Bully friendly way to get the grass growing again in the backyard

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
We bought a house that won't be built until next year, and my wonderful parents are letting us stay at their house for the time being to save some much needed moolah. I must say that having a backyard is so fantastic. We've discovered that Stigs likes to roam around and smell everything while Punks just does his business, right beside the steps :cursing:, and runs back in the house. They're so different in so many ways. lol.

As a way to say thank you, I'd like to get the grass growing again. It's literally full of weeds. My dad takes care of the front yard as he has a small garden there. They've never really held backyard parties, so it's a whole different ball game in that area. I know that my dad has tried, but gave up. What's the quickest and bully-safest way to get rid of the weeds? Although I'd love to pull them all out, there's just so many that it's going to take forever to do. My co-worker told me that once all the weeds are gone, I should fertilize the whole area once a week with a very thin layer and the grass should grow back quickly.

What's your sure-fire method? :)

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Grass? What's that? LOL

Bullies, well, HRH anyway, has really strong urine. Everywhere she would pee our grass, when we had some, would die in days. Other than rototilling it all up and starting over I don't know.... Take a pic for us so we can see how bad it is.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
OP
izstigspunks

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Will do when I get home. I should be embarrassed, but I figured we share everything on this site anyways. lol.

Been spraying water over the parts where they do pee with water, as someone mentioned here. Something about diluting the nitrogen will help the grass from turning yellow. Hopefully it works.

OP
izstigspunks

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks Bruce. Will try out some of the tips. Figured it'll be a fun project since Stig likes to stay outside for a bit. Maybe he can even play with his jolly there. Wonder if the neighbours will mind a barking bully as an alarm clock on Saturday mornings. :D

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I just wanted to say, Congratulations on your new house! that's really exciting!! It's so nice to have a yard to just let the boys out, isn't it?

now about that weedy grass...i have that situation in some patches of my backyard too. I think my gardener said that area would just have to be replaced (once all the weed is pulled out), with new grass or sod. Sorry, don't have much to offer here but congrats again on your upcoming home!!

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
Man I tell you weeds do suck; and to get rid of them once they have spread like wildfire is nearly impossible.
The weed & feed granules will usually kill the good grass and feed the weeds! :laugh:

I don't know the size of the backyard but your best bet it to take a hoe to all the bad areas and leave it bare. Then buy some new sod (usually about $1.50 a square sized 1.5 x 2ft)
and just lay them down and water frequently until the new sod grabs.

good luck...

OP
izstigspunks

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=3139]Jack Daniels[/MENTION] - I'm thinking that's the easiest way too. There's not much grass left anyways, and I'm sure my dad will appreciate the end results, even when all he'll see is sod patches for the next few weeks. How often should I water after sodding?

[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] - I absolute love it! Right when we get up in the morning or get home from work, it's straight to the yard they go! So much less work than preparing them for a quick walk. Stig learned the word "backyard" too and would run to the sliding doors as soon as hears it.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
When we bought our house in Nov. it was a short sale, so it had sat for almost 2 years unattended. Our grass was more weeds than grass. We hired a company to come in and dig up our whole front yard and lay fresh sod. After that expense, and it was, we had to water every day, again very expensive our front yard finally looks nice. Our backyard is a disaster and will remain that way for a while, we know how much it was just to do the front. Good thing it is fenced in with a privacy fence!

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
@Jack Daniels - I'm thinking that's the easiest way too. There's not much grass left anyways, and I'm sure my dad will appreciate the end results, even when all he'll see is sod patches for the next few weeks. How often should I water after sodding?
the word "backyard" too and would run to the sliding doors as soon as hears it.

You'll need to water daily for at least the first week.Then every other day for about another week. Early morning before sun comes up is best. Or Late evening... Never ever ever water your lawn during peak Sunlight hours because although you may feel you are quenching the lawn's thirst, you are actually burning it.!

Heff102

I will show you my thingy if you show me yours!
Community Veteran
Jul 7, 2012
Humboldt, SK
Bulldog(s) Names
Lulu
Being an old farm boy this is the best and fastest way to do it.

Spray the whole area with Round Up. Round Up is a pretty safe chemical. The next day work the whole area up with a tiller etc. then level the area and pack it. Next I would simply put down sod (turf). Voila whole new back yard. Can literally be done in 2 days. We have a area around our backyard that is small rocks and one with sand. We train our dogs to go there and not on the lawn. Works sometimes!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I have struggled with the dog's yard grass for going on four years. I garden organically so no chemicals -- outside of liquid fertilizer. There are a variety of problems out there and dog pee only exacerbates the other issues of; clay dirt, sloping yard, very wet on one end, very dry on the other, crappy grass, etc. etc. I've reseeded, I've fertilized, I've mulched, I've peat mossed, I've applied manure and compost....still ain't great.

I've determined that four years ago, I should have hired a bobcat guy to dig it up and level it, amend the soil and resod. It would have been cheaper. ha ha

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Congrats on the house Jamelyn! I wish i had advice on the backyard, but we have a much different reason why grass refuses to grow in our backyard - no sunlight and no access to water because of the million year old trees back here.

PeterPanAndWendy

Jul 27, 2011
Lindsey, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pan Cake
You could always work on one side of he yard at a time. Spray a weed killer and after the weeds are gone apply grass seed. In a few weeks do the other side. I know that there is commercial grade seed that can put up with a lot.

We have 2 1/2 acres and Pan uses the majority back half to do his business, so we don't have an issue with him killing the grass. However he has been known to graze on my flowers...

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
You can add 1 Tbsp ofapple cider vinegar to your dogs drinking water everyday, it helps to balance the Ph levels in the body, among many other benefits, so it will reduce or eliminate the yellow grass stains on the lawn.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.