialize them in a controlled Enviroment with calm dogs and calmer people.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
This is another reason we avoid dog parks. We go to my moms she has 2 dogs, my brother has 1 dog. I let them socilize with people we know and dogs that are under control. You did the right thing by getting your bullie out of a bad situation.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Under no circumstances should your dog OR any dog "pick a fight".. That's very irresponsible no matter whose dog it is. You should keep him on a leash until you know he realizes the rules. It might not seem like a huge deal..but he is learning Ho to behave. If some kid was egging on my dog..I would've given that kid a piece of my mind..and taken my dog home. As Dog owners we have a huge responsibility to do everything we can to raise well adjusted dogs..that are socialized properly. For one pup to "pick a fight" with another is just asking for trouble down the road. Especially with a Bully Breed. We have an extra responsibility. I'm not a big fan of dog parks..most of the time..there are problem dogs aplenty...

Good Stuff!

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
I just want to say also that I think you did the right thing. I probably would've said something to the parent/guardian of that kid. Something like "hey, I know these 2 pups are just aggressively playing right now, but the next couple of dogs that he's egging on may actually be fighting and he might get hurt" Some people (even some dog people) don't realize that dogs can so easily feed off of energy. The kid probably was never taught any better unfortunately.

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels

OMG, that response is sooooooooooooo like your new title name. "The Ultimate Sourmug" :ROFL:
:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL::ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL::ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
[MENTION=5200]redhed[/MENTION] I say you send Sancho over to my house for a little while, say..... 3 years.
Until he is socialized and ready for society.! :weird:

gracoliv

Jan 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie and Oliver
This may be unpopular, but I wish kids were not allowed in dog parks. Where I live, dogs are not allowed within a certain distance from a childrens park (where there is a play structure etc) and not allowed off leash at about 95% of parks. I agree that dog parks are a very unpredicatable place to bring your dog with lots of potential for problems, but there still a part of me that loves the idea of lots of dogs running around free and for the most part having a good time. Its an exposure that can really desensitize your dog to other dogs. Kids just add another negative to the situation, with running and high energy etc...

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I have a fairly strong opinion on this one. You were right to stop it. Normally, I would have said to let it be because bullies play rougher than most dogs and the lab would have put him in his place but throw in a kid who is being a jerk and you are asking for problems. Good for you for breaking it up. It may, or may not have done any good, but I would have explained to the child why what he was doing was dangerous. Not just for the dogs but for himself as well. As a parent, I would have freaked out on my child if they did that!

I also strongly disagree with having your dog on leash at a dog park where the other dogs are not on leash. Being the only one that is restrained will just make your dog nervous. I know that you did not have your dog on leash, but I wouldn't set that scene. I don't care for dog parks for several reasons but if you do like them and feel your dog would benefit, then go for it. Just keep an eye out (like you were) and it will be fine :).

I do like to take my guys to parks where dogs are allowed on leash. That way, I can allow them to interact (with permission) and both dogs are on equal ground with both having leashes.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.