Question before buying...

pinkerbell81

Jul 20, 2012
Rocklin, CA (Norcal)
Bulldog(s) Names
Chancho
Hey all! So I found a pup that is just adorable! One thing that concerned me was the breeder does all vaccinations themselves. Should I be concerned and take this as a red flag?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Absolutely not a red flag. I do my own, no way would I bring my pups into the vet where they could easily get parvovirus. You should get a serial # with it or ask for one. In my opinion, better they do it themselves at least for the first set.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Both my breeders where I got Wilson and Emma did their own vacinations. They'll give you all the records of the shots given when you pick him/her up. Even our non-bully Jack was given his shots at home.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
What state are you in? Different laws for different states. My state PA doesn't allow this practice. Lucky you Lisa.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
In fact in the state of PA, you must carry the certificate with you for proof. $$$$$$ it's all business in this state. Why don't they just crack down on the puppy mills? :cursing:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
We are in Arizona, I have heard so many horror stories of people losing whole litters to parvo.... scares the crap outta me. I order the best ones that I can get from A to Z vet supply, along with many other things. My vet also faxes them all my scripts so I can save $$$$ because they are so much cheaper online. Things like Neo-poly eye ointment I have 1 year scripts for so I can order as much as I want at about $3 a tube.

I can understand the regulations however. I mean, what if the breeder SAYS they gave it and never did? It really is a trust thing in the end.

Trod1

Jul 2, 2012
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
Olive, Oscar
Hey all! So I found a pup that is just adorable! One thing that concerned me was the breeder does all vaccinations themselves. Should I be concerned and take this as a red flag?

I think many reputable breeders do their own vaccinations because it is cheaper and less exposure for very young puppies. My breeder did her own. As others have suggested, make sure they are documented with serial numbers.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
We are in Arizona, I have heard so many horror stories of people losing whole litters to parvo.... scares the crap outta me. I order the best ones that I can get from A to Z vet supply, along with many other things. My vet also faxes them all my scripts so I can save $$$$ because they are so much cheaper online. Things like Neo-poly eye ointment I have 1 year scripts for so I can order as much as I want at about $3 a tube.

I can understand the regulations however. I mean, what if the breeder SAYS they gave it and never did? It really is a trust thing in the end.

I hear ya. I can't even order Heart Guard without a licensed vet script in this state, and the vet's don't hand them out. Can't even get syringes in this state without script's

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
We have to go to the vets for these things here in Australia, but sounds like a good idea.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
I was surprised to find out that a local feed store administers shots and gives you the records to keep track.

Mountainlover

Jun 19, 2012
North Carolina
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
My problem with the breeder giving the shots is our vet won't count them. Isn't it harmful for my pups to get extra shots? Should I look for a new vet that will count them if she does it herself?

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
My problem with the breeder giving the shots is our vet won't count them. Isn't it harmful for my pups to get extra shots? Should I look for a new vet that will count them if she does it herself?

Thats a really good point...why doesn't the vet recognize them? Lisa said earlier to get the serial number from the vaccinations, if you have that maybe the vet will accept...if not, by all means shop around for another vet (someone that has some common sense)....,good luck with your pup!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

You could ask your vet to do a tierer test to see if your pup is fully protected.

Whether or not your vet "counts them" should not be up to them. It should be up to you. They cannot put a gun to your head and make you get a 4th set of shots. Is it harmful for the pup? Depends on the pup, really. I do my shots a week apart so it's less stressful for their system, and if the have a reaction (luckily never been the case) I will know which of the two caused it but I am overly cautious.

We have rescued many dogs through our lifetime and never knew when their last set of shots were done, and the vet told us it would not hurt them, of course these were not babies.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online