The only survivor out of the litter...

pinkerbell81

Jul 20, 2012
Rocklin, CA (Norcal)
Bulldog(s) Names
Chancho
I'm so grateful I found this site. It's really helping me with finding the right breeder. So far, I'm attached to the first one we met. We've met with 3 breeders so far. He has the look we were hoping for and is such a bundle of love! He is from a home that appears to be clean. However, the breeder did not take us into the room where the he was kept, she brought him out to us. When we go back today I may ask to see the actual room he was kept in. She has two litters right now. The pup we are looking at was the only one that survived the litter of four. Does anyone have any feedback on this? One one hand it seems a bit scary that he's the only one that made it...maybe the mom wasn't healthy? On the other hand, he must have got the most nutrition and has a good chance of being very healthy?

I don't know if this is an appropriate question to ask but is a good range of cost typically between $1600 and $2500 in CA?

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Well I know from personal preference the higher end around here seems about right. Have seen the prices at the lower range but those are not specifically from well known breeders. as far as having the only surviving pup, I would want to know what happened for certain with the litter. Where about in Cali are you? Welcome from one so cal member. ;)

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
This is just my observation and not set in stone, but i believe you are rarely going to find a puppy from a reputable breeder with a price under $2000.00 these days.

So many factors figure into the health of a litter that I don't feel we can say definitively if being the only survivor would be a good thing or bad when it comes to the future health of the pup. Breeding bully pups isn't a walk in the park.

OP
pinkerbell81

pinkerbell81

Jul 20, 2012
Rocklin, CA (Norcal)
Bulldog(s) Names
Chancho
It seems like the higher end is the way to go but its scary to think there are people out there would only price high because they know they can and they really don't take good care of their pups :nope:

This little guy is on the higher end but from my research I don't know that she is a "well known" breeder...i found her on ebay classifieds not a site like Bulldog Club of Northern California.

Thanks Cali Jenn! I'm norcal about 30 minutes north of Sacramento.

LariP I love your baby and her cute lil tutu :heart:

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
Hi from a fellow Californian. Our EB puppy was over the high end you're quoting, but we didn't get her from breeder located in California. Over 2,500 seems like the norm in general, anywhere. Not sure about the health of the lost litter mates....just a hunch: might be a good sign the breeder at least mentioned this to you.

Also, while I was able to meet the Mom of my boston terrier and see her play area, we were not invited to see her "home" in the back. Same with our Bengal cats. Perhaps some of the breeders on this site can help you understand that. It never really bothered me.

Good luck as you embark (em "bark"?):jumpdance: on the most amazing journey! Ahhhhh.....that puppy smell! Addicting.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I would say around $2000 is about right but I have seen a lot higher so $2000 is the cheaper side. When I met my breeder she showed me her yard and I met her adults got to play with them then she took me into her house. I didnt see the room where the puppies were kept I just sat in her living room she also had two litters at the time they were 1 week apart. I looked at both litters and chose which one I wanted. Although I didnt see the room I did she her house and her yard so I know she kept up on everything and her adults were healthy. Also one thing I looked for when looking for a breeder is at least a once year congenital health guarantee, I have found that a good breeder gives this but they do tend to be on the pricier side but its worth it to me. I would say if you liked the first one go with him but make sure you know how many puppies were in the litter that didnt make it and what the issue was!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would like to know what the others died from, makes me very curious. Plus I would think she would show you the room she keeps them in unless she has another litter in there and doesn't want to make the mama nervous with visitors. Plus do they give a health guarantee and a health certificate from a vet? Does the breeder show any of their adult bullies or have a champion blood line? Breeders who show and breed for show also pay close attention to genetics and health, to try to get the best pups and health they can get, but these are not cheap. So do your home work and choose carefully. Plus there are a lot of good dogs in rescue that also need a loving home, you might want to check these out to.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
[MENTION=5481]pinkerbell81[/MENTION] Thank you. HRH has a best dressed reputation to uphold around here. ;) She does it well. :luv:

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
This little guy is on the higher end but from my research I don't know that she is a "well known" breeder...i found her on ebay classifieds not a site like Bulldog Club of Northern California.

:heart:

Two SERIOUS alarms are going off for me

1) a "Breeder" who charges different prices for pups in a litter.

2) your statement of 'Well Known Breeder' it isnt being Well known, as much as being reputable - finding her on EBAY, I would say *RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN* from that... and I'm going to call it like I see it................ RUN FROM THAT BACK YARD BREEDER

Go to any of the Bulldog Clubs to find a breeder, you will have a better chance at finding a good quality breeder that way. USUALLY a quality breeder, breeds Quality. (think about it, if you were a breeder, who really cared for the breed, wouldnt you be involved with the breeds clubs and organizations? where as if you are a back yard breeder, you just want to turn a fast buck.)

Sorry my RADAR is going off on this situation.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I agree with [MENTION=4706]RaRett[/MENTION] to an extent ......... I don't know of any reputable breeders who would post on ebay. That would set off alarm bells for me!!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I agree also. Listing on Ebay or craigslist would be a red flag to me. Go thru the bca, that's what I did and haven't had s complaint since.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
That is true, I would never list my pups on E-bay or Craigslist, and all the reputable breeders I know don't either. That being said, and I'm by no means taking up for this breeder as I think something isn't right there, but it is not unheard of for show breeders to charge more for a show quality pup as opposed to a pet quality pup. There is nothing wrong with a pet quality bully, it just might not have what the breeder is looking for to put in the show ring. But believe me they are more expensive than $2000.00 for even a pet quality bully. When people are selling them cheaper, it always makes me wonder.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Well....I must be the luckiest person EVER! We paid $1800 for Jake..then got $100 off because he developed an umbilical hernia after I picked him. We were offered a refund or a different pup..but that hernia was nothing. She got a quote from the vet about how much it would ost to repair..$75 and took off $100. Now..they were neighbors and friend of a friend..they had the mom..and used sperm from a great breeder locally...andthe same breeder Jake's mom was from. But..technically I'm sure they would be called a "Backyard Breeder". This was their second and final litter. And all pups from first litter were very healthy. The pups lived in their home and were manhandled by their 4 kids! I went about 3 times a week to stalk Jake..:ROFL: he is a very healthy guy and all of his brothers live in the neighborhood. No health problems at all and we all go to the same vet. See..I'm one of the lucky ones!

I need to add..He has a great pedigree..AKC registered and DID come with a full health guarantee.

Last edited:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
If it were me? I wouldn't purchase a bully without a health certificate , certified for one year, and must be taken to your vet within 3 days of purchase. Wormed and vaccines.

Me personally, I invited the people to come see where the pups are, but before they entered the area, I had hand sanitize set up for them to use.

It's definitely your call, you should get guaranteeing that states that if the dog gets ill from genetics, a refund or another puppy is in order.

If you are already set on this puppy, I will advise you to get these paper work's I mentioned. If it doesn't feel right? maybe it isn't . and find out why the other's passed, this is your new puppy, she at least owes you that.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I can not comment on the cost of the bullys over in the USA, as I am in Australia and I paid $3,500.00 for Ftse which I did have a look at some for $1,800 and to me they did not look like a full breed and they could not show me any papers stating otherwise. But I would like to say about only 1 puppy surviving out of four when I had my pugs and she had her litter os 7 puppies only 4 survived the night 3 were born dead and then 1 0f the 4 died the next morning out of the three remaining puppies which I kept all three as I could not prt with them which made my total of pugs 5 and you are only allowed to have two where we live. they were the most healthy pugs around and they lived to the ages of 12 and 14 what I am getting at maybe it was just something like with my litter the vet put it down to a split litter as we has Tea-arnna artificially insaminated as they would not do it naturally and then within a few days later they did which they said resulted in two litters, I do not know if this is so and if this can happen but some of the puppies were extremely small.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online