Leaving Mr. Seamus for the first time

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
I was a nervous wreck this morning. We got Seamus on July 15th and I haven't had to leave him yet for a full day. Today was my first day in the office (I work from home but need to go in occasionally). We got up early to go for a walk and then have breakfast and then out again to go to the bathroom. Played for a little bit while mommy was having breakfast and getting her stuff together and then into the crate at 7:30 for the day. The dog walker came around 11:45 to walk him and I was told everything went well. What a relief! The dog walker is coming again this afternoon between 3:30-4 and then I will be home hopefully around 6:30.

Seamus has been such a joy to our family. He is a great addition! He has the best little personality in a tiny body. He is playful and inquisitive but also very sweet and cuddly. Its so nice to be home with him most days. Here are some new pictures of him: Sunday morning snuggle.jpg
Sunday morning watching golf and cuddling on the couch

Seamus working.jpg
Sitting under the desk while Mommy works

Seamus sleeping.jpg
Taking a nap by mommys desk while she works

Daddy snuggle time.jpg
Getting some quality Daddy time finally!

Crate sleeping.jpg
Seamus getting used to his crate!

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
Very cute!! I would love to be able to work from home. If I did, I would be nervous leaving him too for the first time.

buffalobabie

Apr 11, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Bulldog(s) Names
Gregory
its great you have a dog walker that will help a lot. I work from home as well, and find that he is so use to me being with him all the time, he tends to get really upset when i leave him now.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I love the picture of him sleeping on the computer table :lol: He is super cute and glad it went well...I think its harder for us than them :)

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
We work from home also so that is indeed a great plus ( though I work with my hubby :loco:) We are rarely gone at the same time but Dublin knows all the "ques" and she is glued to my side once she realizes that I am leaving. We are not gone any longer than 3 hours so she has come to know that we will be back.
That is awesome that you have someone come in when you are not there. Seamus is one lucky boy. On another note I see he has a great Irish name just like my "Dublin" I am originally from Dublin Ireland so wondering what your "story" is :)

OP
ccurran

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
Since we knew that eventually I would have to go to work we have left Seamus alone a few times already in his crate and he has done just fine. I also crate him for a little bit in the mornings and a little bit in the afternoons so he knows that he can't be with me 100% of the time while I am home. That way its not 100% on when we are home and then 100% off when we leave. Hopefully that will help with the anxiety when we are gone!

@Dubbiedog ... we named our little guy Seamus because I married into an Irish household. I am actually adopted Korean and my husband is 1/2 Irish and 1/2 German. He loved the name Seamus but I just couldn't bring myself to naming our future half-Asian children Seamus. So we compromised on the puppy. The name suits him to a tee! Trust me its hilarious when people see me for the first time. My married name is Carly Curran (very Irish) and when I show up people think they are going to see an Irish girl. They are very surprised to see a Korean girl!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
That's great you have a pet sitter that can come in and let him out, it will help with the house training. Loved the pics of him too, thanks for sharing.

KaidasMom

Jun 25, 2012
Anchorage, AK
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Kaida
Seamus is such a handsome boy! I hear you on the name vs. ethnicity thing. I'm Tina Brown and am 1/2 asian as well! lol
Fantastic pics!

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
Since we knew that eventually I would have to go to work we have left Seamus alone a few times already in his crate and he has done just fine. I also crate him for a little bit in the mornings and a little bit in the afternoons so he knows that he can't be with me 100% of the time while I am home. That way its not 100% on when we are home and then 100% off when we leave. Hopefully that will help with the anxiety when we are gone!

@Dubbiedog ... we named our little guy Seamus because I married into an Irish household. I am actually adopted Korean and my husband is 1/2 Irish and 1/2 German. He loved the name Seamus but I just couldn't bring myself to naming our future half-Asian children Seamus. So we compromised on the puppy. The name suits him to a tee! Trust me its hilarious when people see me for the first time. My married name is Carly Curran (very Irish) and when I show up people think they are going to see an Irish girl. They are very surprised to see a Korean girl!

It sounds like you guys are off to a great start with Seamus. I think you made a wise choice naming the puppy and not future kids "Seamus" :laugh: I married into an all Irish family ( Irish American) expcept our last name is German because my now deceased father in law was adopted by German distant family members. Neither of my boys have Irish names and I'm "off the boat" as they say. One of my mom's best friends was Patty Curran and then they became sister in laws by marrying two brothers. Okay TMI :whew: I always get a chance to talk about my hometown when out with Dublin:)

OP
ccurran

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
So just an update ... Mr. Seamus did great yesterday. I came home after a full day of work and he was quietly sitting in his crate. He was a little wound up when I let him out and took him out for the first time but then we played inside (it felt like 108 degrees here in DC yesterday) and then went back out for a little walk after it cooled down. He was sound asleep for 5 hours last night before I let him out for the first time. We are slowly working up to the whole night.

Thanks for the encouraging words! I am very relieved yesterday went so well!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.