Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 16

Thread: Sancho got in a fight

  1. #1
    Drool Catcher Become a 4 Paw Member redhed's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    205
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sancho
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Sancho got in a fight

    So, we took Sancho to the dog park today and he picked a fight with a lab puppy. Normally, I'd let it be and let them learn their boundaries, but there was an 8 yr old boy laughing and egging them on. sancho already gets a little too excited around kids and so i freaked out a bit. I was scared he would switch gears and bite the child, so i pulled him off.

    My husband got mad and said i overreacted. I understand that my nervousness is not good, but i also understand a possibly injured child and a lawsuit wouldnt be good either.

    Advice? Did i overreact? Tips to help us calm our excitable puppy?

  2. #2
    Bully Bootie Duty Kassie's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kassie
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    178
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Rufus McGee
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default Re: Sancho got in a fight

    I say no, you didn't over react. You know your dog and if you fear him redirecting then you done well. I also think him 'picking a fight' may have been wrong as well. Boundaries and territorial stuff is one thing, but no one wants a dog coming to the park looking for someone to pick on.

    Then again I'd probably tear into the mean little kid like his mom should have...
    "You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats animals"

  3. #3
    .................
    Real Name
    Becky
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    14,938
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default Re: Sancho got in a fight

    Under no circumstances should your dog OR any dog "pick a fight".. That's very irresponsible no matter whose dog it is. You should keep him on a leash until you know he realizes the rules. It might not seem like a huge deal..but he is learning Ho to behave. If some kid was egging on my dog..I would've given that kid a piece of my mind..and taken my dog home. As Dog owners we have a huge responsibility to do everything we can to raise well adjusted dogs..that are socialized properly. For one pup to "pick a fight" with another is just asking for trouble down the road. Especially with a Bully Breed. We have an extra responsibility. I'm not a big fan of dog parks..most of the time..there are problem dogs aplenty...

  4. #4
    Drool Catcher Become a 4 Paw Member redhed's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    205
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sancho
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Sancho got in a fight

    Ok, maybe I should clarify what I meant by "pick a fight." Those words were misleading and i should have been clearer. He didn't walk up and just start fighting. Rather, he had already been playing pretty roughly with a larger dog and was excited, but not aggressive.

    He ran up to the puppy and nipped him to play a little too roughly. The puppy wasnt having it and growled and snapped back. I think it would have stopped there, but the kid started teasing them, putting his hand between them and pulling away two or three times. At that point, both dogs were getting increasingly agitated and more aggressive, leading to biting and snapping more purposefully and all that. This is where i intervened. I should have explained to the child, but i was just trying to calm sancho and maintain my own calm.

    I understand he needs strong, consistent training as a bully breed, and that is why i am here. We are starting training classes in two weeks, so that will help.

    I guess i just wanted advice on what to do specifically at the time something like this is taking place. Telling the kid and his mom off would probably have been a good start, but what else?

  5. #5
    .................
    Real Name
    Becky
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    14,938
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default Re: Sancho got in a fight

    Quote Originally Posted by redhed View Post
    Ok, maybe I should clarify what I meant by "pick a fight." Those words were misleading and i should have been clearer. He didn't walk up and just start fighting. Rather, he had already been playing pretty roughly with a larger dog and was excited, but not aggressive.

    He ran up to the puppy and nipped him to play a little too roughly. The puppy wasnt having it and growled and snapped back. I think it would have stopped there, but the kid started teasing them, putting his hand between them and pulling away two or three times. At that point, both dogs were getting increasingly agitated and more aggressive, leading to biting and snapping more purposefully and all that. This is where i intervened. I should have explained to the child, but i was just trying to calm sancho and maintain my own calm.

    I understand he needs strong, consistent training as a bully breed, and that is why i am here. We are starting training classes in two weeks, so that will help.

    I guess i just wanted advice on what to do specifically at the time something like this is taking place. Telling the kid and his mom off would probably have been a good start, but what else?

    ok! Now I have a better picture! Sorry if it seemed like I was lecturing..I was...I always give the digs the benefit of the doubt..the humans..not so much! puppies learn their boundaries from their littermates...their moms.and us. I think as soon as you sense there is heightened anxiety..playing or not, that's when you step in. Excitement leads to other more aggressive behavior. For sure I would've removed him from being near the bratty kid! Teasing ..especially by kids needs to be stopped. You want him to love kids..not see them as chew toys or worse!

  6. #6
    Pet Sitter gobronco's Avatar
    Location
    San Jose, Ca
    Posts
    356
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Rudy and Mila
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Sancho got in a fight

    Interested in hearing the responses. Rudy recently bit a boxer and locked his jaws on the poor dogs lip. I think it was my fault. I was holding the leash tout to make sure there were no problems. I probably created the problem with my being nervous. going to bring in the private trainer to help train "ME" AGAIN.

    Mimi had a lot of problems with other dogs after she was bit at a dog park. After that, bite first ask questions later. Before that she got along with other dogs just fine.

  7. #7
    .................
    Real Name
    Becky
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    14,938
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default Re: Sancho got in a fight

    Quote Originally Posted by gobronco View Post
    Interested in hearing the responses. Rudy recently bit a boxer and locked his jaws on the poor dogs lip. I think it was my fault. I was holding the leash tout to make sure there were no problems. I probably created the problem with my being nervous. going to bring in the private trainer to help train "ME" AGAIN.

    Mimi had a lot of problems with other dogs after she was bit at a dog park. After that, bite first ask questions later. Before that she got along with other dogs just fine.

    Dog parks are just not conducive to most dogs..especially pups. It's peer pressure for dogs! To me it's so much better to socialize them in a controlled Enviroment with calm dogs and calmer people.

  8. #8
    Snookie ain't got nuttin on me! Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    ChanelnBrutus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    5,077
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default Re: Sancho got in a fight

    This is another reason we avoid dog parks. We go to my moms she has 2 dogs, my brother has 1 dog. I let them socilize with people we know and dogs that are under control. You did the right thing by getting your bullie out of a bad situation.
    Everyone wants to kiss a bullie

  9. #9
    "Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Location
    Mukilteo, Washington State
    Posts
    5,794
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)
    7

    Default Re: Sancho got in a fight

    Quote Originally Posted by JAKEISGREAT View Post
    Under no circumstances should your dog OR any dog "pick a fight".. That's very irresponsible no matter whose dog it is. You should keep him on a leash until you know he realizes the rules. It might not seem like a huge deal..but he is learning Ho to behave. If some kid was egging on my dog..I would've given that kid a piece of my mind..and taken my dog home. As Dog owners we have a huge responsibility to do everything we can to raise well adjusted dogs..that are socialized properly. For one pup to "pick a fight" with another is just asking for trouble down the road. Especially with a Bully Breed. We have an extra responsibility. I'm not a big fan of dog parks..most of the time..there are problem dogs aplenty...
    Good Stuff!

  10. #10
    Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    LillyNBruin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ashley
    Location
    Central Mass
    Posts
    761
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruin & Lilly
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Sancho got in a fight

    I just want to say also that I think you did the right thing. I probably would've said something to the parent/guardian of that kid. Something like "hey, I know these 2 pups are just aggressively playing right now, but the next couple of dogs that he's egging on may actually be fighting and he might get hurt" Some people (even some dog people) don't realize that dogs can so easily feed off of energy. The kid probably was never taught any better unfortunately.
    "The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

  11. #11
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Jack Daniels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Will - Killer of All Ninjas
    Location
    Miami Florida
    Posts
    1,045
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack Daniels
    Likes (Received)
    13

    Default Re: Sancho got in a fight

    Quote Originally Posted by JAKEISGREAT View Post
    Under no circumstances should your dog OR any dog "pick a fight".. That's very irresponsible no matter whose dog it is. You should keep him on a leash until you know he realizes the rules. It might not seem like a huge deal..but he is learning Ho to behave. If some kid was egging on my dog..I would've given that kid a piece of my mind..and taken my dog home. As Dog owners we have a huge responsibility to do everything we can to raise well adjusted dogs..that are socialized properly. For one pup to "pick a fight" with another is just asking for trouble down the road. Especially with a Bully Breed. We have an extra responsibility. I'm not a big fan of dog parks..most of the time..there are problem dogs aplenty...

    OMG, that response is sooooooooooooo like your new title name. "The Ultimate Sourmug"

  12. #12
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Jack Daniels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Will - Killer of All Ninjas
    Location
    Miami Florida
    Posts
    1,045
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack Daniels
    Likes (Received)
    13

    Default Re: Sancho got in a fight

    @redhed I say you send Sancho over to my house for a little while, say..... 3 years.
    Until he is socialized and ready for society.!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •