Thread: Sancho got in a fight

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Sancho got in a fight

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Daniels View Post
    OMG, that response is sooooooooooooo like your new title name. "The Ultimate Sourmug"
    ​Im turning over a new leaf...

Bulldog(s) Names
    Gracie and Oliver
    Likes (Received)

This may be unpopular, but I wish kids were not allowed in dog parks. Where I live, dogs are not allowed within a certain distance from a childrens park (where there is a play structure etc) and not allowed off leash at about 95% of parks. I agree that dog parks are a very unpredicatable place to bring your dog with lots of potential for problems, but there still a part of me that loves the idea of lots of dogs running around free and for the most part having a good time. Its an exposure that can really desensitize your dog to other dogs. Kids just add another negative to the situation, with running and high energy etc...

I am in total control....I think Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I have a fairly strong opinion on this one. You were right to stop it. Normally, I would have said to let it be because bullies play rougher than most dogs and the lab would have put him in his place but throw in a kid who is being a jerk and you are asking for problems. Good for you for breaking it up. It may, or may not have done any good, but I would have explained to the child why what he was doing was dangerous. Not just for the dogs but for himself as well. As a parent, I would have freaked out on my child if they did that!

I also strongly disagree with having your dog on leash at a dog park where the other dogs are not on leash. Being the only one that is restrained will just make your dog nervous. I know that you did not have your dog on leash, but I wouldn't set that scene. I don't care for dog parks for several reasons but if you do like them and feel your dog would benefit, then go for it. Just keep an eye out (like you were) and it will be fine .

I do like to take my guys to parks where dogs are allowed on leash. That way, I can allow them to interact (with permission) and both dogs are on equal ground with both having leashes.

Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Ashley
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruin & Lilly
    Likes (Received)

@gracoliv I agree its probably an unpopular opinion but I'll stand with you on this one. I think if dogs aren't allowed within a certain distance than I don't think children should be allowed in dogs parks either. It's unfortunate, but its kind of the same scenerio. I'm sure the reason why dogs aren't allowed in those areas are b/c human parents can't trust or depend that a dog parent has properly trained or socialized their dog (fair assumption) just as dog parents can't trust that a human parent has taught their child how to be around dogs (also a fair assumption).
    "The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads