keeping a bulldog cool

Libbygirl

Jul 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Libby
Hello,

So we all know bulldogs need to be kept in cool temps. So any suggestions on how to keep my little girl cool in a power outage? Its quit warm and muggy where I live. Thanks for any advice.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
What you don't want to do is use cold water. Room temperature water will cool her down and not send her into shock. Wipe her footpads and face with it. You might even drape a damp towel over her back.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
This is a big worry for us too! I did buy a cooling vest and a cooling bandana I've used the vest when my A/C broke down last summer. It was fine for about 4 hours..but without a way to recool it..I'm not sure. [MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] has a cooling mat..and I think [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] does too!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Oh Wilson LOVES his cooling pad, LOVES it! Not only does it lay on it all the time during the summer (at night time mostly), he lays on it during the wintertime too. I got mine from http://www.keepdoggiesafe.com/dog-cooling-pad.html and got the large. I even take it camping with us for the camper. Emma is just starting to take a liking to it but she doesn't get as hot as Wilson. The neat thing about this brand is that it's self cooling by a hard type gel so you don't have to put it in the freezer, fridge or fill it with water.

I need to get a new one so I've been looking today actually. They're $50 on Ebay and Amazon, plus shipping. :up:

This is the one Henny ([MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION]) and I have. Finn, her bully ate hers though. :laugh: Wilson sorta did but I just ducted taped the area he ripped.

dog-cooling-pad.jpg

OP
Libbygirl

Libbygirl

Jul 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Libby
ok great, which jacket did you buy..thinking you could get ice in a cooler and cool it that way. Im trying to decide between the vest and the pad for libby

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I've never used a cooling jacket before and since we're not outside when it's real hot they'd never really use it. That could always change though.

I just ordered my new pad from Amazon. :up:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
ok great, which jacket did you buy..thinking you could get ice in a cooler and cool it that way. Im trying to decide between the vest and the pad for libby

I bought it from the same company as above..Keepdoggiesafe.com...it's full of little beads that expand when wet..you soak it in water for about 30 minutes..this makes the little beads expand..you wring out the water..gently..input mine in fidge for couple hours and it was awesome..but I'm sure a ice chest would work too. I got a large..even though at the time Jake was a pup..it's made from same material as soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan used to keep cool.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.