Ear Infection all my fault :(

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I thought I posted this yesterday but I guess it didnt post :( Anyway we had to take a trip to the vet yesterday for Brutus. Brutus has been scratching his ear and I have been cleaning it but today it was very gunky and smelly. Let me say that its my fault he has the infection b./c I forgot to put the cotton in his ears on his last bath :( He also had to have some shots he was due for so he was not a happy bullie yesterday. Well $400 later Brutus has ear cleaner/ear meds to clear up the infection. Vet thinks its allergy related but Brutus has never had a ear infection in 13 months so Im confused. I hope this isnt the beginning to ear infections and yeast now :( Oh and he weighs 57.2 lbs Woahhhh but said that he looks good and has a waist. I will try to post some pictures later

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I am willing to bet it was the bath. Cotton is soooo important! Don't feel bad, I've done even worse than that! Yuna was not listening to me very well one week. It was almost like she was deaf! I decided to examine her ears and what did I find? Cotton still in them!!! :eek: oh it was Yucky red yeasty rust by then after a whole week. No infection thank goodness but we all make mistakes. Now I flush the ears after the bath as part of the routine so I don't make that mistake again! Plus just in case a bit of water got in it will help dry them out too. :up:

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

OP
ChanelnBrutus

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Hang on a minute....$400 for ear meds and cleaner and a booster shot...OMG that's extaution :eek:

Give him a hug for me...that ear will be better in no time :hug:

He had 4 shots he was due for which was 30-50 a shot :eek: The meds were close to $100 and then the test they did with the gunk from his ears was $91. Plus the initial exam, nails, glands...ZBoy this adds up :loco:

OP
ChanelnBrutus

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
I am willing to bet it was the bath. Cotton is soooo important! Don't feel bad, I've done even worse than that! Yuna was not listening to me very well one week. It was almost like she was deaf! I decided to examine her ears and what did I find? Cotton still in them!!! :eek: oh it was Yucky red yeasty rust by then after a whole week. No infection thank goodness but we all make mistakes. Now I flush the ears after the bath as part of the routine so I don't make that mistake again! Plus just in case a bit of water got in it will help dry them out too. :up:

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

I think it was the bath also and not allergies...I will be so careful now when giving him a bath b/c I feel so guility :(

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Did Bruno shake his head a lot? I notice Tonka does that often lately. I do clean his ears but whenver I check them to see if they are dirty and think that's maybe why he's shaking them they appear clean...very minimal build up inside from what I can see and hardly anything comes out on the cotton balls when I clean them. Just wondering if the head shaking happened for you and if that's a sign of an ear irritation that you know of?

Maybe stuff can be deep inside and unseen and I should clean them more often even if nothing seems to be coming out?

OP
ChanelnBrutus

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Did Bruno shake his head a lot? I notice Tonka does that often lately. I do clean his ears but whenver I check them to see if they are dirty and think that's maybe why he's shaking them they appear clean...very minimal build up inside from what I can see and hardly anything comes out on the cotton balls when I clean them. Just wondering if the head shaking happened for you and if that's a sign of an ear irritation that you know of?

Maybe stuff can be deep inside and unseen and I should clean them more often even if nothing seems to be coming out?

He did the shake every so often but the scratching was more often. It could be deeper than we can see or touch. The vet used the ear lighting thinamajig lol and she saw lots of gunk in his ear that I thougth I had cleaned out :eek: What are you using to clean them? I used babys wipes and vet told me to stop as sometimes the water gets inside and its not a self drying. :(

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
[MENTION=4246]ChanelnBrutus[/MENTION] I use this epi-otic solution stuff that we got from our vet. Tonka never had an issue with it but last time we cleaned his ears he was mad! He kept dragging his head across the floor like he hated the feeling of the cleaner in there. His ears don't have a bad smell in them and like I said, nothing comes out when I clean them so i'm not sure if a vet appointment is needed or not.

He has bad allergies so maybe that's causing him to shake his head. I have also heard they can get hair in there which can cause them to shake/itch. Have you heard of that?

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
See and I have never been able to get/keep cotton in their ears for a bath. Tried and gave up cuz the cotton would A either fall out due to head shaking to remove it or B would get so soaked it seemed to be adding to the water. lol Whos the worse mom now? But we dont get ear infections hardly here ever. I just try and avoid getting water in the ears.

OP
ChanelnBrutus

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=4246]ChanelnBrutus[/MENTION] I use this epi-otic solution stuff that we got from our vet. Tonka never had an issue with it but last time we cleaned his ears he was mad! He kept dragging his head across the floor like he hated the feeling of the cleaner in there. His ears don't have a bad smell in them and like I said, nothing comes out when I clean them so i'm not sure if a vet appointment is needed or not.

He has bad allergies so maybe that's causing him to shake his head. I have also heard they can get hair in there which can cause them to shake/itch. Have you heard of that?

usually if there is an infection there is gunk and the ear is smelly!Brutus hates when I clean his ears and doesnt like the feeling :( too bad I told him lol I would just keep doing what your doing and keep a close eye. If his ears smell or get hot to touch I would take him to the vet

Yes I heard the same thing about hair and debree getting in there causing irriatation and that would explain him shkaing to try and get something out.

See and I have never been able to get/keep cotton in their ears for a bath. Tried and gave up cuz the cotton would A either fall out due to head shaking to remove it or B would get so soaked it seemed to be adding to the water. lol Whos the worse mom now? But we dont get ear infections hardly here ever. I just try and avoid getting water in the ears.

Its almost impossible when giving Brutus a bath to keep that dang cotton in! I go through at least 10 cotton balls during our bath. Now I am too scared and I dont even want to bath his head :( Hubby thinks we should start taaking him to the groomer but I dont want someone else washing him and stuff. I dont think he would like it too much either :)

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
usually if there is an infection there is gunk and the ear is smelly!Brutus hates when I clean his ears and doesnt like the feeling :( too bad I told him lol I would just keep doing what your doing and keep a close eye. If his ears smell or get hot to touch I would take him to the vet

Yes I heard the same thing about hair and debree getting in there causing irriatation and that would explain him shkaing to try and get something out.

Its almost impossible when giving Brutus a bath to keep that dang cotton in! I go through at least 10 cotton balls during our bath. Now I am too scared and I dont even want to bath his head :( Hubby thinks we should start taaking him to the groomer but I dont want someone else washing him and stuff. I dont think he would like it too much either :)

Yes they wont do it as carefully as you, for sure.

OP
ChanelnBrutus

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes they wont do it as carefully as you, for sure.

I am very anal when it comes to Brutus. I dont let Petsmart do his nails any longer b.c they had him hooked on the harness on the table but he was falling off and all I kept thinking is OMG he is going to hang himself. No more i will do it all for him from now on!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
I wish I had the guts to do nails. We just have the vet do nails and anals at the same time. The thought gives me the heebie jeebies. I am such a wimp. lol I cringe when the vet does it even.

OP
ChanelnBrutus

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
I wish I had the guts to do nails. We just have the vet do nails and anals at the same time. The thought gives me the heebie jeebies. I am such a wimp. lol I cringe when the vet does it even.

I so agree! Niaails and glands are the only 2 I dont do. I cut Chanel once and never again waas I doing the nails...We usually get them done 1x a mnth or a little more if he played a lot outside and filied his own :)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i dont put cotton in sarahs ears either but then i dont wash her head just the rest of her body so nothing gets in her ears anyway. i use malacetic otic for her ears and either chloraseb or malaket wipes if there is a problem. i havent had her to the vet for her ears since. the malaket or chloraseb are antifungal antibacterial so that usually takes care of any issues i might have. im glad you got things taken care of roe. even though your broke now :eek: i think some use cotton balls and witch hazel also.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
i dont put cotton in sarahs ears either but then i dont wash her head just the rest of her body so nothing gets in her ears anyway. i use malacetic otic for her ears and either chloraseb or malaket wipes if there is a problem. i havent had her to the vet for her ears since. the malaket or chloraseb are antifungal antibacterial so that usually takes care of any issues i might have. im glad you got things taken care of roe. even though your broke now :eek: i think some use cotton balls and witch hazel also.

I don't wash Vegas's head either, I wash him from the neck down every two weeks. I use his malacetic solution in his ears and to wipe his face real good after his bath. Of course I wash his face through the week too.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.