Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 31

Thread: Bully Sticks

  1. #13
    Pet Sitter PeterPanAndWendy's Avatar
    Location
    Lindsey, Ohio, United States
    Posts
    347
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pan Cake
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default Re: Bully Sticks

    Bully sticks! Pan says he is happy with his own Bully Stick.... I think his exact words were "mine, all mine"
    If you canít adopt Ė foster.
    If you canít foster Ė sponsor.
    If you canít sponsor Ė volunteer.
    If you canít volunteer Ė donate.
    If you canít donate Ė educate, network, and crosspost.
    EVERYONE can do something large or small, to help save a life.

  2. #14
    Potty Trainer Handiangie's Avatar
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    52
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Bully Sticks

    Where does everyone get the elk antlers

  3. #15
    Dog Park Attendant TonkaTruck28's Avatar
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    417
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tonka
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default

    All of the pet stores in town carry them, Petsmart being the biggest. I think they're cheaper online though.

  4. #16
    Kennel Cleaner Become a 4 Paw Member fortindycouple's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jeffrey Ryan
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    96
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Bully Sticks

    When Jack chews on one of those God awful Bully Sticks, we do cut off whatever he is able to pull off of it, he has never swallowed them. Actually, he will chew around them until he gets that flavor layer off, and then he shows no interest. We have probably 35 or so bully sticks, rounds, etc. all intact, just missing the flavor laying that makes the entire house smell!!
    Life is good today!!

  5. #17
    Newbie
    Location
    Shalimar, FL
    Posts
    2
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Winston Churchill Reed
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Bully Sticks

    This is my first post on this website. I've mostly been trying to read everything that has been written! I wanted to give you a quick story about bully sticks. Our bully (Winston) LOVES them. It was a great way to coax him into his crate when crate training (he's 13 weeks this week). My step-daughter cut one in half to give to him because he will eat one within an hour (the thin 6" ones). As he was chewing on this 3" bully stick, he swallowed it whole and tried to regurgitate it. When she cut it in half, it created sharp edges and the regurgitation effort punctured his esophagus. He then swallowed it again and it got lodged about 2/3rds the way down. He began coughing and throwing up (mostly blood) to try and get it out and ended up aspirating some vomit into his lungs. I took him to the emergency clinic and they were able to sedate him and push the stick into his stomach but he developed pneumonia from the vomit in his lungs. His oxygen levels drastically lowered and we didn't know if he would make it through the night. For two weeks after, he would cough up the junk in his lungs every 10-15 minutes. He's much better now and has gained all his weight back (and more) but we will never use bully sticks again.

  6. #18
    .................
    Real Name
    Becky
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    14,938
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default Re: Bully Sticks

    Quote Originally Posted by DanReed View Post
    This is my first post on this website. I've mostly been trying to read everything that has been written! I wanted to give you a quick story about bully sticks. Our bully (Winston) LOVES them. It was a great way to coax him into his crate when crate training (he's 13 weeks this week). My step-daughter cut one in half to give to him because he will eat one within an hour (the thin 6" ones). As he was chewing on this 3" bully stick, he swallowed it whole and tried to regurgitate it. When she cut it in half, it created sharp edges and the regurgitation effort punctured his esophagus. He then swallowed it again and it got lodged about 2/3rds the way down. He began coughing and throwing up (mostly blood) to try and get it out and ended up aspirating some vomit into his lungs. I took him to the emergency clinic and they were able to sedate him and push the stick into his stomach but he developed pneumonia from the vomit in his lungs. His oxygen levels drastically lowered and we didn't know if he would make it through the night. For two weeks after, he would cough up the junk in his lungs every 10-15 minutes. He's much better now and has gained all his weight back (and more) but we will never use bully sticks again.

    Dan! I hope you do an intro thread! Yes..you are sooo right..we always tell people NOT to use Bully sticks. I'm so glad your Winston is ok. Thank you for sharing your experience!

  7. #19
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,196
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11535

    Default Re: Bully Sticks

    Quote Originally Posted by DanReed View Post
    This is my first post on this website. I've mostly been trying to read everything that has been written! I wanted to give you a quick story about bully sticks. Our bully (Winston) LOVES them. It was a great way to coax him into his crate when crate training (he's 13 weeks this week). My step-daughter cut one in half to give to him because he will eat one within an hour (the thin 6" ones). As he was chewing on this 3" bully stick, he swallowed it whole and tried to regurgitate it. When she cut it in half, it created sharp edges and the regurgitation effort punctured his esophagus. He then swallowed it again and it got lodged about 2/3rds the way down. He began coughing and throwing up (mostly blood) to try and get it out and ended up aspirating some vomit into his lungs. I took him to the emergency clinic and they were able to sedate him and push the stick into his stomach but he developed pneumonia from the vomit in his lungs. His oxygen levels drastically lowered and we didn't know if he would make it through the night. For two weeks after, he would cough up the junk in his lungs every 10-15 minutes. He's much better now and has gained all his weight back (and more) but we will never use bully sticks again.

    Welcome to the site... and thank you for sharing that incident. So happy your boy is OK and doing well
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  8. #20
    .................
    Real Name
    Becky
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    14,938
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default Re: Bully Sticks

    Quote Originally Posted by fortindycouple View Post
    When Jack chews on one of those God awful Bully Sticks, we do cut off whatever he is able to pull off of it, he has never swallowed them. Actually, he will chew around them until he gets that flavor layer off, and then he shows no interest. We have probably 35 or so bully sticks, rounds, etc. all intact, just missing the flavor laying that makes the entire house smell!!

    Please read the above post from Danreed...they are dangerous!

  9. #21
    Newbie
    Location
    Shalimar, FL
    Posts
    2
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Winston Churchill Reed
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Bully Sticks

    We initially used them after reading Cesar Milan's book How to Raise the Perfect Puppy. He highly recommends them so I thought I'd give it a shot. I've also come to learn that a lot of his information is either a marketing effort or just plain wrong. I've learned more from this site than from him. I'm currently reading Culture Clash and that is proving to be a very good read.

  10. #22
    .................
    Real Name
    Becky
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    14,938
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default Re: Bully Sticks

    Quote Originally Posted by DanReed View Post
    We initially used them after reading Cesar Milan's book How to Raise the Perfect Puppy. He highly recommends them so I thought I'd give it a shot. I've also come to learn that a lot of his information is either a marketing effort or just plain wrong. I've learned more from this site than from him. I'm currently reading Culture Clash and that is proving to be a very good read.
    Great info..we have a Book Club here..look under Social Groups..if you're a big reader..might enjoy it!

  11. #23
    Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    JeannieCO's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Conifer, Colorado
    Posts
    13,413
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)
    620

    Default Re: Bully Sticks

    Quote Originally Posted by DanReed View Post
    This is my first post on this website. I've mostly been trying to read everything that has been written! I wanted to give you a quick story about bully sticks. Our bully (Winston) LOVES them. It was a great way to coax him into his crate when crate training (he's 13 weeks this week). My step-daughter cut one in half to give to him because he will eat one within an hour (the thin 6" ones). As he was chewing on this 3" bully stick, he swallowed it whole and tried to regurgitate it. When she cut it in half, it created sharp edges and the regurgitation effort punctured his esophagus. He then swallowed it again and it got lodged about 2/3rds the way down. He began coughing and throwing up (mostly blood) to try and get it out and ended up aspirating some vomit into his lungs. I took him to the emergency clinic and they were able to sedate him and push the stick into his stomach but he developed pneumonia from the vomit in his lungs. His oxygen levels drastically lowered and we didn't know if he would make it through the night. For two weeks after, he would cough up the junk in his lungs every 10-15 minutes. He's much better now and has gained all his weight back (and more) but we will never use bully sticks again.
    Great first post! Wilson had a bully stick by mistake (they shipped me that instead of an antler and I didn't know the real difference back then) and it was disgusting. I ended up throwing it away. My old dogs loved compressed rawhides but after one too many times of having to literally dig it out of his throat because they get flattened and stuck at the roof of the mouth I finally stopped buying them even though they loved them so much. Never again, not worth the risk for me.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

  12. #24
    Pet Sitter Corlando465's Avatar
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    373
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    We also decided to try a bully stick after reading Cesar's book which encourages using bully sticks for positive reinforcement AND our vet had them for sale in his store. Tank would go over to them and whine every time we went to he vet. I had read many post previously, most saying no, but a few saying okay with close supervision, so we gave it a try. I was working in my craft room and gave it to Tank on his mat positioned on 3-4 feet away. He was about 5 months old at the time. He REALLY was enjoying it and I was getting some much needed uninterrupted craft time. After enjoying the bully stick for about 40 minutes, I hear a thud, look over and Tank is flat on the floor. I immediately thought I was going to have to do doggy CPR, but luckily he had just gagged causing him to throw up and that caused an anxiety attack which caused him to collapse. Within minutes he was fine and wanted the bully stick back, but No No No ~ no more bully sticks! It's just not worth it! Now I give him raw marrow bones. He loves them, they last a very long time and are not a choking hazard.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •