fortindycouple

fortindycouple

Apr 28, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack
When Jack chews on one of those God awful Bully Sticks, we do cut off whatever he is able to pull off of it, he has never swallowed them. Actually, he will chew around them until he gets that flavor layer off, and then he shows no interest. We have probably 35 or so bully sticks, rounds, etc. all intact, just missing the flavor laying that makes the entire house smell!!

DanReed

Jun 23, 2012
Shalimar, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston Churchill Reed
This is my first post on this website. I've mostly been trying to read everything that has been written! I wanted to give you a quick story about bully sticks. Our bully (Winston) LOVES them. It was a great way to coax him into his crate when crate training (he's 13 weeks this week). My step-daughter cut one in half to give to him because he will eat one within an hour (the thin 6" ones). As he was chewing on this 3" bully stick, he swallowed it whole and tried to regurgitate it. When she cut it in half, it created sharp edges and the regurgitation effort punctured his esophagus. He then swallowed it again and it got lodged about 2/3rds the way down. He began coughing and throwing up (mostly blood) to try and get it out and ended up aspirating some vomit into his lungs. I took him to the emergency clinic and they were able to sedate him and push the stick into his stomach but he developed pneumonia from the vomit in his lungs. His oxygen levels drastically lowered and we didn't know if he would make it through the night. For two weeks after, he would cough up the junk in his lungs every 10-15 minutes. He's much better now and has gained all his weight back (and more) but we will never use bully sticks again.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
This is my first post on this website. I've mostly been trying to read everything that has been written! I wanted to give you a quick story about bully sticks. Our bully (Winston) LOVES them. It was a great way to coax him into his crate when crate training (he's 13 weeks this week). My step-daughter cut one in half to give to him because he will eat one within an hour (the thin 6" ones). As he was chewing on this 3" bully stick, he swallowed it whole and tried to regurgitate it. When she cut it in half, it created sharp edges and the regurgitation effort punctured his esophagus. He then swallowed it again and it got lodged about 2/3rds the way down. He began coughing and throwing up (mostly blood) to try and get it out and ended up aspirating some vomit into his lungs. I took him to the emergency clinic and they were able to sedate him and push the stick into his stomach but he developed pneumonia from the vomit in his lungs. His oxygen levels drastically lowered and we didn't know if he would make it through the night. For two weeks after, he would cough up the junk in his lungs every 10-15 minutes. He's much better now and has gained all his weight back (and more) but we will never use bully sticks again.

:hiya:Dan! I hope you do an intro thread! Yes..you are sooo right..we always tell people NOT to use Bully sticks. I'm so glad your Winston is ok. Thank you for sharing your experience!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Welcome to the site... and thank you for sharing that incident. So happy your boy is OK and doing well

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
When Jack chews on one of those God awful Bully Sticks, we do cut off whatever he is able to pull off of it, he has never swallowed them. Actually, he will chew around them until he gets that flavor layer off, and then he shows no interest. We have probably 35 or so bully sticks, rounds, etc. all intact, just missing the flavor laying that makes the entire house smell!!

Please read the above post from Danreed...they are dangerous!

DanReed

Jun 23, 2012
Shalimar, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston Churchill Reed
We initially used them after reading Cesar Milan's book How to Raise the Perfect Puppy. He highly recommends them so I thought I'd give it a shot. I've also come to learn that a lot of his information is either a marketing effort or just plain wrong. I've learned more from this site than from him. I'm currently reading Culture Clash and that is proving to be a very good read.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
We initially used them after reading Cesar Milan's book How to Raise the Perfect Puppy. He highly recommends them so I thought I'd give it a shot. I've also come to learn that a lot of his information is either a marketing effort or just plain wrong. I've learned more from this site than from him. I'm currently reading Culture Clash and that is proving to be a very good read.

Great info..we have a Book Club here..look under Social Groups..if you're a big reader..might enjoy it! :D

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack

Great first post! :bravo: Wilson had a bully stick by mistake (they shipped me that instead of an antler and I didn't know the real difference back then) and it was disgusting. I ended up throwing it away. My old dogs loved compressed rawhides but after one too many times of having to literally dig it out of his throat because they get flattened and stuck at the roof of the mouth I finally stopped buying them even though they loved them so much. Never again, not worth the risk for me.

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
We also decided to try a bully stick after reading Cesar's book which encourages using bully sticks for positive reinforcement AND our vet had them for sale in his store. Tank would go over to them and whine every time we went to he vet. I had read many post previously, most saying no, but a few saying okay with close supervision, so we gave it a try. I was working in my craft room and gave it to Tank on his mat positioned on 3-4 feet away. He was about 5 months old at the time. He REALLY was enjoying it and I was getting some much needed uninterrupted craft time. After enjoying the bully stick for about 40 minutes, I hear a thud, look over and Tank is flat on the floor. I immediately thought I was going to have to do doggy CPR, but luckily he had just gagged causing him to throw up and that caused an anxiety attack which caused him to collapse. Within minutes he was fine and wanted the bully stick back, but No No No ~ no more bully sticks! It's just not worth it! Now I give him raw marrow bones. He loves them, they last a very long time and are not a choking hazard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Gunny B

Jul 19, 2012
Marysville, Wa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
Going to hell. All I read was bull penis and 3" and I thought....poor little bull weenis. *sigh*

Also decided bully sticks are a no go. That's a win, right?

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
I don't allow Bully Sticks in my house since that time Bertie decided to share with me while I was sleeping and dropped the darn thing in my mouth! Took forever to get the taste and the thought of what it was out of my head!!!!!!!!!!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
We also decided to try a bully stick after reading Cesar's book which encourages using bully sticks for positive reinforcement AND our vet had them for sale in his store. Tank would go over to them and whine every time we went to he vet. I had read many post previously, most saying no, but a few saying okay with close supervision, so we gave it a try. I was working in my craft room and gave it to Tank on his mat positioned on 3-4 feet away. He was about 5 months old at the time. He REALLY was enjoying it and I was getting some much needed uninterrupted craft time. After enjoying the bully stick for about 40 minutes, I hear a thud, look over and Tank is flat on the floor. I immediately thought I was going to have to do doggy CPR, but luckily he had just gagged causing him to throw up and that caused an anxiety attack which caused him to collapse. Within minutes he was fine and wanted the bully stick back, but No No No ~ no more bully sticks! It's just not worth it! Now I give him raw marrow bones. He loves them, they last a very long time and are not a choking hazard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

:eek: How frightening!

Going to hell. All I read was bull penis and 3" and I thought....poor little bull weenis. *sigh*

Also decided bully sticks are a no go. That's a win, right?

:up: :yes:
I don't allow Bully Sticks in my house since that time Bertie decided to share with me while I was sleeping and dropped the darn thing in my mouth! Took forever to get the taste and the thought of what it was out of my head!!!!!!!!!!

Oyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! :barf:

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Bully sticks also seem to stay moist and will be a breeding ground for germs. I used to give them to my Yorkie but one day she got sick. She was throwing up and also had diahrreah. When I spoke to the vet he mentioned that the bully sticks tend to get rather funky and are a total playground for bacteria. I stopped giving them immediately. Now they only get nylabones or the deer antlers.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.