What else can he chew on?

BIJAH

May 28, 2012
San Jose CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ari Gold
My lil dude Ari gets bored of his chew paraphernalia rather quickly. I try to alternate them as I currently use nylabones (2 different flavors), deer antler, and a cow hoof. What else can I buy and add to my arsenal so he doesn't chew up my furnishings?

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I don't know what you can buy there, but has he tried to chew your furnishings after getting bored of what you're offering? Maybe he is not a chewer?

OP
BIJAH

BIJAH

May 28, 2012
San Jose CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ari Gold
I don't know what you can buy there, but has he tried to chew your furnishings after getting bored of what you're offering? Maybe he is not a chewer?

He chewed up a piece of my drywall, I was talking on the phone with my credit card company and noticed he was chewing on the wall instead of his antler a tad bit too late. He also got the side of my office chair as I wasn't watching him while I was on the internets. And he's also got a hold of some miscellaneous wires. So I am just wondering what else I can get him, so he has something new to chew on. (Bitter apple spray doesn't work for him, he actually enjoys licking it lil by lil till it wears off then he's back at chewing)

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
So you do have a chewer there....as a pup we had Usko in his pen with his own toys when we didn't have time to keep an eye on him. Only thing that got chewed was his first Fatboy bedding that was in his crate in the pen. After he got over that teething phase he hasn't even tried to chew on anything forbidden and doesn't really chew on his bones eather. He eats raw and gets to chew enough while eating.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
There are several hard rubber chew toy companies out there. Many puppies do seem to love the frozen treat type and don't get bored as easily. But they can be a bit messy, and sometimes they will lick up the mess but sometimes they won't, so be prepared for that.

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Tonkas favorite thing is called an Everest chew I believe. It's a hard smoked cheese treat. Lasts quite a long time and he loves the taste. Not the cheapest thing in the world, but well worth it in my mind. I just put a towel down on his bed and he knows (for the most part) he has to stay there or outside with it as it gets a little messy but mostly because it smells like smoked cheese which gets into the rug like you wouldn't believe lol. It's awesome in the truck with a towel down to occupy him too. I've been looking for more hard chew treats for him that are easy to contain if anyone else has any pearls of wisdom! Anything remotely soft, as I'm sure you all know, lasts 2 seconds.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
we have two nylabones and two antlers as well, and while the antlers take some time, the nylabones are worn down within two weeks...they don't have any tougher nylabones than 'powerful chewers' unfortunately. i'm going to try the everest chew, that looks pretty good, although kind of gross. :)

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
When I read this I thought this was headed a different direction.... Was going to say Oh he can chew on baseboards, chairs, couch cushions, shoes, dog beds, clothing even. From experience of course. ;)

PeterPanAndWendy

Jul 27, 2011
Lindsey, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pan Cake
They have different toys that might try to keep his attention, we bought Pan a toy that we put treats in, he has to roll it around and some of the treats fall out.

I grabbed it to see what it was called, it didn't say, so I put it back in his toy basket, he's laying at my feet now with it in - silly baby, doesn't miss a thing.

I think I bought it at PetSmart.

From what I read, it doesn't sound like he gets bored of chewing, but he gets bored of what he's chewing on.

They make a bunch of more interactive toys that help keep them entertained, its just finding what works best for you.

Heck, if the bitter apple spray isn't bad for him (I've never used it, so I haven't researched it) and he likes it, spray a toy he is allowed to have with it and see if that keeps his attention on the allowables and off the furniture and well, your house... lol

Good luck!

pinkerbell81

Jul 20, 2012
Rocklin, CA (Norcal)
Bulldog(s) Names
Chancho
I've heard about the bitter apple spray. I haven't used it but a friend of mine did. She would spray her coffee table, walls, and other areas her puppy would chew on. It helped her out alot.

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
The Kong classic is Kains favorite toy and fetch toy by far, deer antlers for the real chew time and a figure 8 rope works good too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Kongs and Nylabones is what we use for ours.

OP
BIJAH

BIJAH

May 28, 2012
San Jose CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ari Gold
Oh yeah I have the Kong Classic as well, and I freeze peanut butter in it, but he doesnt chew it. He rather just licks up the pb. and thats that. The Everest Chew sounds interesting, ill look into that. Thanks much!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.