May need a new collar.. What do u use?

loonatic8

Oct 10, 2011
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
BooBoo
Hi all, boo's almost a year now, he's using regular leather collar ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343650178.257263.jpg but he can easily break free from it.. Since the head is as big as his neck.

He didn't ran away that far, and he never bites (just slobber) but people are often scared and ran. Which would prompt boo to chase after them in a playfull manner.

I prefer collar over harness on a walk, and he has a harness to use on car ride, but i want to know if there are a good strong collar that wont harm the bully, only makes it harder for them to break free..

Any ideas?

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Some people swear by the Martingate style collars - I've never used one - they actually tighten when the bully pulls.
We use KONG NYLON Collars, and its mostly for ID tags... and Harnesses for out in public.

Taylor

Jul 10, 2012
Pittsburgh
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Charlotte Elizabeth
martingale collars are awesome. They tighten the whole way around so that you don't pull on your dog's windpipe. If you don't want a harness, I would suggest this collar. I have used it with Charlotte and it works well.

LucyLou

Jul 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
I agree with the martingale type collars. I use them for my boston, boxer and now my OEB. They are great as they aren't tight on their necks when not on leash and they can't slip out of them and you can get some cute patterned ones.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
After I saw the damage done to Otis's neck from a collar, I won't even keep one on for their tags.

OP
loonatic8

loonatic8

Oct 10, 2011
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
BooBoo
Harness is always preferable, but i find boo to be more submissive and easier to handle on a collar..

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Any collar used for control is going to put pressure on the windpipe/esophagus. Definitely not a good choice for a bully IMO. There are harnesses that give excellent control. And safety.

gracoliv

Jan 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie and Oliver
I bought a nylon harness, I find it slips around and doesnt stay on nice unless its fairly tight, which I feel would be uncomfortable... am I doing something wrong ?

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I only use a harness as I don't really like collars but I do worry that Ftse does not have a tag on.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Our collars are fashion accessories only!!! :luv: :blush2:

For walks and car rides it is ALWAYS harnesses!!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
HRH has tags on the clip of her harness. We use a caribeener clip to switch from one harness to another because of course well dressed princesses color coordinate outfits and harnesses. :girlwink:

I remember when researching what harness we wanted to ger for HRH that are easy walk harnesses that were designed to make even hard to walk dogs easier to lead. I think you can find a video on them by searching for easy lead harness. They may even show how to fit properly if I remember correctly. HRH is fairly good at leading unless someone makes a scary loud sound. So we didn't have to get one and it's been a while ago since I was researching them.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.