are they worth it?

PeterPanAndWendy

Jul 27, 2011
Lindsey, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pan Cake
Just look at the pictures of these bullies.

We are all proud bully parents!

Even those of us who have bullies with health issues.

We love our babies, a love like I've felt for no other.

Pan is so worth it, I would have 10 more just like him if I could!

Yes, there are some issues... Pan had a bout of allergies, my fault - not his, I gave him bad food, that's me not educating myself first.

His food also gave him an ear infection (from the yeast in all the fillers they use.)

Many of us put a monthly stipend away just for emergencies. But what pet owner shouldn't have money to give their pet proper care.

Pan is a very healthy, well-mannered, and loving bully. I consider him, not just my pet, but one of my own.

Before we got him, I was hesitant. I never really thought about getting a bulldog before we got him. Pete wanted one, had wanted one for years. So I decided I would buy one for him as a valentines day present.

So I researched, found out as much as I could, a lot like what you're doing. I found about the common ailments, and printed all of that information out. Then I sat down with Pete and asked him... "Are you sure you want one of these dogs, that could have all of these issues?"

Well we have Pan, so you know the answer to that question.

Before Pan, we both had rescue dogs, pound puppies, you know the ones that cost $80, and are fixed, chipped, and cheap.
So after all of that research, we started shopping...and I found myself thinking... You want how much... You do realize its just a dog, right?

That was then, this is now. Pan is not just a dog to me, he's my lovey, my sugar baby, my wooly bully...
He's a member of my family, I talk about him more than I talk about the kids, I show off his pictures when I'm introducing myself. He's my companion, he would go everywhere with me if he could, and I would gladly take him if I were allowed.

He has turned my life upside down. Is he worth it, you bet! And only when you get one, and experience the love that they give will you believe it!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
I would say yes worth it for sure. I've had lots of health problems with sarah but mostly due to my ignorance of the breed n that she was a rescue. I love her more than anything. I will say this breed is not for everyone. It takes a dedication n love its a comitment for sure but oh the reward you get back is awsome. she makes me laugh every single day and yes there have been times i was like omg what did i get myself into well when you get them on the right food and such then its so great. i cannot imagine the day when i dont have her. its a love like no other.

Last edited:

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Your question makes me envision my life without them, and what a big void that would be... my own life's candle would feel blown out. Never to feel BabyGirl's face in my hands or rub her round belly and hear her little grunts of "that tickles." Yes, those simple minor silly but endearing traits and many more are what I love about his breed. When you take on a life long partner one if the traditional vows states (whether vocal or just silently understood) "in sickness and in health" should apply to our fur children as well. Life holds no health guarantee for any of us, be it health or our hearts.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
[MENTION=5113]jlj781[/MENTION]...are they worth it?!! My eyes are tearing up, reading all these replies to your question.
Because I know what they know and I know how they feel, we all know...Bullies are quite simply,
pure, unconditional, complete & total love! They are more 'human' than you can possibly imagine,
so fierce looking and yet, very sensitive and emotional, they steal your heart no matter how hard
you guard it...and you are glad they did...that they pick YOU and you are grateful, so very grateful!
When our Son told us he wiped Bruzer's butt after every poo (his GF's Bully) we were disbelieving and
incredulous...that's when we knew...he loved this girl, lol As I started researching Bullies, to help Bruzer
overcome his newly acquired allergies (at 3 y/o), like you, I was very hesitant to get one but I just knew
from loving Bruzer, this breed was special and different and every Bully owner...very happy w/their Bullies.
Out of nowhere, a month ago, I got a call from my Sister, telling me her friend needed a home for her 3 y/o,
Brutus, and did I want him? I drove 4 hrs to p/him up and while he was sweet, mannerly & mellow, I had no
idea how much I was to LOVE him like I do...OMG...I love him and he loves me back in the same crazed way!
It's incredible how satisfying and complete the bond is between you and these wonderful dogs...GET ONE!!!
I don't believe you'll ever regret it no matter what happens and may I tell you, they love everyone in 'their'
family, no one is left out, no hurt feelings of being ignored...their family is everything to them and they make
sure everyone gets loved & cared for, 1st time I've heard my husband giggle like a kid in years when Mr Brutie
plays w/him and kisses his ears and bald head! He loves on my Mother especially sweet like he knows she's
childlike (and very gently too) and he mauls my 12 y/o Ragdoll cat, CoCo, who is normally a diva and 'above it
all' but just like the rest of us, can't seem to resist his clumsy, goofy, silly but oh so sincere...affections.
Put a little money aside in a special fund, research breeders and get one that loves the breed and wants to
breed great, healthy Bullies, start them on the best food possible and filtered water, keep chemicals to as little
as possible in them & on them & I think you will have a healthy Bulldog, lucky you, Enjoy! Texas Carol & Mr Brutie

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
[MENTION=5113]jlj781[/MENTION]...are they worth it?!! My eyes are tearing up, reading all these replies to your question.
Because I know what they know and I know how they feel, we all know...Bullies are quite simply,
pure, unconditional, complete & total love! They are more 'human' than you can possibly imagine,
so fierce looking and yet, very sensitive and emotional, they steal your heart no matter how hard
you guard it...and you are glad they did...that they pick YOU and you are grateful, so very grateful!
When our Son told us he wiped Bruzer's butt after every poo (his GF's Bully) we were disbelieving and
incredulous...that's when we knew...he loved this girl, lol As I started researching Bullies, to help Bruzer
overcome his newly acquired allergies (at 3 y/o), like you, I was very hesitant to get one but I just knew
from loving Bruzer, this breed was special and different and every Bully owner...very happy w/their Bullies.
Out of nowhere, a month ago, I got a call from my Sister, telling me her friend needed a home for her 3 y/o,
Brutus, and did I want him? I drove 4 hrs to p/him up and while he was sweet, mannerly & mellow, I had no
idea how much I was to LOVE him like I do...OMG...I love him and he loves me back in the same crazed way!
It's incredible how satisfying and complete the bond is between you and these wonderful dogs...GET ONE!!!
I don't believe you'll ever regret it no matter what happens and may I tell you, they love everyone in 'their'
family, no one is left out, no hurt feelings of being ignored...their family is everything to them and they make
sure everyone gets loved & cared for, 1st time I've heard my husband giggle like a kid in years when Mr Brutie
plays w/him and kisses his ears and bald head! He loves on my Mother especially sweet like he knows she's
childlike (and very gently too) and he mauls my 12 y/o Ragdoll cat, CoCo, who is normally a diva and 'above it
all' but just like the rest of us, can't seem to resist his clumsy, goofy, silly but oh so sincere...affections.
Put a little money aside in a special fund, research breeders and get one that loves the breed and wants to
breed great, healthy Bullies, start them on the best food possible and filtered water, keep chemicals to as little
as possible in them & on them & I think you will have a healthy Bulldog, lucky you, Enjoy! Texas Carol & Mr Brutie

LucyLou

Jul 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
I've only had my OEB just over a week now and I am already madly in love with her and the breed. She was a rescue and came with a skin issue that with the help of meds is starting to clear up. All breeds with have their health concerns that a particular breed is more susceptible to. I've got a Boxer with severe arthritis in her back, a Boston with severe seasonal allergies and food allergies......but even a mixed breed can come with health issues. It's great you're doing your research on this breed. I have always wanted a bulldog but wasn't actively looking....when I heard about this rescue OEB a week ago Friday I didn't need a lot of time to think about it. As soon as I looked into her sweet face I knew she was mine....and now a week later I can't imagine how empty my home would be without her.

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
Hey, weve been looking into a bulldog for a long time and we both really love them, but while this forum is very informative and has helped us a bunch, it has scared us away from them a little bit. we knew coming in that bulldogs had alot of health problems and wernt going to be the healthiest breed out there but the amount of different problems and amount of people having problems on here have got us scared off a bit. we were planning on getting our first bulldog right away and were just wanting some reassurance that its not all problems with these cute little guys and we could have a relatively healthy dog that lives for a normal life span. i know this is a forum for help when bulldogs have problems and thats why there is so many but we just wanted to make sure that there is alot of you bulldog owners out there that have had little to no problems aswell thanks.

Worth it??? 1 million percent. Dublin has had so many many issues but the love and laughter she has brought to our home is priceless. I see on this site and many other places extremely healthy bullies. I did all of my research and felt very good about the breeder and still have a dog that could drive us to the "poor" house, but what a ride it is:jumpdance: I am working on getting her the healthiest I can because I plan to adopt a rescue at some point. they give themselves to you so completely you are in love in an instant. Do you think you could consider a rescue? or is your heart set on a puppy? Ask the breeder all of the "tough" questions. If they can't answer or wont' then move on. Ask for references and if possible go see other dogs they have homed and follow up on these items. It's hard work but so worth it in the end.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Late to this one.... Well with Cutty we hadnt had any health issues until he tore his acl. BUT he did that playing or something, wasnt something he was born with so that can happen to anyone. Aside from that he has been very low maintenance honestly. Got him from a good, reputable breeder which is of course key as most would say in getting the healthiest of them. Miila came to us with cherry eye and soft pallet issues. Both of which were easily corrected when she got spayed and so far, knock on wood she has been good since. BUT not knowing much of her breeding she is more a risk I think. Dont be afraid to get one, the love and fun they give are welllllll worth the cost if it arises. Just make sure you are prepared for the in case down the road and jump on in. ;) I will be getting more someday for sure.

Kassie

May 15, 2012
Alabama
Bulldog(s) Names
Rufus McGee
Research. Find a good breeder, with clean and healthy dogs. Talk to their vet. Its so worth it, but if you're looking for a cheap bully...then they're not the right breed for you.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Are they worth it? Absolutely yes!
It took us a long time in replacing our pugs that we lost after 14 years and I wanted a bully so much but kept putting it off untill January when we got Ftse, we have had only minor health issues with him nothing that could not be fixed Ftse had cherry eye and was operated on in April and all seems good now. I do suggest take insurance straight away unlike myself I did not take it until the cherry eye op so I was not covered and never will be for his eyes, but that is my stupidity in putting everything off to another day.
When I walk in the door after work and Ftse is there waiting for me and gets all excited that is all I need to know they are worth it, he has brought so much joy into mine and Richards life everyday I am sure you will never regret getting a bully whether they have problems or not you just deal with it. and they have so much unconditional love to give you.

I would not be without my Ftse.
FTSE 102 - Copy.jpg

marianne

May 17, 2012
WV
Bulldog(s) Names
Jenna
Farts, burps, slobber galore...not to mention the snoring.....I also wanted a EB for years...so i ended up with a 3 year old rescue...only had her about 3 months and have to admit she's in alot better shape than she was when i brought her home....people in the neighborhood where i walk her yell from their porches/yards...lookin good Jenna....since she was a breeder, kept in a cage and never experienced life in a family she has now discovered her puppyhood....so she is basically a bull in a china shop (we begin obiedence training thursday) but i love it and would definately do it again....she is the most loving, greatest personality and the best dog i've ever had around small kids

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.