When is to TOO late to cut off a Bulldogs tail?

EBDR35

Oct 4, 2011
I was curious when is it considered TOO late to cut off a Bulldogs tail? My bullys tail is about 4 inches, I've attached a couple picture below. I notice that about 90% of bullys have just about no tails, or just a little cotton ball which I do like. I don't hate my bullys tail but it would be nice if hers was just like most of the other bullys. From what i've seen it seems as if the majority of bullys with lots of White seem to have longer tails. My bully is just about all white (95%)

Here are a few pictures

IMG_2769.jpg

when she was a baby

20111125_130046.jpg

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Last edited:

Taylor

Jul 10, 2012
Pittsburgh
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Charlotte Elizabeth
Personally I wouldn't cut it. For purely cosmetic reasons it's an unnecessary surgery that could cause complications if it gets infected.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
IMO I wouldn't have an unnecessary surgery. It's better her tail is like that easier to keep clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk so that explains my grammar :)

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I agree, I wouldn't take it off for anything. They are common and even desirable so why put her through the pain and the risk of unnecessary surgery?

jessport

Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Bulldog(s) Names
daisy
I love daisy's tail :) I've had this discussion with my vet (not for daisy of course) and it sounds so horrible! The tail is an extension of the spine and the procedure (depending on how it is done)is very painful. Puppies actually scream. Some vets actually cut the tails with a pair of scissors. OUCH! I think your baby's tail is beautiful as is she btw :) I can't believe the resemblance.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I totally agree with [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION], leave that tail alone, he has a nice tail. Be glad it's not a tight cork screw tail you have to clean all the time and it's painful for them. Leave it be.

cslafferty

Jan 17, 2011
Linden, MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola (1/31/11) & Chief (9/18/00-12/30/10)
Have the same issue with my boston terrier. Her's is about 2 inches long and sticks straight out for about an inch and then curls like a pig's tail. Most boston's are like bullies and have just a flap. I like that she has a little stub that she can wag!! And she wags it all the time!! I agree with everyone else - that's part of her uniqueness, so leave it as is.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
*DO NOT AMPUTATE* Your bully has a beautiful tail, that some of us would die for. Gizmo had an INVERTED Corkscrew tail, (It was growing back INTO the body) that we HAD to have Amputated, I can NOT tell you how awful that surgery was (Necessary but STILL Awful) When we got the 'Puppy Bug' the 1st thing I was asking breeders - I want to see the tail ! because I never wanted to go through that again with another bully ! ! ! !

Again... DO NOT AMPUTATE that tail as its not medically necessary. its an Awful Awful surgery.

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
Oh please don't do anything to her tail. Dublin is about 90% white and she has a longer tail that goes into a point. Look at that face so sweet. Bullies have enough issues to deal with and putting them through surgery that they don't need is never good. I bet you will not get one post on here that will condone any tail shortening for cosmetic reasons.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Actually you will be surprised to learn that your bully SHOULD have a tail according to the BCA standard. If I ever got into showing, one of the things I would look for is a nice tail! I have 6 bullies, 1 with tail (Ch Trimbull lines) 3 with stubs, and two corkscrews.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online