Sumo is a crazzzzyyy girl!

SUMOPUP

Jul 28, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sumo
So i wanted to get everyones feedback.

sumo is amazing. such a personality!!! she is so sweet with other dogs (always getting on her tummy and being submissive) and she is so cuddly and loving in my apartment.

My question is: whenever i leave my house and bring sumo with, she NEVER settles down. In my apartment she'll sleep all the time, but if she is anywhere else (even if it 5 hours!!!) she never settles down. She ends up panting and grunting the whole time because she is so tired but she can't calm down.

Does anyone else's bully do something like this?
I just want her to be comfortable and its hard for me to see her so exhausted and nott able to rest.

Not to mention that its difficult to take her places if she isn't calm.
MY parents have never seen her calm! this is a crime.

any feedback is appreciated.

558437_10100778115592491_253645113_n.jpg thanks!!!

Taylor

Jul 10, 2012
Pittsburgh
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Charlotte Elizabeth
Does she know the "down" command? If you can put her in a "down-stay" she should calm down because she'll be laying down and not have much of another option. You should also start slow. Maybe try bringing her to a close friend/boyfriend/parents house when they are calm and just watching tv, or doing something that you do at home...if everyone is just chilling out and watching tv and sitting, she should feel more comfortable doing the same.

OP
SUMOPUP

SUMOPUP

Jul 28, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sumo
Does she know the "down" command? If you can put her in a "down-stay" she should calm down because she'll be laying down and not have much of another option. You should also start slow. Maybe try bringing her to a close friend/boyfriend/parents house when they are calm and just watching tv, or doing something that you do at home...if everyone is just chilling out and watching tv and sitting, she should feel more comfortable doing the same.

I usually bring her to my parents house, or my boyfriends parents house, and we are all just sitting and eating or watching television. She just keeps moving around. I've even taken her to my parents house, then out for a long park visit, and then back to my parents, and she is still moving around like crazy!

It's difficult because I feel like i need to watch what she is doing when she's up and moving all over the place, and i know she is so exhausted (because the second she gets in the car or back to my apartment she is out like a light!)

she does know the down command. so i will try to work on that with her!

any other suggestions would be great too!

Heff102

I will show you my thingy if you show me yours!
Community Veteran
Jul 7, 2012
Humboldt, SK
Bulldog(s) Names
Lulu
I usually bring her to my parents house, or my boyfriends parents house, and we are all just sitting and eating or watching television. She just keeps moving around. I've even taken her to my parents house, then out for a long park visit, and then back to my parents, and she is still moving around like crazy!

It's difficult because I feel like i need to watch what she is doing when she's up and moving all over the place, and i know she is so exhausted (because the second she gets in the car or back to my apartment she is out like a light!)

she does know the down command. so i will try to work on that with her!

any other suggestions would be great too!

Sounds like an anxiety issue to me. You can try Bach Flowers Rescue Remedy.

Taylor

Jul 10, 2012
Pittsburgh
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Charlotte Elizabeth
Have you tried leaving her on her leash? Sometimes a new place, off leash, is just too much to explore. If you limit her to being close to you, it's easier on you because you don't have to go chasing her around, and it's easier for her because she knows where shes supposed to be

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Does she have a bed or some toys you can take with you ... so that she knows where she can lie down?? Also ... remind me ... how old is Sumo??

OP
SUMOPUP

SUMOPUP

Jul 28, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sumo
Does she have a bed or some toys you can take with you ... so that she knows where she can lie down?? Also ... remind me ... how old is Sumo??

Sumo is now 14 months old.
we've taken her bed with us (she is ALWAYS in her bed at my apartment) and we usually take some of her favourite toys too. Her deer antler is something she loves at my place but wont touch because she is too busy roaming when i bring her somewhere else.

i can give her a tennis ball and she keeps occupied with that (because she also has a ball obsession!!!) but i still feel bad because shes so tired playing with this tennis ball, i just want her to relax.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Hmmm... I would say to try keeping her on a leash when you visit as another member mentioned in a previous post. See how that works out. Sumo is still so young that she may just be over-excited with a bit of anxiety. A lot of bullys really hate change!!! :pouting:

OP
SUMOPUP

SUMOPUP

Jul 28, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sumo
Sounds like an anxiety issue to me. You can try Bach Flowers Rescue Remedy.

I've never heard of that? What is Bach Flowers Rescue Remedy? Is this something that other people have used and has had a positive result with?

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
Have you tried a solid, basic walk before you go somewhere? I found that when I did "park time" (running/chasing), Lupe's energy didn't really change that much. Like, what I thought would be relaxing such as going to the dog park then an outdoor cafe was just plain exhausting for me because she was always ON, panting, whinning, looking, wagging, wanting.

Totally different after a 15-minute basic walk at a medium pace. She's flat out DONE. I don't even go to the park anymore. This was when she was about a year and 1/2. Now at four, I can shorten the walk with same result. Good luck!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Try calming her w/gentle massage and chest rubs, I too, think keeping her
close to you, leashed, may help. She might be feeding off your anxiety now
about her constant roaming, some bullies do hate change, any at all!

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Frank is like this. He just gets so excited to be somewhere new and around new people or dogs. I just keep his harness and leash on so we can roam around together, but it still takes him such a long time to settle down. Usually it is the worst when there are kids or other dogs. He just loves them so much and wants to be involved in everything.

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
I do the leash thing when there is too much stimulation. Helps to keep them focused.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.